Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New guy from Central Ohio

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2016, 08:23 AM   #1

Default New guy from Central Ohio

Greetings everyone.

New the forums and the crawling scene. I've been a RC addict since I got my first hobby grade RC back in 1993, which was a KIT version of the Traxxas Rustler....back when Traxxas still offered kits. I know that probably just blew some of your younger guys minds. Through the years I've done a little bit of everything, 1/10th scale touring sedans, 1/8 Nitro MT's, 1/8 Brushless MT's, 1/5 Baja 5T, 1/5 Savage Brushless conversion, 1/10th scale racing in both 2wd buggy and 4wd SCT, but until recently had never delved into the 'Crawler' addiction.

Well, my wife and I welcomed our first child into the world last September and my play time got cut considerably, so I wanted to find something that was small and slow that wouldn't scare my daughter. My first rig was the Losi Trail Trekker, which was fun and the baby liked chasing after it and chewing on the tires, but after the baby lost interest, I found that it wasn't the right size for what I was doing in my living room. So I sold that and picked up a RedCat Everest 16, which is my first Redcat rig ever. I've read several mixed reviews on Redcats quality and product support, but so far I've been very happy with it. And at the $100 price point, hard to be upset with it.

I also picked up a 1/8 mad torque from Nitrorcx, again, this is my first Exceed vehicle as well. I didn't want to drop $400 on a RTR Axial kit for something that I may not even get into so I decided to go with 2 extremely cheap crawlers to see if I like it.

So far so good, I've built a little mini crawler course in my garage on a piece of 4x8 plywood cut in half, and me and my buddies spent a few hours out there drinking and driving around with our Everest 16's over the holiday. Good fun for sure. Hoping to learn so more on this site and maybe even go to a crawler comp sometime to watch.

Other than that, I'm a country boy who gets into all of the typical expensive Man hobbies. I ride ATV's in the spring/summer/fall months (Ride a Can-am Renegade 800R), race RC's during the summer/fall months, shoot in a competitive pistol league in the winter, and play some COD on PS4 with my other buddies who have kids who don't get to leave the house anymore, just like me.

Here is a picture of the Everest on my little mini crawler course.

Here is my Mad Torque crawling on the living room furniture. The Mrs. wasn't very thrilled about that.
Hoss81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: New guy from Central Ohio

You can have just as much fun with the cheaper RC's that you can with the expensive ones. Actually more fun cause now you can buy more upgrades as you find the shortcomings of the rc.
Zrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 09:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrock View Post
You can have just as much fun with the cheaper RC's that you can with the expensive ones. Actually more fun cause now you can buy more upgrades as you find the shortcomings of the rc.
My thoughts exactly. Especially as an initial 'get my feet wet' approach to crawling.

We will see, reading through some of the forums here it looks like this place is similar to every other forum in that if you aren't wheeling a brand name rig or something that's fully custom, your input gets discounted. I have no problems spending $ on RC's, but if I'm gonna drop $600 on something it better be able to do 50 mph and do backflips! Lol. Just can't justify dropping that kind of money on something that goes 2 mph right out of the gate before I even know if I like it or not.

At the end of the day this hobby exists to have fun, and right now I'm having a blast with these 2 crawlers.
Hoss81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Exactly it's all about fun not who has the most expensive or best rig out their..

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Zrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:15 PM   #5

If you have Facebook you need to look up Team Knk Rc Farm they are an awesome group of people tht have a killer place to take the whole family for a day of fun crawling and hanging out with new people thts very helpful
DirtyD0519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:39 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Hoss, I'm also from Ohio (Northeast actually)! I'm extremely surprised that Traxxas ever made kits. Although your approach to crawling is smart, I'm going the (probably dumber ) all-in route, planning on an Axial RR10...
Wes S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 02:36 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss81 View Post
Greetings everyone.

New the forums and the crawling scene. I've been a RC addict since I got my first hobby grade RC back in 1993, which was a KIT version of the Traxxas Rustler....back when Traxxas still offered kits. I know that probably just blew some of your younger guys minds. Through the years I've done a little bit of everything, 1/10th scale touring sedans, 1/8 Nitro MT's, 1/8 Brushless MT's, 1/5 Baja 5T, 1/5 Savage Brushless conversion, 1/10th scale racing in both 2wd buggy and 4wd SCT, but until recently had never delved into the 'Crawler' addiction.

Well, my wife and I welcomed our first child into the world last September and my play time got cut considerably, so I wanted to find something that was small and slow that wouldn't scare my daughter. My first rig was the Losi Trail Trekker, which was fun and the baby liked chasing after it and chewing on the tires, but after the baby lost interest, I found that it wasn't the right size for what I was doing in my living room. So I sold that and picked up a RedCat Everest 16, which is my first Redcat rig ever. I've read several mixed reviews on Redcats quality and product support, but so far I've been very happy with it. And at the $100 price point, hard to be upset with it.

I also picked up a 1/8 mad torque from Nitrorcx, again, this is my first Exceed vehicle as well. I didn't want to drop $400 on a RTR Axial kit for something that I may not even get into so I decided to go with 2 extremely cheap crawlers to see if I like it.

So far so good, I've built a little mini crawler course in my garage on a piece of 4x8 plywood cut in half, and me and my buddies spent a few hours out there drinking and driving around with our Everest 16's over the holiday. Good fun for sure. Hoping to learn so more on this site and maybe even go to a crawler comp sometime to watch.

Other than that, I'm a country boy who gets into all of the typical expensive Man hobbies. I ride ATV's in the spring/summer/fall months (Ride a Can-am Renegade 800R), race RC's during the summer/fall months, shoot in a competitive pistol league in the winter, and play some COD on PS4 with my other buddies who have kids who don't get to leave the house anymore, just like me.

Here is a picture of the Everest on my little mini crawler course.

Here is my Mad Torque crawling on the living room furniture. The Mrs. wasn't very thrilled about that.
Good Stuff...

I've been eyeing a Vaterra RTR kit, but maybe I will follow your lead and go mini to get my feet wet.

As for Traxxas kits, I had a Traxxas "The Cat" kit back in the early 90s, to put a date on myself.
skinnyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:22 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

This is great; I too recently got back involved with RC because I had a baby and was looking for something we could do together. I wear yes wear, my baby in a baby backpack and we hike all over the place running my new rc crawler. I laughed so hard when you talked about how your baby loves your car!!! My 6 month old thinks my Bomber is the coolest thing ever!
rngrchad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Your rasing them right! My son is a rc freak. We have blizzards and scx10s and he's 5. He did his first comp solo at 4 yes old.
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote

New guy from Central Ohio - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Central Ohio Scalers mini freak Ohio 286 11-19-2014 10:41 PM
central ohio ttc fj elbo 2.2 Scale Rigs 6 01-07-2010 02:28 PM
north central ohio grrman Ohio 2 02-13-2009 08:08 PM
Central Ohio or somewhat close? holycaveman Ohio 12 02-23-2007 05:36 PM