Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Scale Comp vs Non-Comp Tires

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2016, 10:02 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Scale Comp vs Non-Comp Tires

Hi, I'm new to this hobby and have been working on a scale rig. There is a competition in my area next weekend and I signed up for a relaxed scale 1.9 competition. The only major thing is the rigs have 1.9 wheels with non comp tires. I've had a hard time finding out what exactly is the difference and which kind of non-comp tire I should get. Thanks for any help.
Xtacy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Scale Comp vs Non-Comp Tires

Perhaps some more information from you; class of your rig, any information on what rules the comp will be following, and what you have on your rig now. That would help the greater community with a helpful response.
Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

http://sorrca.com/rules/2016rules.pdf

http://sorrca.com/rules/2016coursepoints.pdf

These may help as well. Gives all the SORRCA rules and will address what tire size for each class as well as any tire that is not allowed for scale comps.
Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:28 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

If it's a "relaxed scale 1.9 competition" your best bet is to talk to the organizer or someone who frequents it. "relaxed" makes me think they are not following the SORRCA rules, but probably have their own set of rules loosely based on SORCCA.
Brainanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Contact the track owner/operator and ask what tires are legal and/or not legal for their competitions. I'm betting they can give you much more accurate information on their rules than anyone here can. Once you find out what you can and can't use, there are plenty of tire "experts" here that can recommend their favorite brand/model tire.
Soldat Vaillant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 08:50 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thank you all for so much feedback. I reached out to the organizer before I posted and the response was it will be a relaxed scale but you must have 1.9 wheels and non comp tires. I had the SORRCA rules before asking and figure I will just avoid purchasing the banned tires and follow class 1 rules. I have 1.9 hot racing lug steel beadlocks coming in but no tires for them as of yet. Other than that my rig fits all the other class 1 rules, I think haha. Just want to get out and climb with some others!
Old 05-07-2016, 09:21 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

What are you running? Just curious.
dubyas1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 05:50 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Starting with a cheapie HG P402, actually got the 601 and took off the last 2 wheels for now. I've upgraded to metal chassis, scx10 aluminum knuckles/c hubs/steering links, aluminum suspension links, metal servo, converted the battery to the front, changed the esc and a 55t novak. Along with lights, roof rack and a couple small accessories coming. Also upgraded to aluminum driveshafts but have a pair of hd wildboars coming for backup. Have the 1.9 wheels coming and will weight them but still need to choose tires :/
Old 05-08-2016, 08:03 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

sounds like a great start! i started back into the hobby with a redcat everest 10 converted into an scx10, nothing wrong starting cheap, i actually am wanting to get one of those hg 6x6's at some point myself.
dubyas1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 09:23 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to the hobby. If you're looking for a 1.9" C1 tire (4.19" OD or shorter), your best bet will be one of the RC4WD tires with the X2SS compound. The 4.19" version of the Baja Claws and the Kryptons are both excellent. You can also stretch the 1.7" Irok tires onto 1.9" wheels. I swap out the stock RC4WD foams for firmer ones on most tires (esp. on heavier rigs), but the stock foams on the Kryptons have done very well for me.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 05:32 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

My guess if it's a "relaxed 1.9" it means don't use a comp tire like the 1.9 HB rover or sedona. They're tough to find anyway. Just use a scale tire and you'll be good to go. Personally if you want to do anything decent you'll need a 4.5" to 4.75" 1.9 tire so your axle can clear some rocks. Especially if you're new at this. Pitbull rock beast 1.9 is a great start. Voodoo KLR, Pitbull Growler (cut), proline super swamper xl, rc4wd irok, even axial trepadors. All good tire and have their good and bad features. Most importantly is to get good foams and vent the tires. Crawler innovations 'lil Nova 2 stage is the way to go.
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:39 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

You guys have been really helpful and I will be looking at either Pitbulls or RC4WD Kryptons. Any input on adding the RC4WD Rock Crushers to the mix? I will probably end up getting a 2 sets of 4 because I would likely need a class 1 and 2 going forward, what do you guys think?
Old 05-09-2016, 04:02 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

I have put together a Google Doc of every tire I could find. You can filter by size ranges to find the ones that fit in a specific class.

Google Doc - Tire Spreadsheet with Sizes, Weights and Prices
mikebecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

That's awesome, definitely going to be using this as I'll probably be investing in different tire sizes/types going forward. Thanks for sharing you information!
Old 05-09-2016, 05:19 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtacy33 View Post
You guys have been really helpful and I will be looking at either Pitbulls or RC4WD Kryptons. Any input on adding the RC4WD Rock Crushers to the mix? I will probably end up getting a 2 sets of 4 because I would likely need a class 1 and 2 going forward, what do you guys think?

The Rock Crushers use the firmer X3 compound. That compound works fine as an all around trail tire (esp with heavier rigs), but it's not the best compound if you're going to comp. In the C2 sizes, Mike's suggestions are spot on, as are the larger RC4WD Baja Claws.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Ok, will take a pick from the selections you guys have provided. My rig is about 8lbs and not sure if that classifies it as heavy or not. That is with the current wheel/tire combo which will not be used but I weighted. I will be weighting the new wheel/tire combo as well with the same amount of weight so figuring it would likely weight the same as it does now. Appreciate all of the help and glad I signed up to the forum as I've been stalking it for a month or so now, haha.