Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: holmes hobbies dual mini esc calibration

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2016, 05:57 PM   #1
J21
Rock Stacker

Default holmes hobbies dual mini esc calibration

I am trying to figure out how to calibrate my hh dual mini esc's. I have everything all wired up and the hh instructions are a little confusing to me. I have the hh dual mini esc's wired together with a cc bec to the battery, the bec is then plugged into the battery port on a flysky 3 channel rx, I then have my esc signal leads ran into the rx with the red power wire removed from both esc's, two hh torque master motors are mounted and connected, and finally a 3s lipo to power the system. my confusion comes from connecting power during the calibration and programming process. The hh directions say that if using dual esc's they can't have battery power wires connected. without the battery power wire connected how do you power the system. I have been messing around with the system trying to get it running is there a way to re set anything I may have set by mistake or does it not matter when i do the calibration process correctly. And it would help if any tips are made very straight forward as I don't understand all the little things that may be assumed people just should know. I am still learning and some things make perfect sense and others not quite so much. Thanks
J21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2016, 06:40 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: holmes hobbies dual mini esc calibration

Do you have a HH rx bypass? If so running a bec, you actually need the red wires hooked up because that gives power to the rx. You need to calibrate each esc, so plug one esc into rx, hook up battery (while holding full throttle) to calibrate it. Then unplug it, and do the same to the other esc. Then plug both esc into rx and you should be good to go. If you need to make any changes in the esc, hook it up to castle link.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2016, 07:04 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I'd use the BEC to power servo only.. At least have 1 red wire from br- minis go to rx to power the receiver... from what I remember you should calibrate 1 esc at a time... using channel 2.... so with BEC not in receiver plug front ESC with red wire into ch 2 and calibrate. Unplug front ESC and repeat with rear ESC In ch 2. After plug rear esc into you copycat ch on rx and front in ch 2 with at least 1 red wire from the HH br- minis in receiver for power..
IMO using BEC to power rx isn't correct way to power servo.. It can be done that way though.

Last edited by tapped-out; 07-25-2016 at 07:13 PM.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapped-out View Post
I'd use the BEC to power servo only.. At least have 1 red wire from br- minis go to rx to power the receiver... from what I remember you should calibrate 1 esc at a time... using channel 2.... so with BEC not in receiver plug front ESC with red wire into ch 2 and calibrate. Unplug front ESC and repeat with rear ESC In ch 2. After plug rear esc into you copycat ch on rx and front in ch 2 with at least 1 red wire from the HH br- minis in receiver for power..
IMO using BEC to power rx isn't correct way to power servo.. It can be done that way though.
Which channel are your referring as "copy cat" on a 3ch receiver
TraskRiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 03:01 PM   #5
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Quote:
Originally Posted by J21 View Post
I am trying to figure out how to calibrate my hh dual mini esc's. I have everything all wired up and the hh instructions are a little confusing to me. I have the hh dual mini esc's wired together with a cc bec to the battery, the bec is then plugged into the battery port on a flysky 3 channel rx, I then have my esc signal leads ran into the rx with the red power wire removed from both esc's, two hh torque master motors are mounted and connected, and finally a 3s lipo to power the system. my confusion comes from connecting power during the calibration and programming process. The hh directions say that if using dual esc's they can't have battery power wires connected. without the battery power wire connected how do you power the system. I have been messing around with the system trying to get it running is there a way to re set anything I may have set by mistake or does it not matter when i do the calibration process correctly. And it would help if any tips are made very straight forward as I don't understand all the little things that may be assumed people just should know. I am still learning and some things make perfect sense and others not quite so much. Thanks

Just see if they boot up without any fiddling. If the throttle isn't smooth, you can program the throttle endpoints on one ESC at a time by unplugging one from the radio. Isolating the power was an easy method that was written into the instructions before we made the Dual mini controller package.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:40 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraskRiver View Post
Which channel are your referring as "copy cat" on a 3ch receiver
I run a futaba 4pl receiver my ch4 is my "copy cat" ch and rear ESC. might not be the best name.. my 4th ch mirrors my ch 2 throttle.
Not familiar with your radio my guess would be your 3rd ch is copycat/mirroring you 2nd ch throttle...

But I'd listen to John first.
tapped-out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:15 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Just see if they boot up without any fiddling. If the throttle isn't smooth, you can program the throttle endpoints on one ESC at a time by unplugging one from the radio. Isolating the power was an easy method that was written into the instructions before we made the Dual mini controller package.
Is this still current ?? So do not separate BRMD to calibrate ?
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:52 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Plug everything in like your about to go drive it, then calibrate it. If they both work then your good to go. But if one esc isn't working then you need to unplug both throttle channels and which ever isnt working, plug it into 2nd channel and calibrate it. If it works, then plug everything back in like normal and your good to go.
84yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 04:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
So, to be clear, when calibrating a dual br mini, leave the bec and plug one esc at a time on ch 2? I have one esc working fine but the second is a bit off, a dual br mini.
Antfarm34 is offline   Reply With Quote

holmes hobbies dual mini esc calibration - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
holmes hobbies torque master mini dual esc blazerking Electronics 6 03-15-2015 06:57 AM
Holmes BR mini dual calibration trouble cyborgx Electronics 11 08-08-2014 03:09 PM