Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Question on axial/vaterra kits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2015, 09:53 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Question on axial/vaterra kits

Hey guys, this is a pretty vague and silly question, but I can't find any definitive info on it.

Are vaterra kits the same quality as axial? Not the actual vehicle, but the kit as a whole.

I've built an scx10 and a 1/10 yeti. One of the things I love about axial kits is the box of spare parts when I'm done. Light buckets and other options. Also, I like how axial adds "easter eggs" like the ammo box, bull horns and so on.

For those of you who have built both axial and vaterra kits, would you say they are equal in build experience/enjoyment? How do other brands stack up?

Specifically the twin hammers... as I can't help but want to build one even though I'm pretty sure the twin hammers is just an expensive rebrand of the wltoys 949 "wild truck". I'd like a loose 1.9 version of my yeti.

I live very far from any track or hobby shop, so I am unable to pose this question to a group of like minded people without making a silly thread.

Thanks to any who answer. I'm not a complete noob, I just have weird questions and tendencies.
Dustinf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-30-2015, 10:05 PM   #2
Slow is the new Fast

Default Re: Question on axial/vaterra kits

Both companies put together nice kits in my opinion.

The Twin Hammers is a great build and a super-fun little rig! I highly recommend it.

The bag of extra part trees that Axial throws in is definitely a bonus. It wish Vaterra did the same.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 10:27 PM   #3
Suck it up!

I'd gladly trade Axials fun bag of random goodies for Vaterras parts quality.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:16 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

This is exactly the kind of feedback I was after.

Do you think the twin hammers is a rebrand with better parts? Does it even matter if so?

I find the yeti almost too big for running on the trail. It just eats things that would be considered a jump to a smaller rig.

I guess it couldn't hurt to try another brand's kit. And nothing from axial interests me right now since they stopped making the wraith kit with the full cockpit.

Maybe the new rr10 bomber if it ever becomes a kit...

Last edited by Dustinf; 12-01-2015 at 01:58 AM.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:11 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustinf View Post
even though I'm pretty sure the twin hammers is just an expensive rebrand of the wltoys 949 "wild truck".
Kind of off topic, but I was under the impression that they are different sizes and there is no parts compatibilty??
gman350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:02 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
This is exactly the kind of feedback I was after.

Do you think the twin hammers is a rebrand with better parts? Does it even matter if so?

I find the yeti almost too big for running on the trail. It just eats things that would be considered a jump to a smaller rig.

I guess it couldn't hurt to try another brand's kit. And nothing from axial interests me right now since they stopped making the wraith kit with the full cockpit.

Maybe the new rr10 bomber if it ever becomes a kit...
Twin hammers is its own deal and I believe the wltoys 949 "wild truck" is a rebrand of the vaterra model from the discussion on here.

The hammer itself is a bit smaller in "scale" than something like the yeti or wraith. It is a ton of fun though! Since I've had my RTR the only things I've done is different body panels and lights. Haven't felt the need to upgrade it yet nor have I broken anything. The only thing that I might try to upgrade in the future is improving the turning radius. Its a solid little truck that I recommend!

Last edited by Arctic Cat ZRT; 12-01-2015 at 06:05 AM.
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
I second that. 2 of my Wraith kits were unbuildable out of the box due to missed parts in one and mold/flashing problems in the other.

My first K5 had an issue with the skid not fitting in the frame rails. Second was 100% perfect, as was my Twin Hammers.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:45 AM   #8
Slow is the new Fast

Quote:
This is so true from my experience. I have broken a lot of parts on my Axial rigs and have yet to break any off either of my Twin Hammers.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:24 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Good call guys. I just realized that besides the light buckets from my scx10 kit and the radiator from the yeti kit, I haven't made use of any of those extra parts.

I'm not too familiar with "clone, copy, rebrand". So I could have came to a wrong conclusion about the TH. Also, many of the components on the rig have vaterra branding built into the part, so... that's something.

Thanks for the input guys, you really did help me come to a conclusion.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:00 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman350 View Post
Kind of off topic, but I was under the impression that they are different sizes and there is no parts compatibilty??
I'm not completely sure either. I know there were a few guys buying the wild truck and fitting TH parts; how easy they fit, I have no idea.

But, even if they do come from the same factory. The wild truck is missing many of the quality components that the hammers has. It's $189, but the motor, esc, two servos, wheels and tires, rx and tx all need to be replaced just to get it comparable.

I just hate the idea of vaterra shopping the truck from some Chinese OEM and selling it as their own design.

But I think it's clear that either way, it's a solid platform. I love that it's a 1.9 rig and looks a bit more scale than the yeti (minus the weird little driver figure.)
Old 12-01-2015, 06:01 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Did you read this? TH knock off......WL K949 - $189
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:07 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
Yeah, that's one of the ones I read. The more I think on it; it is more likely reverse engineered and copied than off the same assembly line.

This thread is most likely dead, but I'll pose my last question.

The only thing now: is that I always change my mind when I look at the yeti/th comparison.

Do any of you find the TH too small? Or is the size just right for scaling and realistic driving?
Old 12-01-2015, 08:08 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Do any of you find the TH too small? Or is the size just right for scaling and realistic driving?
I was worried about the same thing when I first got it. In reality while it is smaller I find it to run great. I actually enjoy it more than my crawler wraith when tail running/crawling. While it isn't a crawler by nature it actually does very well for what it is.

The thing really scampers up inclines/over rocks and most of the guys I run with have been very impressed with it.
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 09:17 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I've put together several Axial kits and one Ascender kit. The Vaterra kit was much better quality. No parts trees to mess with. No de-burring parts and everything was in separate labeled bags. The only issue I had with the build is that the instructions were a little goofy. Some steps it was difficult to see where screws actually went (I screwed up initially bolting my skid plate on)
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:57 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
I've put together several Axial kits and one Ascender kit. The Vaterra kit was much better quality. No parts trees to mess with. No de-burring parts and everything was in separate labeled bags. The only issue I had with the build is that the instructions were a little goofy. Some steps it was difficult to see where screws actually went (I screwed up initially bolting my skid plate on)
No part trees? That's pretty cool. I spent half the time cutting and sanding parts while building the yeti.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:12 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

The Twin Hammers may be physically small for a 1/10 truck, but it's not lacking in capabilities by any means. I've found mine to really surprise me when on the trail. Plus, other than some CVD failures while exploring the limits (driving like a buffoon) it's been bulletproof.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:18 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
The Twin Hammers may be physically small for a 1/10 truck, but it's not lacking in capabilities by any means. I've found mine to really surprise me when on the trail. Plus, other than some CVD failures while exploring the limits (driving like a buffoon) it's been bulletproof.
Thanks for the input. I was skeptical about the size at first, then I realized my scx10 is just about the same size, and that's never felt too small.

Plus, towing the TH with my cherokee scaler just seems right.

Tried it with the yeti and it just looked/seemed foolish.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:59 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Just thought I'd add:

Got my TH kit today. You guys were right, parts quality feels excellent.

Also, I was happy to see that the box says "made in taiwan" (like axial). I would assume that the wltoys k949 couldn't be a rebrand since it's made in the deepest darkest pits of china.

Funny these days how "made in taiwan" actually means quality to me. Many good things from there; knives, airsoft, rc's.
Old 12-22-2015, 06:21 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Amen!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZG0faW-LRZU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Cat ZRT View Post
I was worried about the same thing when I first got it. In reality while it is smaller I find it to run great. I actually enjoy it more than my crawler wraith when tail running/crawling. While it isn't a crawler by nature it actually does very well for what it is.

The thing really scampers up inclines/over rocks and most of the guys I run with have been very impressed with it.
TH is perfect size, Yeti is too big. I'll take TH any day over Yeti.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post

Last edited by Natedog; 12-22-2015 at 10:43 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
TH is perfect size, Yeti is too big. I'll take TH any day over Yeti.

Don't tell Roo...he just started building his Yeti. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, kit, twin hammers, vaterra, yeti

Question on axial/vaterra kits - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Kits listed as DISCONTINUED at Tower (and Axial!) Arctic Fire Chit Chat 14 11-08-2016 05:10 PM
GCM Vaterra Bronco Scale Bumper Kits Generis Vaterra Ascender 10 11-30-2015 01:57 PM
Axial Kits bluecrush Newbie General 4 12-19-2011 11:53 AM
axial axle kits STEEL_CITY_CRAWLER Axial AX-10 Scorpion 11 09-22-2011 02:50 PM