Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Vaterra Ascender some newbie questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2015, 02:28 PM   #1

Question Vaterra Ascender some newbie questions

Hello all,

first I would like to introduce myself, my name is Gerald and I am into building scale models for over 30 years now. I finally decided to sell my RC tanks and would like to buy me a Vaterra Ascender. I prefer the kit and not the RTR version because I want to learn how my rig works.

How about the optional 2-speed transmission? Is a 3-channel System necessary for that i think? In general, is it worth the buy?

I want to build the Chevy 100% water-proof and brushless.

What would be a good esc/motor Combo from which manufacturer for that?
Any tips on the servo choice? Savöx or Hitec?

I am thankful for any help,

thx Gerald
340S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2015, 02:54 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Vaterra Ascender some newbie questions

Gerald,

I have built an Ascender kit. You are making an excellent choice!

The 2 speed transmission does require a 3 channel system in order to operate it remotely. You can however lock it in low, or high, via a shim, or you could do as I have done in the past and attach a small rod to the linkage, and just pull it out or push it in when you want to change gears.

My selection of electronics may vary from others, there are ways to make just about anything waterproof, but then there are also electronics that claim to already be waterproof. I guess, the route to the least amount of work on the electronics would be to go with a waterproof servo, something like the Savox SW-0240MG, then the Holmes Hobbies waterproof ESC and motor combo, and then a spektrum TX/RX system with a waterproof receiver.

But, if you wanted you could always waterproof your own electronics. The Solar D772 Servo is high torque cost efficient, and can be water proofed quite easily. You can always get an AE-5 ESC either used or new for a decent price and then combine that with a Holmes Hobbies brushed motor (they currently have a 30 turn torqe master sport on sale for $25.00). Pick up a RX/TX, you can really use anything you like, just waterproof the receiver, OR pickup a traxxas water proof receiver box (around $12) and put your receiver in it.

There are lots of ways that you could set it up, but You have certainly come to the right place to get ideas! Have a look in the Ascender specific part of the forum to get inspired!

Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech - Vaterra Ascender at RCCrawler.com
BrotherAndySLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:23 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to the forum. The Ascender is an excellent place to start, and with your modeling background, I'm sure you'll be able to come up with a great build. Here are a few thoughts in response to your questions:
- If you're leaning toward the kit, definitely do it for the reasons you mentioned. There's no substitute for building it yourself.
- The 2-speed is fun and well worth it in my view. As BrotherAndy noted, you'll need a 3rd channel (preferable 2-position). The Futaba 3PL and hacked FlySky GT3C are very good radio options without overspending
- I definitely recommend starting with an ESC, motor and servos that are WP out of the box. Although DIY waterproofing isn't that difficult, manufacturers will void the warranty if you have any issues and they see any signs of DIY waterproofing. You'll need to waterproof the receiver yourself, though (conformal coating is easy and works very well).
- For brushless, I'm a big fan of the Holmes Hobbies BLE ESC paired up with the Puller Pro Stubby 3300 (both available waterproofed). The ESC has lots of programming flexibility through Castle Link, and the motor is super smooth with tons of power. But don't overlook brushed motors. The HH BRXL ESC (also available waterproofed and programmable through Castle Link) paired with an HH CrawlMaster 16T is a sweet combo, and brushed motors are inherently waterproof. I run that combo in mine (as well as in a few other rigs) and love it.
- For a steering servo in a 1.9 rig, I like the Savox 1210 and the RC4WD Twister Ultimate High Performance Waterproof servos. Both have plenty of torque (270+ oz-inch) and have been super reliable in my rigs. If your looking for something stronger' the Xpert 7000 is a nice option, and Hitec just announced a couple of new waterproof servos (the D840 and D845) that should be good once available. HH is also getting ready to release a new servo that will be very powerful and likely waterproof out of the box.
- For a waterproof shift servo, Traxxas servos make nice, inexpensive (and WP out of the package) options.

Last but not least, be sure to check out some of the new aftermarket options that are available for the Ascender. RC4WD, GCM, SSD, ScalerFab and Hot Racing (among others) have all released some sweet Ascender-specific parts that will help you personalize your rig.

Good luck with your build, and let us know if you have other questions.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:44 AM   #4

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I definitely will overthink my decisions with your suggestions!

I will report about the construction progress!

thx Gerald
Old 12-03-2015, 03:17 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I would stay away from doing the 2 speed...in an on-road, hell yeah...not worth it in a crawler.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:01 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Default Vaterra Ascender some newbie questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
I would stay away from doing the 2 speed...in an on-road, hell yeah...not worth it in a crawler.

Party pooper!

