Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Is this a smart first scaler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2015, 08:14 AM   #1

Question Is this a smart first scaler?

I fly planes, but it's super windy here all the bloody time (Cornwall UK), so I wanted something fun to do when it's not flying weather. Scale crawlers look really cool, so I thought why not.

But at this point, I'm a little lost. I'm not looking for anything competitive, just something capable, fun and reliable. The people here seem really knowledgable and helpful so I thought I'd ask.

£219 Vaterra Ascender
£95 Futaba 3PL 2.4Ghz Radio With R2004GF Receiver
£30 Savox SW0231MG Waterproof Metal Gear Digital Servo - 15kg - 0.17s
£135 Tekin FXR Crawler ESC - Combo with 30T Pro Motor

Any good?

£500 is the MAX end of my budget. The lower the better if it still fills the criteria.

Thanks so much, any help is greatly appreciated

Nate.
bignate is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2015, 08:32 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Is this a smart first scaler?

The Ascender is a great choice that is very capable out of the box. You can even look at the RTR version of the Ascender to save some money, it is the same truck as the kit (minus the link pieces to change wheelbases if that matters to you) and the electronics are good for a RTR. I'm not sure what is will run you in the UK but the RTR is about $80 more than the kit in the US. Some people like to build more, some like to drive more, it depends on what is more important to you.

Since you fly, I assume you already have a charger and a collection of batteries. The Ascender takes short packs so if you have any 2s or 3s packs around 100mm in length, you can use them in the Ascender as well. I believe 3s packs around 2200mah are fairly common for park fliers and small quads.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:41 AM   #3

I didn't even know they did an RTR! Thanks, that's going straight on my shortlist

Are there any others in that kinda price range I should look at. £350 or less is the ideal price, like I said maximum budget is about £500.
Old 12-29-2015, 09:12 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

The Ascender and SCX10 are the 2 main scalers that are in that price range. SCX10 vs the Ascender is a much discussed topic, there is probably a thread just a few spots under this one in the newbie section.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 10:30 AM   #5

Just found the Ascender Bronco RTR. Is this basically the same as the K5 with the wheelbase brought in some, because the Bronco is £50 cheaper, is the K5 worth the extra?
Old 12-29-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I love my RTR blazer ascender. I think it's just personal preference on the blazer or bronco. Check out my build in the ascender section and natedog's build thread. Tons of info on how to make an awesome out of the box scaler even better with some free mods. The RTR electronics are great. Steering servo is a little weak but to be expected. The motor and drivetrain is about as bullet proof as you can get stock. And the metal suspension and steering links makes it a no brainer over the axial products.

I don think the broncos come witht bumpers. Or if they do they're the ones for the blazer and are way wider than the body and look silly so that's an issue and possible cost over th blazer. Get one. You'll love it!
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #7

Do you know if this body: Axial Jeep NuKizer 715 Body - .040 (Clear) AX31267
will fit on the ascender, I'm really not big on either of the factory shells.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:09 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

It should fit with no issues on the 3rd wheelbase setting or the 11.9 inch wheelbase as it's close enough to 12 inch wheelbase of the body.
waka789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 05:18 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Double post sorry

Last edited by waka789; 12-29-2015 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Double post
waka789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 07:36 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Your original setup should be very good with the one caveat that you might end up wanting to add a BEC depending on how well the FXR's internal BEC (which is pretty strong as internal BECs go) handles the servo. You could save a few dollars by swapping a FlySky GT3C for the 3PL. I have a couple of each and am every bit as happy with the FlySky's as I am with the Futabas. An unhacked FlySky is about half the price of a 3PL here in the States. Hacked is about 25-35% cheaper.

Overall, the Ascender is an excellent first scaler/crawler, and I'd vote kit with a setup like the one you suggested if you're at all inclined to build. Good luck and enjoy!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

x2, get Flysky radio instead and go with your original list if you do the kit. RTR Ascender is pretty good too as Itali83 said, check out the stickies and build threads in teh Ascender section. I love both of my Ascenders equally lol.

EDIT: Oh and by the way...Hey Nate from another Nate!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 05:15 AM   #12

@Natedog - Hi, I looked at some of your posts as someone recommended and it does seem like you are the authority on Ascenders

If I'm considering kits, what's the consensus on the GMade Komodo? It looks gorgeous (appearance is my biggest gripe with the ascender).

