Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10 Deadbolt Initial Upgrades?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2015, 01:45 PM   #1

Default Axial SCX10 Deadbolt Initial Upgrades?

Hello there,
I am not new to the RC hobby however I am new to the scale crawling side of things. I was wondering what initial upgrades for the Axial SCX10 will improve performance while being fairly easy to install. (Note my Axial SCX10 deadbolt is 100% stock)
DanRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Axial SCX10 Deadbolt Initial Upgrades?

Welcome to the forum and scale crawling. There's no end to the list of upgrade candidates, including links, knuckles/chubs/lockouts, front dog bones, driveshafts, wheels/tires/foams, servo/horn, motor/ESC, ring/pinion gears, lockers, etc. Without more info about what you're considering and how you plan to use it, answers could be all over the place. Since this is probably one of the 2 or 3 most frequently asked questions in the section (#1 being what truck should I buy), a little bit of searching will yield lots of info. I'd suggest reading up a bit and then trying some more specific questions so we can better help you. Enjoy!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:59 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply and the advice, I will be sure to look deeper into the forums
Old 12-27-2015, 01:54 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Never had stock links, but many complain about too much flex. You can build you own links cheap and easy, or buy your links.
How To: Make your own links

I built my own and lengthened my wheel base to 12.75" and it made noticeable difference

If you have the stock Trepadors they are a very good tire. I have 9oz of lead in each front wheel and 4.5oz in each rear. Stock foam works ok but does roll over on the sidewalls more than I like. I just ordered some CI Deuces Wild foams to cure the problem...I hope. Get a set of 1.9 beadlocks

You want to get as much weight as far forward as possible. If your battery is still in the rear you need to move it to the front. you should have all the parts to move it on the extra parts trees

The stock knuckles and C-hubs have held up well. I only run a 215oz servo. A stronger servo like 400-500oz can destroy the plastic.

I try not to change anything I dont need to. You could spend $2000 or more on upgrades. The best things I have done have been basically free.
dirtman71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:05 AM   #5

I'm fairly new to rc crawling also but I also have the scx10 deadbolt and i noticed the biggest difference in climbing rocks with moving the battery toward the front. I picked up a battery and electronics tray from Howler Customs – Battery & Electronics Tray | Harley Designs also the stock tire foams are not great for the rocks either so I'm using crawler innovations lil novas foams. Then replace all links with something solid. The factory plastic suspension links and steering rods flex a lot. Hope that helps.
DLeeTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 03:18 AM   #6

Thank you, very informative and will definitely look into getting new links as I am experiencing some flex as well.
Old 12-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #7
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Dirt.

Clean and inspect.

More dirt.

Clean and inspect, something broken or not working to your liking? Upgrade.

More dirt.

Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:15 PM   #8
RCC Addict

I have a link in my sig to my Deadbolt (Project:Cheapbolt) build. I have taken a budget approach to it but maybe you can find some ideas there.
Basically for a good time with the Deadbolt it is just run it and replace things as needed.
Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:33 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Here's the story of a bone stock Deadbolt. Quite the read, and lots of information.
Dudley Deadbolt's Adventure Thread by T-money
Randy Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 08:27 PM   #10
waw
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanRC View Post
Hello there,
I am not new to the RC hobby however I am new to the scale crawling side of things. I was wondering what initial upgrades for the Axial SCX10 will improve performance while being fairly easy to install. (Note my Axial SCX10 deadbolt is 100% stock)
welcome to the forum, and congratulation on your new rig..

for starter, all I could do is recommend you to read out >>> This Thread
waw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial, deadbolt, scx10, upgrades

Axial SCX10 Deadbolt Initial Upgrades? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question on motors and genereal initial upgrades sleepy floyd Newbie General 31 12-01-2015 07:20 AM
2015 scx10 Deadbolt info/upgrades sterling65 Axial SCX-10 4 03-23-2015 10:22 PM