Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: help choosing 1st rc. yeti or slash

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2016, 12:36 PM   #1

Default help choosing 1st rc. yeti or slash

hey guys. im having a hard time choosing an rc. I bought a 2wd slash used on ebay and it was beat to shit so I sent it back. i liked it but i don't think it was able to climb and take the terrain i wanted it to. i live in New Mexico where theres a lot of hills and great places to run rc's. i really like the yeti but it seems like there's a lot of problems with the rtr for the price you pay. i found a new one on ebay for 370. is there a better (cheaper) place to buy one? or is that good? i looked at other threads and couldn't decide. then i started to look into the yeti kits but don't have a receiver or any other rc components that would make it cheaper. thanks for the help guys.
kyle abbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2016, 07:53 PM   #2

Default Re: help choosing 1st rc. yeti or slash

I just got a yeti a few weeks ago and really like it. I haven't had any real problems with it aside from self inflicted things. I also can't leave anything alone and even though it is an rtr it's already been torn down, so I've greased everything properly and made sure everything was tight/threadlocked.

That said it's also my first Rc in 15-20 years.
85stu85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:17 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I have both.....the slash is something I can beat senseless with no shame. The yeti isn't a true basher like the slash is a thus I tend to drive a little more carefully with the yeti (mostly).

On 2 cell, the Yeti is pretty durable but on 3 cell is when things can get $$$. But all that aside it is a very fun rig even on 2s. I always have good time while running mine.
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:19 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle abbott View Post
hey guys. im having a hard time choosing an rc. I bought a 2wd slash used on ebay and it was beat to shit so I sent it back. i liked it but i don't think it was able to climb and take the terrain i wanted it to. i live in New Mexico where theres a lot of hills and great places to run rc's. i really like the yeti but it seems like there's a lot of problems with the rtr for the price you pay. i found a new one on ebay for 370. is there a better (cheaper) place to buy one? or is that good? i looked at other threads and couldn't decide. then i started to look into the yeti kits but don't have a receiver or any other rc components that would make it cheaper. thanks for the help guys.
What motor/esc/battery are you thinking of running? How fast do you want to go? Jumping or? Would help us help you to know more. That said, I'm not a fan of the Yeti, too much upgrades required. Rear axle does not like lots of power, pinion bearings overheat, tranny sometimes overheats output shaft bearing, steering is kinda meh. Slash is fun, but if you run more than Traxxas Velinion on 2S it's going to start wearing out drivetrain parts and Velinion thermals on 3S no matter what Traxxas rates it for, it can't handle this in warm to hot weather.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:00 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Another good, fun, and durable truck would be a 4x4 Traxxas Stampede even on 3s. With the type of terrain you are talking about I would definitely go for something 4 wheel drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
toyota2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 06:19 AM   #6

The best place to buy RCs cheap is on Tower Hobbies. Join their club for $10 and you get great discount coupons. Even if you aren't a member of their club, they have discount coupons on their page.

You kind of have to decide if you want to go fast OR if you want to rock climb or at least which of these you'll do most with the RC. No RC will do both well. A Wraith is another truck you might want to look at although it will not handle well at speeds. And to be honest I'm not a fan of my own Wraith, but others love their Wraith.

And I strongly urge against buying used RCs unless you personally know the seller. There are too many issues that can be hidden. Unfortunately, you found this out the hard way.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 11:52 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I much prefer the Yeti Rock Racer for the desert. My buddy has a 2wd Slash and can't keep up on something other than hardpack. I picked up a Yeti RTR from Tower for $310 shipped after Christmas. Combination of a sale and a nice coupon made it happen.
BroncoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote

help choosing 1st rc. yeti or slash - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Yeti 1/10: Help choosing Motor & Esc please jpt145 Electronics 4 12-22-2015 10:37 AM
Slash 4x4 or Yeti JohnB Newbie General 61 07-06-2015 07:51 PM
Slash 4x4 to Yeti Conversion Possible? deadbase General Crawlers 5 05-27-2015 02:43 PM
Wait for a Yeti or get a Slash 4x4 Ultimate today? BIGNASTY Chit Chat 19 08-30-2014 10:54 PM
1st running videos of new LCG Platinum Slash at track ussprinceton2004 Non Crawler RC's 0 03-29-2013 08:04 AM