Notices

Thread: Axial + Monster Jam?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2016, 12:48 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Axial + Monster Jam?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROWDY RACING View Post
The open diffs don't hold up well to clod size tires.
The guy doing the Facebook live stream said they tested it with Clod tires and it held up just fine.
chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2016, 12:53 PM   #82
Pebble Pounder

I actually don't mind the body, but I find the green cage really makes it look cheap even though I know the real truck has a green cage. Maybe it looks better in person.
norco kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:53 PM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino View Post
The guy doing the Facebook live stream said they tested it with Clod tires and it held up just fine.
I've blown up sets of diff gears and seen many fail racing, it's a know problem with ar60 MTs.

If we could get a hardened steel diff gear set that would be tits, hint hint Axial.

Last edited by ROWDY RACING; 07-21-2016 at 12:58 PM.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 12:59 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Because when they stop making them they will be sold on e bay for a fortune like the Traxxas Diggers.
I wont be selling mine though ever! digger fan since I was born.

there are rc cars and trucks worth hoarding. because usually they end up being rare because of no repop.

like why do I have 3 brat hardbodies? cause I can.

things go out of production and sometimes just never come back.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 01:08 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

New toys, yay!

Last edited by MattTheGenus; 07-21-2016 at 01:46 PM.
MattTheGenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:24 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Super cool! Really like the looks of this!

I made a few wraith axle'd MT's back in 2012-2013. (Shameless plug)

Szczerba's Monster Truck Build on AR60's

Szczerba's Wraith Monster Truck Build #2

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:27 PM   #87
Chassis & Tubework Vendor

Quote:
I've blown up sets of diff gears and seen many fail racing, it's a know problem with ar60 MTs.

If we could get a hardened steel diff gear set that would be tits, hint hint Axial.

I do agree that a hardened steel diff gear set would be awesome, but I have not had a problem with the diff gears in my ar60 based trucks. I think the key is having either a center diff (best option) or slipper setup which the SMT10 has. However in my experience the axle shafts do bend and break fairly easily. So I upgraded to VP housings, Dlux front knuckles with 8mm stubs, and custom 8mm stubbed rear axles.
MG200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:29 PM   #88
I wanna be Dave

Come to think of it, I still have the CAD files to my delrin cut chassis in build #2. Same running gear so the swap would be easy, I think.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:36 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

I'm completely inexperienced with these types of monster truck RCs but I have always been very curious about them and am starting to get really drawn to the bashing and jumping fun factor of these cool trucks. I have a sincere question and I hope someone can explain this to me. What is the difference between getting one of these SMT10s for $400 or a Traxxas Skully for half that besides the obvious licensing and 4wd? Licensing doesn't need to be explained, if you love it, that's reason enough but is the rest of the truck really worth that much more? Does 4wd really make that much of a difference in fun factor and handling? These look like ham fisted, prepubescent driving style, basher trucks that get ridden hard and put away wet. Is the experience of the Axial really worth twice the price of the Traxxas? Another thought is top speed. I know the Traxxas will do 30+ out of the box, what is the Axial good for?
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:43 PM   #90
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCREAMER View Post
I'm completely inexperienced with these types of monster truck RCs but I have always been very curious about them and am starting to get really drawn to the bashing and jumping fun factor of these cool trucks. I have a sincere question and I hope someone can explain this to me. What is the difference between getting one of these SMT10s for $400 or a Traxxas Skully for half that besides the obvious licensing and 4wd? Licensing doesn't need to be explained, if you love it, that's reason enough but is the rest of the truck really worth that much more? Does 4wd really make that much of a difference in fun factor and handling? These look like ham fisted, prepubescent driving style, basher trucks that get ridden hard and put away wet. Is the experience of the Axial really worth twice the price of the Traxxas? Another thought is top speed. I know the Traxxas will do 30+ out of the box, what is the Axial good for?
First off I owned a traxxas one when monster jam was their partner...there is no way that truck will do 30 out of the box you will need to upgrade to brushless. The other big thing is the traxxas stampede is nowhere near scale in ANY way. IFS/IRS, 2wd, rear motor. The Axial truck is obviously solid axle scale tubes frame with sway bars etc...the leading and trailing arms aren't scale but perform well if scale isnt a huge deal for you. It can easily be converted to standard links and shock on axle setup it appear.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:46 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Yes, thank you Fr8cture, I forgot to mention the obvious scale advantage of the Axial. I'm looking at these two trucks more from a purely fun factor standpoint.
SCREAMER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:50 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yes, thank you Fr8cture, I forgot to mention the obvious scale advantage of the Axial. I'm looking at these two trucks more from a purely fun factor standpoint.
I had quite a bit of fun with my digger stampede once I put a VXL in it...that said I've always wanted a solid axle monster truck and yet to get one. Maybe if Axial releases a kit.
fr8cture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 02:59 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino View Post
The whole group of testers are a bunch of optimistic people that sugar coat the heck out of everything. Remember the twin hammers release? "We beat the hell out of this thing with ZERO failures!" All releases are like that. I can't say I blame them for the optimistic view but reality is always a bit different than what they report.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:08 PM   #94
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
The whole group of testers are a bunch of optimistic people that sugar coat the heck out of everything. Remember the twin hammers release? "We beat the hell out of this thing with ZERO failures!" All releases are like that. I can't say I blame them for the optimistic view but reality is always a bit different than what they report.
Did you see the SCX10 II tester unit? I'm pretty sure these guys know how to beat on a truck.

imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:10 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
You mean if it's said in an Internet video it's not true?

This truck will be great if you have realistic expectations for it, I will be getting one for sure.
ROWDY RACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:12 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Did you see the SCX10 II tester unit? I'm pretty sure these guys know how to beat on a truck.

Sure did. Have you followed the mentions of failures of production rigs? Apparently not.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:23 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven318is View Post
it blows my mind that they didnt come up with a clod size or proline destroyer tire and rim combo with bigger hexs to go with the body...
I agree, the sticking points that would make it off the charts would be Proline MT wheels and tires (the Clodbuster ones).

I've not had much problems with diff spider gears in 1/8th scale MTs when lubed with proper silicone diff fluid. Open diffs make ring and pinion last a lot longer and are more fun and better handling.

Last edited by Natedog; 07-21-2016 at 03:26 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:41 PM   #98
Pebble Pounder

I can't wait for ALL of you amazing wheel companies to release some nice wide 2.2 beadlocks!!!!!
WraithVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:53 PM   #99

Quote:
Buy this truck from Tower with a coupon and it comes down to a reasonable price. No, it's not worth $400. It's as simple as that. But at $340 it's not bad.
Quote:
Sure did. Have you followed the mentions of failures of production rigs? Apparently not.
You won't ever see him criticize Axial even if it's constructive. He is an Axial advertisement because, in his words, he has a close relationship with them.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #100
Im Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven318is View Post
it blows my mind that they didnt come up with a clod size or proline destroyer tire and rim combo with bigger hexs to go with the body i personally was always a fan of grave digger but this is a let down to me except for the body just my two cents
Those clod sized tires aren't scale. In addition we would have had to raise the body or limit the travel tremendously to avoid excessive tire rub. Many other factors that others have already mentioned.

If you place the side profile of the SMT10 over the 1:1 gravedigger the major difference you will see is the wheelbase. Not everyone is a professional driver so the extended wheelbase and open diffs allows everyone to have some fun. Otherwise is dead on.

PS: The optional R35 BKT's work really well
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote

Axial + Monster Jam? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Monster Jam?? Tontos_Touch Chit Chat 3 10-20-2013 02:15 PM
Monster Jam!!!!!!!!! Del Montess Chit Chat 7 01-31-2010 11:19 PM
Monster Mutt Monster Jam Clod..... Da Hermit Non Crawler RC's 21 01-31-2010 06:28 PM