Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to rock crawlers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2016, 04:49 AM   #1

Default New to rock crawlers

Hi guys. I live in MN. I was looking into getting a rock crawler for bashing and just having fun. I currently own a 1/8 scale buggy. I don't want to bash that one as it is mainly my racing/go fast car. I'm looking at three different vehicles and I can decide which one to get. I would like all three eventually. The three I'm looking at are the Axial Bomber,Wraith as well as the Axial yeti. There is snow here right now. I would like something that can go through snow easily. It won't be limited to snow of course. Thanks for your help.

Eric
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2016, 05:12 AM   #2

Default Re: New to rock crawlers

I'd go with the wraith. The bomber motor is way under powered and you would need to upgrade it to have fun. Saying that if you have extra motors laying around get the bomber. The rtr wraith comes with a 20t brushed motor which is not great but gets the job done. The yeti is more of a rock racer and not crawler where as the bomber and wraith are commonly used for both. Don't get me wrong I've seen people crawling with yetis but not the best platform for it.
TraumaChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 08:02 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Welcome to the madness Eric, I would pick either the Wraith, or the Wraith Poison Spyder version over the Bomber for all out just wanting a basher/crawler for the RTR's since like was said by TraumaChaser they have 20 turn motors where the bomber has a 35 turn motor. If not so concerned about crawling and wanting more bashing then the Yeti.
Scroll on down to the regional section and check out some of what the Minnesota group has to offer, Spring is on the way, I hope.
Bry73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:09 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Default New to rock crawlers

Welcome to the forum. I'm going to disagree with the recommendation to get a Wraith, and not just to be a contrarian, lol. Among those three choices, it really depends on what you mean by "bashing." If you want to see anywhere near the kind of speed you get with an 8th scale truggy, the Yeti would be far and away the best choice of the three by virtue of its independent front suspension and open front diff. The Bomber and Wraith both have solid axles front and rear with locked diffs (plus a higher CG), which significantly limit high-speed handling. You can play around with the setup of the Wraith or Bomber to make things better at speed, but the underlying architecture is what it is. My 6 year-old just finished a Yeti build, and even before really setting it up, it's far ahead of where my Wraith would ever be as a speed rig.

The flip side is that a properly set up Wraith or Bomber will be a beast on the rocks and much better there than a Yeti could ever be. And with the right motor and gearing, they can be quick enough to have some fun in the park. If you're leaning in this direction, as between the Bomber and Wraith, I'd take the Bomber at this point. Although I don't yet own one (waiting for the kit), I spent a few hours before the holidays watching my buddy run his stock Bomber side-by-side with my extensively modded Wraith in some fairly heavy rocks. I was very impressed with the Bomber's setup box stock, and there's tons of potential to make it better. A stock Wraith RTR, by comparison, has a few more things that would need replacing very quickly, including the overstressed 20T motor (not enough torque for a heavy 2.2), stock springs that are too stiff, and plastic tranny gears. The Bomber comes with better components for all three of those. If you go all out with either one, cost and capabilities will be fairly similar, but the Bomber looks to me like a better starting point.

Which brings us back to how you plan to run them. If you want to go fast, jump, and turn at speed without flipping over constantly, and you don't care as much about playing in the rocks, the Yeti is your better bet. If you don't care as much about speed and want to play in the rocks, the Bomber or Wraith (and between those two, I'd suggest Bomber) are better fits. Hope that helps...good luck with your decision!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 05:14 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

X2 I own a Wraith and spent the weekend watching buddy drive his Bomber with Castle MMP esc/motor combo. Yeti is more speed oriented, but rear pinion bearings and transmission output tend to run hot in the several that friends have, even with VP aluminum rear axle housing. Wraith is fun, but Bomber is nicer starting platform, it has several upgrades already like better skidplate with multiple link mount positons, better/stiffer plastic, etc.

Last edited by Natedog; 01-25-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:10 PM   #6

like you, my main source of RC fun was my 2wd SC10rs SCT. when I was interested in the RC crawling genre, I purchased a cheap Segway into the sport such as the exceed madtorque. That vehicle was super capable and fun, but it didn't have the quick fun factor. So when I walked into my lhs, they had a bomber on the shelf...and I had to have it. Sure it's not a fast as my SCT, but it has a different flair about it. I went on a fun run with a local rc crawler group, and there was a mariad of wraiths, yetis, and my bomber. After running side by side with them, it was clear that the bomber has the speed of the yeti and the crawlability of the wraith. Buy a bomber, and have fun....go fast with your buggy when you have the need for speed!
Micro_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:25 PM   #7

Thank you for all your comments. I want this to be more of an all terrain vehicle. I want to be able to get through the snow,around rocks, go in small streams, etc..... I really lik the bomber. It has sort of a coolness factor. I do like the wraiths as I have seen many YouTube vids on them bashing in the snow and going over rocks etc... I like the wider stance of the wraith, but I like the bomber as well. I'm not looking for a ridiculously fast car. That's why I have the buggy. Ideally I would like to eventually get all three yeti,wraith and bomber. Right now I would like one of the three.
Old 01-26-2016, 04:30 PM   #8

You might also want to consider one of the SCX10 platforms. I have a SCX10, Wraith, Yeti, and a Yeti XL. For bashing, I'd go with a Yeti all the way. Out of the box, they are fast and a tun of fun. The SCX10 and Wraith, are a blast for crawling. It really depends on what you want to do more of. Each of the platforms can go either way but favor speed or crawling. If you will be bashing and going fast more than crawling, go with one of the Yeti's. If you will do more crawling, then go with a Wraith or SCX10. If you want the best of both, I'd get a Wraith or SCX10 and put a 2 speed trans in it. I don't have a Bomber so I can't comment on that one but it appears to me to be a mix of both.
CraigH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:56 PM   #9

I think I'm narrowing it down to the bomber. How easy is it to waterproof? How is the stock transmitter? I have an airtronics m12s for my buggy but I'm thinking of keeping the bomber with the stock radio so my girlfriend can have one to drive too.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:47 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Im not sure which rx/tx comes with the RR10 but I'm happy enough with the AX3 that came with my SCX10 and Yeti rtr's so I went with the same system in my Wraith kit. Its a good setup if you only need a cheap 2ch system.

If you're looking to run in the snow, the 2.2s on the Wraith and Bomber will be better than the 1.9s of the SCX10. That said, I love my Honcho. Its a little more challenging to drive with the 1.9s and of course it looks more realistic looking than the Wraith.

There's my 2 cents.
DeviledEggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 10:53 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

I'm a new too, just jumped into rc crawling. I went with a bomber, love it for bashing. But I do see a scale crawler in my not too distant future. Looking towards an scx10
ddewey78 is offline   Reply With Quote

New to rock crawlers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rock Crawlers NOT Welcome!?!?! desertmaxx Chit Chat 46 09-02-2011 06:15 PM
new to rock crawlers DieHard Newbie General 5 12-10-2010 10:18 AM
Mostly for my Rock Crawlers Da Hermit General Crawlers 0 01-30-2009 09:42 AM
Rock Crawlers of ATL. 10/18/08 Sponsored by Sinastir Crawlers TLTRyan Competitions 24 10-20-2008 07:02 AM
Welcome to CT Rock Crawlers MattH Connecticut 1 01-22-2008 11:33 AM