Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: RC Basics: 3 Trail Truck And Crawler Maintenance Tips

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2016, 10:43 AM   #1

Default RC Basics: 3 Trail Truck And Crawler Maintenance Tips

Here is some advise for those folks just starting out or even a good read for the vets out there.
Thank you have a great day

Please click the link:

RC Basics: 3 Trail Truck And Crawler Maintenance Tips - AsiaTees.com
RCTrailblazr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-08-2016, 04:33 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: RC Basics: 3 Trail Truck And Crawler Maintenance Tips

Here you go:

Quote:
RC Basics: 3 Trail Truck And Crawler Maintenance Tips

In this trail truck maintenance blog I talk about what's going to help keep your all-weather condition rig running all year round.

I have driven my Axial Wraith over thousands of kilometers across southern Alberta, Canada,. I've found that nothing destroys a trail day more than having to carry your rig out of the trail. You want to limit breakdowns of this fashion in the shop at home, the garage or kitchen counter. A lot can happen or build up in your rig from running it in and out of water, snow, and mud. The fact of the matter is that the parts that you have purchased can last a lot longer with some simple care and attention.

1. Tires:

Starting off with tires, Just like a full-sized rig, you're going to want to clean them once in awhile, but more importantly, you should condition them with a silicone oil-based lubricant after you have cleaned them. This is going to keep your tires soft as well as prevent small cracks in the rubber.

2. Electronics:

Next would be electronics. After waterproofing your rig, a look here and there once in a while is good to make sure those seals or sprays are holding up. Re-dipping or re-spraying may be in order to keep those vital parts free of any moisture.

With motors, I find just keeping them clean and free of debris is best. Make sure to replace old brushes in brushed motors and give it a quick clean water-only wash for both brushed & brushless motors. The key with both set-ups is to keep oil and dirt out using a nylon sock or leg sock sort of item to strap around the motor with a zip-tie. This is going to keep that unwanted dirt out.

3. Axles:

Moving onto axles, I tend to take mine apart every few months or so. I remove the old grease and replace it with new grease. This is a good tip as grease tends to catch all that sand and dirt out there which is just going to slowly eat away at your differential gears. I use a marine grease, which is water resistant. This works well for the amount of moisture my truck sees. I find that the key to applying grease to the axles is to fill them, this allows for nothing else to enter and attack your parts.

These tips can be done throughout the year. The post-run advice is much easier to follow. From checking loose screws, leaky shocks, and any unseen damage due to excessive trailing fun, a quick look at the tires and around the rig can be done in no time at all. Before my rig hits the shelf for the night I ensure it's as dry as possible and place it on it's side or roof. This way my tires won't go flat from sitting before my next trail run.

Trailing year round is a real blast and working on your truck is just part of it all. With these types of tips you can run all seasons of the year with ease so why not make your maintenance easy with a set of tools from the store? Click the Shop Now button below to pick up some awesome tools to keep your rig maintained and strong.

Also please check out my YouTube and Instagram to see all the adventures I have with my Wraith! Thank you for reading and until next time...
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:42 PM   #3
MODERATOR™

"Click the Shop Now button below to pick up some awesome tools to keep your rig maintained and strong."

Spammer.

Silicone oil base on the tires? Uh... no. Clean. Nothing more. If that.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:29 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Negative on filling the axles with grease...
lonleycreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Silicone on tires? I'm calling bull chit!
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:20 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonleycreeper View Post
Negative on filling the axles with grease...
I've heard it both ways. I know some people just fill the shaft housing but not the gearbox. I've also heard people who are always in wet conditions or regularly submerge their rigs will fill the axles, but it usually washes out and they'll have to re-apply it after long sessions. What's your take on it? Is there a "one-size-fits-all" approach for axle maintenance? Would be interesting to hear what you guys think.
AsiaTeesHobbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:44 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AsiaTeesHobbies View Post
I've heard it both ways. I know some people just fill the shaft housing but not the gearbox. I've also heard people who are always in wet conditions or regularly submerge their rigs will fill the axles, but it usually washes out and they'll have to re-apply it after long sessions. What's your take on it? Is there a "one-size-fits-all" approach for axle maintenance? Would be interesting to hear what you guys think.
Water and silt will always get into everything, it's just a law of nature. Grease the gears as little as you can get away with (to reduce drag) and open / clean everything after you submerge your rig every time. Or don't and just be prepared to replace bearings and deal with rust.

There's no such thing as a "waterproof" rig.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:47 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark View Post
Water and silt will always get into everything, it's just a law of nature. Grease the gears as little as you can get away with (to reduce drag) and open / clean everything after you submerge your rig every time. Or don't and just be prepared to replace bearings and deal with rust.

There's no such thing as a "waterproof" rig.
Makes sense. Every time we run in Hong Kong, it'll always get wet (Hong Kong rains a ton). We grease gears quite a bit. Never filled, but we're very generous with how much we add. Could probably do with dialing it back a bit. Will probably start doing that haha.
AsiaTeesHobbies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
how to, maintenance, review, tips, trail trucks

RC Basics: 3 Trail Truck And Crawler Maintenance Tips - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
~~ Crawler Basics ~~ Stormin2u Chit Chat 16 05-10-2022 09:53 AM
1.9 trail crawler truck wkxtreme 1.9 Scale Rigs 8 11-24-2008 01:38 AM
Painting Basics - Painting Tips and Tricks stampedeproject Paint and Body 0 03-09-2008 10:39 PM
h2 crawler/trail truck c0astie31 Large Scale Rigs 5 11-03-2007 08:15 PM