Last edited by new2rocks; 12-03-2015 at 05:27 PM.
Old 12-03-2015, 05:40 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Party pooper!
Sorry to piss on 2 speeds lol.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:21 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Default Vaterra Ascender some newbie questions

One other thing I forgot to suggest to the OP. Given your extensive modeling background, I'd strongly encourage you to look into some hard body options. On some of the hard bodies (like the RC4WD Mojave 2, D90, and Cruiser body sets), the level of scale detail is on a whole different level from the lexan bodies, and the ability to do a full interior adds a whole different dimension to the build. It would be right up your alley. Some (like the Mojave 2) would be relatively easy to mount to the Ascender. Others (like the D90 and Cruiser) would take a little more work. If you were going to try one of those on the Ascender, you'd probably want to get the GCM forward motor mount and transfer case kit to make room for the interior. Or you could build one of those on the respective RC4WD platform after you finish your Ascender...
Old 12-04-2015, 01:17 AM   #9

Yesterday I bought the last Ascender kit from my local hobby store

To put a hardbody on it was one of my ideas to enhance scale realism.

But for the first trail rides I will use the Blazer body - to learn to drive and not to damage a body many hours spent on it.

Can´t wait to start the build!
Old 12-04-2015, 05:13 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Oh the body will get damaged no matter how good you drive...unless your crawling over pillows in your living room.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:56 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
Oh the body will get damaged no matter how good you drive...unless your crawling over pillows in your living room.

:lmfao: One of the funniest and truest statements I've read on here in a long time... Runners are much more fun than shelf queens, and the scratches are just signs of love and great times!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-04-2015, 11:22 AM   #12

If you buy the Ascender, read this thread before building! Things to know before you start building your Ascender...

This thread offers corrections for the many issues with the kit. Despite the fact that the Ascender has been out for over a year and despite the fact the Rich Trujillo promised they would be fixed, my new kit, ordered directly from Horizon Hobby, still has many of these issues. After reading that thread I realized that I have to disassemble my truck to fix 3 of the issues.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 01:40 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Welcome to the forum. The Ascender is an excellent place to start, and with your modeling background, I'm sure you'll be able to come up with a great build. Here are a few thoughts in response to your questions:
- If you're leaning toward the kit, definitely do it for the reasons you mentioned. There's no substitute for building it yourself.
- The 2-speed is fun and well worth it in my view. As BrotherAndy noted, you'll need a 3rd channel (preferable 2-position). The Futaba 3PL and hacked FlySky GT3C are very good radio options without overspending
- I definitely recommend starting with an ESC, motor and servos that are WP out of the box. Although DIY waterproofing isn't that difficult, manufacturers will void the warranty if you have any issues and they see any signs of DIY waterproofing. You'll need to waterproof the receiver yourself, though (conformal coating is easy and works very well).
- For brushless, I'm a big fan of the Holmes Hobbies BLE ESC paired up with the Puller Pro Stubby 3300 (both available waterproofed). The ESC has lots of programming flexibility through Castle Link, and the motor is super smooth with tons of power. But don't overlook brushed motors. The HH BRXL ESC (also available waterproofed and programmable through Castle Link) paired with an HH CrawlMaster 16T is a sweet combo, and brushed motors are inherently waterproof. I run that combo in mine (as well as in a few other rigs) and love it.
- For a steering servo in a 1.9 rig, I like the Savox 1210 and the RC4WD Twister Ultimate High Performance Waterproof servos. Both have plenty of torque (270+ oz-inch) and have been super reliable in my rigs. If your looking for something stronger' the Xpert 7000 is a nice option, and Hitec just announced a couple of new waterproof servos (the D840 and D845) that should be good once available. HH is also getting ready to release a new servo that will be very powerful and likely waterproof out of the box.
- For a waterproof shift servo, Traxxas servos make nice, inexpensive (and WP out of the package) options.

Last but not least, be sure to check out some of the new aftermarket options that are available for the Ascender. RC4WD, GCM, SSD, ScalerFab and Hot Racing (among others) have all released some sweet Ascender-specific parts that will help you personalize your rig.

Good luck with your build, and let us know if you have other questions.
X2 and welcome Gerald (340S) to the forum, keep us updated and start your Ascender build thread!!

Quote:
One other thing I forgot to suggest to the OP. Given your extensive modeling background, I'd strongly encourage you to look into some hard body options. On some of the hard bodies (like the RC4WD Mojave 2, D90, and Cruiser body sets), the level of scale detail is on a whole different level from the lexan bodies, and the ability to do a full interior adds a whole different dimension to the build. It would be right up your alley. Some (like the Mojave 2) would be relatively easy to mount to the Ascender. Others (like the D90 and Cruiser) would take a little more work. If you were going to try one of those on the Ascender, you'd probably want to get the GCM forward motor mount and transfer case kit to make room for the interior. Or you could build one of those on the respective RC4WD platform after you finish your Ascender...
Harbody builds are sweet, especially with Mojave2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
If you buy the Ascender, read this thread before building! Things to know before you start building your Ascender...

This thread offers corrections for the many issues with the kit. Despite the fact that the Ascender has been out for over a year and despite the fact the Rich Trujillo promised they would be fixed, my new kit, ordered directly from Horizon Hobby, still has many of these issues. After reading that thread I realized that I have to disassemble my truck to fix 3 of the issues.
X2, love my Ascender, but come on Rich and Vaterra!

Last edited by Natedog; 12-11-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #14

You are a great community!

There are so many helpful threads like the "things to know before start building" one - awesome!

Yesterday I ordered the diff input conversion from GCM with JunFac Shafts. I think this is a reasonable upgrade and easier to install during the build than after.