Edit: This is the controller you're suggesting instead right? http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Flysky-FS-...-/281771647881

Last edited by bignate; 12-30-2015 at 05:26 AM.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:53 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

At the risk of stealing Nate's thunder, lol, here are a few thoughts:
- I wouldn't recommend picking a lexan scaler platform based on body. Bodies are inexpensive and very easy to swap. Other differences in the platforms (e.g., durability, flexibility, parts availability and aftermarket support) will make a much bigger difference, esp to a newcomer to scaling/crawling. Pick the platform you like (the Ascender is an excellent choice) and buy a body you like separately.
- I wouldn't recommend a brand new platform like the Komodo as your first scaler. Although the Komodo is based in part on Sawback components, other parts (like the suspension) are new. And as a whole, it hasn't been around long at all. Which means there isn't much info out there about weak points and ways to make it better. There's also not nearly as much aftermarket support as there is for the Ascender or SCX-10. It's too early to tell whether it will turn out to be an excellent platform (like the Ascender and SCX-10 have proven to be), or one that never really gains traction (like the R1). The safer bet is to stick with something that has a more proven track record.

The radio you linked to is exactly the one we were referring to. That's an unhacked version, which is a great place to start. The hacked versions are a bit more expensive, support up to 8 channels, and have some other cool programming features.

I hope that helps (and sorry, Nate)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2015, 04:11 PM   #14

Looking back, I over emphasised the role aesthetics will play in my ultimate decision a little. But the comments you made about a lack of aftermarket support and community experience with the Komodo were important points I hadn't considered.

But while I'm leaning towards the Ascender, do you know who makes the most realistic bodies for it? Sorry I'm just having a really hard time finding any decent looking shells.

Edit: I should add that I like relatively modern looking trucks or any land rover/range rover.

Last edited by bignate; 12-30-2015 at 04:42 PM.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:38 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Lexan bodies aren't made for a specific platform, so there are lots to choose from. The Ascender kit gives you parts to handle wheelbases between just under 11" and just over 12.3", so most bodies with a wheelbase in that range will work fine. Pro-Line and JConcepts make a pretty wide selection of bodies that would work. The Axial Dingo body is loosely based on a Defender 90 and can be made to look even more like one with some work. A search on "Dingo Defender" will pull up some threads so that you can see what it looks like.

And in case you were wondering, as between a Dingo kit and an Ascender kit plus Dingo body, I'd still recommend sticking with the Ascender kit and Dingo body.

Hope that helps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-30-2015, 05:52 PM   #16
RCC Addict

You can sell the blazer bodies easily and recoup some money spent on another shell of your liking too. But definately go with the ascender. You'll be happy!
Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 07:38 PM   #17
RCC Addict

All the advice you've been given is excellent advice although I'm not a fan of FlySky ratios, I know people use them without issue but I've yet to see one not have glitching issues in my local club. The Futaba is a better choice IMO except you might look into a 4PL as it's a 4 channel radio, nice to have when you start adding inches, etc. Personally I use a 3PM-X and love it.

As for the Ascender, it's a good platform...it has it's pros and cons. There is way more support for the SCX though. If you like the Defenders (I'm a huge fan) take a look at Killer Bodies RC, they make a Defender body that comes pre-painted and made specifically to fit a SCX wheelbase.
SteveC6R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 05:44 AM   #18

That Killer Body Marauder looks nuts! Thanks for recommending.
At this point it looks like it will be an Ascender with a Marauder body (kit Ascender because I will want a light kit and 3 channels is needed for that, right?)

My current list is:
£220 Vaterra Ascender Kit
£96 Marauder body - dark blue
£30 Savox SW0231MG Waterproof Metal Gear Digital Servo - 15kg - 0.17s SAV-SW0231MG
£118 Tekin FXR ESC Crawler Combo - 45t HDMotor
£35 FlySky GT3C

That comes to around my max budget of £500 (phew :s)
...and I could throw in a dedicated BEC later if it's needed.

Thanks for all the help so far everyone!
Old 12-31-2015, 12:00 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Good advice above, except several buddies and I have never had any flysky radio glitching problems at all. The radio you linked is good one, there is also the older version gt-3c but new one comes with lipo battery.

@New2rocks, no problem and thanks for answering with good advice.

Bodies are easily swapped, sold and traded.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:59 PM   #20

Yeah, I'm definitely going to go with the Flysky. At that price, even if I got a complete dud, I would only be mildly upset. Now I just have to spend some time budgeting an deciding for sure on a body

Once again, thank you.

Tags
build, newbie, vaterra ascender

Is this a smart first scaler? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who doesn't have a smart phone? JohnRobHolmes Chit Chat 59 03-29-2012 08:08 AM
Smart or stupid? Ap0k Chit Chat 6 12-25-2007 01:20 PM
How Smart Are You? BJoe Chit Chat 9 06-06-2007 11:05 PM
how smart are you? phishead1101 Chit Chat 32 08-26-2006 07:26 PM
Need Help Not Smart!! Nylintjunkie Newbie General 4 02-27-2006 06:42 PM