Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: make my own suspension links

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2016, 05:25 PM   #1

Smile make my own suspension links

hello,

I am wanting to make my own suspension links out of aluminum or steel tubing. I want to thread the tubing with a 3mm tap. and use some 3mm set screws. I need help in locating the correct size tubing, the 3mm set screws, and some factory type ball links (I already have some traxxas ball links, however I would like to locate some axial type ball links).

also, where could I find some 1/8'' or 3/32'' nylon or plastic or composite plate? as I want to make the side rails for my chassis. oh and nylon or plastic tubing, with a i.d. of 2mm or so that I can thread some 3mm screws into. to join the two frame rails together.

any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been looking for some online suppliers with little luck. my brain is getting online fried! lol. too much computer time as it were.

take care

earl
alaskacreeperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: make my own suspension links

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskacreeperdude View Post
hello,

I am wanting to make my own suspension links out of aluminum or steel tubing. I want to thread the tubing with a 3mm tap. and use some 3mm set screws. I need help in locating the correct size tubing, the 3mm set screws, and some factory type ball links (I already have some traxxas ball links, however I would like to locate some axial type ball links).

also, where could I find some 1/8'' or 3/32'' nylon or plastic or composite plate? as I want to make the side rails for my chassis. oh and nylon or plastic tubing, with a i.d. of 2mm or so that I can thread some 3mm screws into. to join the two frame rails together.

any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been looking for some online suppliers with little luck. my brain is getting online fried! lol. too much computer time as it were.

take care

earl
Making links has been done to death. I would suggest searching the site for them, only because there are so many ways to do them.

You can find almost any type of tubing here, plate, rod or stock. McMaster-Carr

Check out does not give you shipping prices, but you can call and they will provide you with an estimate or you can place the order right then and there.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:49 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

What I did to make my links was pretty simple. Grabbed some 8/32 threaded rod for Home Depot and some 1/4 brake line from autozone. Used Traxxas rod ends. Used the threaded rod to get my lengths set. Then cut them to size. Measured how much brake line i would need and then cut also. Attached ends and was done. Have also used refrigerator/freezer water hose(can't remember the exact size) and you get a lot for a good price. I still have 3/4 a roll left over.
Betts818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:32 PM   #4

thanks guys. I see what I can get and get done. I placed an order with McMaster carr last Thursday and I received my package on Monday(memorial day). they are awesome.
take care all. and ill be back!
alaskacreeperdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 07:53 PM   #5

Will probably have to do this for my AX10...thanks for the information.
derek1387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:21 AM   #6

I purchase stainless steel standoffs and 8-32 setscrews from McMaster Carr. Then I got revo rod ends and tapped them to 8-32 threads. Worked out well.
freebird400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:59 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Glad it worked out for you I use the Traxxas ends due to cheap cost and I have a ton of 8/32 rod at work and my buddy owns a mechanic shop i "steal" the brake line from. so basicly get links for the cost of the rod ends!!
Betts818 is offline   Reply With Quote

make my own suspension links - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suspension links imcochrane Axial Wraith 0 06-11-2013 07:40 AM
Suspension links IslandScaler Axial Wraith 5 10-05-2011 08:33 PM
Best way to do suspension links? cj104 Tools, and Procedures 9 03-19-2008 10:46 PM