Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Where did the true rock crawlers go?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2016, 06:21 PM   #1

Default Where did the true rock crawlers go?

Hi,
I'm new to this forum as a result of nobody in my town that's interested in RC crawlers and there seems to be a lot of great minds here. My question is in the title. I've been operating RC's, such as a modified Stadium Blitzer and the Tamiya Subaru TB-01 Impreza 2001 Prototype for a couple years. I'm not new to RC's but, I'm new to crawlers and I'm no expert either so I thank you all in advance for all your help. Where can you purchase real deal crawlers? I recently purchased the HPI Crawler King and yes the steering servo is on the axle lol. It's not a terrible crawler. It's great for scaling and mild rock crawling. But, really there is nothing out there for purchase in the realms of the xr10 for example. All I see are Redcats, Losi Night Crawlers, and oversized Exceeds. I say oversized because the 1/8 scale would be ideal if it were 1/10 with the moa and other upgrades. You get the point. It seems that even Axial revolves around scaling instead of crawling with all the good stuff being discontinued. I've checked online stores, EBay etc. and nothing. Is there a company that I'm missing that has true rock crawlers? This maybe a stupid question but I'm seriously scrambling for a great crawler. The HPI is VERY limited in its upgrades and performance so I'm looking for something else that is more like Axial's XR. This is my first start to a thread and I've never been on a forum before. I'll have better questions in the future. I thought this might be a good icebreaker.
Thank you.
JRock77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2016, 06:30 AM   #2
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Default Re: Where did the true rock crawlers go?

I think we get this question at least once every two weeks now.

Where could we put the information that you would find it easily?
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:45 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Easiest way is to see if there are any comps or social get togethers local in your area, and have a chat with the blokes there and see what they have and what parts were used. Thats the easiest way id say..
1tuff40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:55 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

By a star, watch the for sale section. Sounds like you are like me and like comp rigs as opposed to the scale stuff. There are a lot of vendors here that sell amazing stuff. I am in the process of building a 2.2s truck. I have bought everything from there or the for sale section. Read the builds. Knowhat you want to today. Talk to people, go to meets and stay active it will all come together

Its not a cheap hobby by any stretch but time and a little patient is what you need. And drive as much as you can.

Good luck!
jason1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:00 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
I think we get this question at least once every two weeks now.

Where could we put the information that you would find it easily?

Sticky in the newbie section? I dont follow the MOA scene all that closely but I don't know of anyone still developing parts for them other than you. There seems to be a smaller far more hardcore group still running and building them these days.

And with the development of MOA parts and the subsequent parts interchange and overlap the shafty end of the spectrum has gotten closer in crawling ability to MOA than ever before so not as many people see the need to go MOA.

Just my take on it anyway.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:48 AM   #6
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tuff40 View Post
Easiest way is to see if there are any comps or social get togethers local in your area, and have a chat with the blokes there and see what they have and what parts were used. Thats the easiest way id say..
Agreed. Check your state's regional section here on RCC. You should be able to find some groups that are close to you:

Midwest - Michigan at RCCrawler.com

They should be able to steer you in a direction that will get you what you want.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:55 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

RC4WD has Bully 2 MOA axles. They are good axles out of the box, a few tweaks and it go time.

Bully 2 Competition Crawler Front Axle

Bully 2 Competition Crawler Rear Axle

Add chassis, shocks, etc... and you are on your way.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:16 AM   #8
Wanna get? Gotta want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Sticky in the newbie section?
Maybe?

We have stickies in the Gen4x4 that have all the info. We also have stickies in every significant MOA section. Bully, Berg and XR.

Also, you can search for this information and see that every time this conversation comes up, people answer the question.

I guess I just get frustrated by putting in so much work to make the information so easy to get to but then people cant or dont want to look for it.

To answer the question... you can still get RTR axles from:
Dlux
RC4wd
NitroRCX

After you choose the axles, there are many vendors who offer all the other parts. Its best to go into each of the MOA sections Bully, Berg and XR and do some reading. OR, if you want to be really lazy about it, just message me and tell me how much you want to spend and I can set you up with an entire car.
Erik D_lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:06 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik D_lux View Post
Maybe?

We have stickies in the Gen4x4 that have all the info. We also have stickies in every significant MOA section. Bully, Berg and XR.

Also, you can search for this information and see that every time this conversation comes up, people answer the question.

I guess I just get frustrated by putting in so much work to make the information so easy to get to but then people cant or dont want to look for it.

To answer the question... you can still get RTR axles from:
Dlux
RC4wd
NitroRCX

After you choose the axles, there are many vendors who offer all the other parts. Its best to go into each of the MOA sections Bully, Berg and XR and do some reading. OR, if you want to be really lazy about it, just message me and tell me how much you want to spend and I can set you up with an entire car.

Maybe a "Want a Comp Crawler?" thread stickied in this thread with links to the other threads?
VMGontheRocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 02:27 PM   #10
No idea what I'm doing

I think Erik is right though...stickies don't really do anything here on RCC. Look at all the "Classified" stickies we have and still the question is asked regularly.

I'm on other forums where if you start typing out the title to a thread you want to start, suggestions for other threads that are already started will pop up. Why do we not have that ability enabled here?
Old 04-29-2016, 02:44 PM   #11
MODERATOR™

We would need active admins, CHUD.

Stickies are 99% pointless.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 03:21 PM   #12
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
We would need active admins, CHUD.

Stickies are 99% pointless.
Logic won't solve this.

Where did the true rock crawlers go? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Black Label Crawlers "True" Losi OTA Steering Kit!! Jeepial Team Losi Comp Crawler 21 02-11-2011 07:26 AM
RC4WD True Scale Beadlock and Rock Creeper tarmo120 Tires and Wheels 6 02-04-2010 11:04 AM