Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Suzuki Samurai WCX11 custom build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2015, 01:06 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Suzuki Samurai WCX11 custom build

After over a year with my Wraith I decided it was time to dust off the AX10 chassis rails and the lexan body I bought together with my Wraith.

My idea is to build an SCX10 style frame with Wraith axles. Why Wraith axles? Well, I like them, they have proven to be strong, I will be using 2.2 wheels and if need be I will change parts to and from the Wraith when the need arises.

So here's the plan. I'm on a tight budget, I will be using any stock Wraith parts I have replaced over the past 12+ months on this build and will eventually upgrade when something breaks and if the budget permits.

First an introduction to the body. I am a Suzuki Samurai 1:1 fan. I have 2 of them and was thinking of making this as wild as my extreme 1:1 Samurai. This body is not exactly a scale version of the 1:1, the front part looks close enough but the rear is by no way that of a Samurai, but it will do

Next is the chassis. I chose this for the flexibility of configuration where the links can be mounted. I like this more than the stock SCX10 chassis

Here's what parts I have left over from my Wraith assembled temporarily for picture purposes

Some parts my girlfriend got me, hey, it's Christmas right?

... and today I started and finished measuring the new custom links to fix this body on this setup. Had to do top rear links twice, not bad for my first set

So, from the little experience I have I personally think it is coming along pretty good so far. You will notice that I removed the springs from the stock Wraith shocks. The reason behind it is that because of the lack of weight, there was no compression of the shocks and the whole thing sat pretty high in the air making it look bad and I could not imagine what angle the propshafts would have to be at. Imagine the binding!! In the future I will remove the King shocks I have on the Wraith and try them on this before ordering anything.

Here's some more pics

This is as far as I got so far. As soon as I have more updates I will post some more.

Why WCX11 you may ask? Well, its not an SCX10, its Wraith based, hence the W and as for the 11, well, its one set bigger than 10 lol - hence WCX11

Thank you for reading this
JoeConti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2015, 10:24 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Suzuki Samurai WCX11 custom build

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbakrie View Post
Good thread, Thanks
Thanks
Old 12-13-2015, 06:19 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Nice start. Post up some pics of your 1:1's if you get a chance. I am a jeep fan but I do like the samurai's also, just something about them that grabs my attention.

Cheers,
Wade
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 10:08 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
Nice start. Post up some pics of your 1:1's if you get a chance. I am a jeep fan but I do like the samurai's also, just something about them that grabs my attention.

Cheers,
Wade
Here's a couple of links to my YouTube videos of the 1:1

This is the build (not my work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKxK0L4iXaw

This is a walk around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDcOHxXKgjQ
Old 12-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

looking good
Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2015, 11:55 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade View Post
looking good
Thank you
Old 12-15-2015, 04:16 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

She's a roller

https://www.facebook.com/joerccargar...4109959496782/
Old 12-18-2015, 05:03 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

A small update:-

Today I received some diff parts I was missing so I decided to do all I can with the new parts

All greased up and working smooth

More to follow...
Old 12-28-2015, 04:56 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Received some goodies today - was not sure which I'll use but when I opened the ESC boxes they are both identical, so no biggy which ESC I'll use but as for motor they are both 35T and one will be spare, right? As soon as the transmission box arrives I can start mounting the rest and hopefully get it to run without a body for now

Old 01-04-2016, 08:37 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

So the tranny arrived today. AX10 tranny .. all stock .. I wanted to see it in place although I know I will take it out again and change the gears when they arrive - also will change the main drive shaft inside it to a Wraith shaft so I can install a DIG on it. Installed motor too. Now to fabricate some mounting plates for ESC and RX ... feeling pleased

Keep tuned...
Old 01-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Started working on the electronics tray. Never used styrene before so I thought I'd give it a go.

When the time comes, I'll strip it all down and paint these styrene parts I will be adding black.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:32 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

So, I took it for a spin. Felt restricted trying it in the garage so took it out in the street. Street is too smooth for my liking so put it in the back of the Samurai and went down the road to the beach.

Sorry but could not embed the video for some reason!! Please click on the link to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqJzkbL-w80

What could have gone wrong went wrong. Drive shaft came loose from the transmission and fell off. Servo horn came off 3 times and finally lost a screw that holds the steering arm to the c-hub. It was time to go home!! 

More to follow...
Old 01-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

So after the run I learnt a few things about this setup. I had binding issues on the driveshafts - I had originally removed the springs from the stock Wraith shocks because the ride was far too high for my liking. Now with the shocks fully closed it is better but upon flexing the driveshafts bind. So I was looking for a way to lower it some more, since I could not lengthen the wheelbase because of the body, and came up with an idea:

This is how the shocks mount, on the top hole on the shocks mounts

If I do this I would be lowering it between 1cm and 2cms:

Now the shock and the lower arm are mounted in the same place, thus lowering the lower shock mount to the hole below and the shock can still close without hitting on the shock mount. So far so good, looks good and now rides even lower. Good enough for me

Last edited by JoeConti; 01-05-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:55 AM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Tomorrow I will be taking it out again but before I did that I wanted to get the steering problem out of the way. I had some 4mm threaded rod pieces left and used them to make steering links instead of the plastic stock links. I had 2 links attached to the servo horn with the opposite end of each rod going to a different wheel. This would have been ideal for keeping the steering links from bashing into the rocks but turned out to be a bad design. This method produced understeer on the outer wheel no matter which way you turned.

Removed those rods and decided to make my own out of 4mm threaded rod and 4mm ID aluminium tubing using the stock plastic links as a template.

End product

After that I decided to clean up the temporary wiring I left yesterday but these two guys came in to pose for a picture

This is the cleaned up version

Hopefully all goes well tomorrow so I can start the body mounts with earth magnets and install the aluminium tubing on the suspension arms. Left these for last to be sure all is ok before I start cutting!

Will keep you posted
Old 01-07-2016, 10:29 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Went for another test run today. Very pleased with performance but my battery was in danger when I rolled so I decided that today I will fabricate a battery tray.

Reserving the front free space on that tray for light box!!

More soon...
Old 01-08-2016, 09:38 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Today I built the body mounts. I decided to try my hand at some magnetic ones. All home made. Please keep in mind that this is my first time so here are some pics:

Front view

Rear view

This is the look I am going for:

More later...
Old 01-10-2016, 12:49 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Here's a bit of driving I did in my garage over some obstacles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yyp5F2_6P4o

Last edited by JoeConti; 01-10-2016 at 12:53 PM.

Tags
ax10, budget, crawler build, sxc10, wraith axles

Suzuki Samurai WCX11 custom build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My Scale Suzuki Samurai build oahuzuki Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 36 04-17-2015 04:58 AM
suzuki sierra (samurai) build sheeno 1.5 Scale Rigs 1 09-08-2011 04:09 PM
Suzuki Samurai Build Krazy_Polak Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 01-30-2010 12:53 PM
1986 suzuki samurai build neightfrog 1.9 Scale Rigs 32 06-12-2009 02:16 PM