The next thing I consider is to buy beadlocks instead of the glued rim/tire combo. What do you think? Any suggestions? Or is it a choice of what-looks-good-for-me?

thx Gerald
Old 12-05-2015, 03:08 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Google SSD beadlocks. They may be the best bang for the buck in rc crawler wheels.
GLHS592 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:59 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

RC4WD has a terrific selection of both wheels and tires. Their X2SS compound is excellent in a wide variety of conditions (I run 1.7 Iroks on my Ascender), and I also like some of the firmer X3 compound tires (like the Tomahawks). Pit Bull Rock Beasts and Proline TSL Super Swampers are also very good. Other good choices for wheels include GCM and Gear Head. If you are going to do tires, look into some good foams like the Crawler Innovations 2-stage foams. That will make a big difference in performance.
Old 12-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #17

I love Gear Head for top of the line beadlocks. GMade makes the next bang for your buck beadlocks that I have used in both plastic and steel. Unfortunately I can't get the stock tires to mount perfectly on GMades.

Boom Racing is another up and coming option.

I would urge against buying RC4WD beadlocks. It's going to be difficult if not impossible to get the stock tires to mount on their wheels. ProLine tires also won't work with RC4WD wheels unless you spend more money on a special internal rings.

Pit Bull tires or ProLine are my favorite so far. RC4WD tires wear faster than the competition.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2015, 08:04 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
ProLine tires also won't work with RC4WD wheels unless you spend more money on a special internal rings.
Not necessarily true. Mounting Pro-Lines to internal beadlocks can be a challenge, but even before the Pro-Line specific rings, I was able to mount Prolines on RC4WD internal beadlocks (e.g., 2.2 Flat Irons on wagon wheels) with some effort.

Quote:
RC4WD tires wear faster than the competition.
Also not necessarily true. X3 compound tires like the Mud Thrashers and Tomahawks hold up very well -- better for me than some Pit Bulls and Pro-Lines that I have. X2SS tires with larger tread blocks also hold up very well.

My advice to the OP -- there are lots of good wheel and tire options. For tires, start by reading up on what people are using on their Ascenders and SCX-10s here, and check with folks in your area to see what they like to run. If you're going to make a switch, it's also worth including a set of good 2-stage foams as I mentioned earlier. They can make as much of a difference as the tires themselves. When looking at wheels, be sure to check offsets. Many of the Gear Head wheels, as well as some wheels from other brands, have a lot of positive offset, which moves the tires out wider and can create rubbing issues (esp. if you're running larger tires). Good luck!

Last edited by new2rocks; 12-07-2015 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:41 PM   #19

You have a reason to defend RC4WD being a driver and all. My opinions are not so biased.

Mounting ProLine tires on RC4WD wheels is notoriously difficult. That's nothing new so I'm not even going to put anymore effort into this one. The OP can do a quick internet search to see this one for himself.

X3 compound will of course wear better because it's harder than the X2SS, Pit Bull and ProLine compounds. Compare apples to apples please. If you do you'll quickly find the X2SS compound wears faster than Pit Bull or ProLine tires.
Old 12-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLHS592 View Post
Google SSD beadlocks. They may be the best bang for the buck in rc crawler wheels.
SSD beadlocks are nice and good price.

Quote:
RC4WD has a terrific selection of both wheels and tires. Their X2SS compound is excellent in a wide variety of conditions (I run 1.7 Iroks on my Ascender), and I also like some of the firmer X3 compound tires (like the Tomahawks). Pit Bull Rock Beasts and Proline TSL Super Swampers are also very good. Other good choices for wheels include GCM and Gear Head. If you are going to do tires, look into some good foams like the Crawler Innovations 2-stage foams. That will make a big difference in performance.
X2, but I don't like the positive offset of GearHead wheels that makes them stick out too far. I prefer CI Deuces Wild single stage foams over the dual stage, they are waterproof and don't soften up nearly as much as dual stage do over time.

Quote:
Not necessarily true. Mounting Pro-Lines to internal beadlocks can be a challenge, but even before the Pro-Line specific rings, I was able to mount Prolines on RC4WD internal beadlocks (e.g., 2.2 Flat Irons on wagon wheels) with some effort.

Also not necessarily true. X3 compound tires like the Mud Thrashers and Tomahawks hold up very well -- better for me than some Pit Bulls and Pro-Lines that I have. X2SS tires with larger tread blocks also hold up very well.

My advice to the OP -- there are lots of good wheel and tire options. For tires, start by reading up on what people are using on their Ascenders and SCX-10s here, and check with folks in your area to see what they like to run. If you're going to make a switch, it's also worth including a set of good 2-stage foams as I mentioned earlier. They can make as much of a difference as the tires themselves. When looking at wheels, be sure to check offsets. Many of the Gear Head wheels, as well as some wheels from other brands, have a lot of positive offset, which moves the tires out wider and can create rubbing issues (esp. if you're running larger tires). Good luck!
Not a big deal for met to buy the Proline specific internal rings or in the case of my stock Ascender tires and RC4WD wagon wheels, I paid $20 shipped for a set of VP 1.9 internal rings and was able to mount this setup.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote