Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: What is a good crawler for scale

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default What is a good crawler for scale

I guess I should ask is the Axial SCX10 Honcho a good star for scale...
I am still learning but like what I have seen in trail videos and would like to move in that direction.
AZDIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: What is a good crawler for scale

Any of the scx-10 variants will do you well.
chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:09 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Welcome. If you're going to get an Axial product, I'd recommend the SCX10 II over a Honcho because of multiple upgrades in the new version (esp. the axles and steering). The next round of kits will be shipping any day now, ad the RTRs are scheduled to ship within the next couple of weeks. The Vaterra Ascender is another good option, and they are about to start shipping an RTR with a Chevy-based Honcho-like body.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:08 AM   #4
waw
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Welcome. If you're going to get an Axial product, I'd recommend the SCX10 II over a Honcho because of multiple upgrades in the new version (esp. the axles and steering). The next round of kits will be shipping any day now, ad the RTRs are scheduled to ship within the next couple of weeks. The Vaterra Ascender is another good option, and they are about to start shipping an RTR with a Chevy-based Honcho-like body.
best answer
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 06:18 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Guess I will have to put one on my wish list.
AZDIGGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yes, check out the SCX10 II, Vaterra Ascender (in stock now as kit and RTR) and the RC4WD TF2.

Last edited by Natedog; 07-29-2016 at 10:54 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 09:56 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Can't have a scale crawler without an interior. It's tough to beat RC4WD kits when it comes to scale.
In most other kits the motor is in the middle of the chassis, taking up room for a clean interior.
zanthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:23 AM   #8

I guess I would ask where you're coming from (SC truck, Buggy, etc...). If you are interested in scale realism AND the challenge of 1.9s, then definitely SCX or Ascender. However, if you are coming from "go fast" platforms and want to get into scale crawling/G6 type, then a Wraith or RR10 Bomber can be wonderful platforms, too. They can be made to look scale (ish), "do work" at a G6, and maintain some pure bashability.

All that being said, I want an SCX10 II also.

Like the comedian Ron White says about certain female anatomy parts...once you seen one, then you want to see them all.
chill974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 10:55 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanthrax View Post
Can't have a scale crawler without an interior. It's tough to beat RC4WD kits when it comes to scale.
In most other kits the motor is in the middle of the chassis, taking up room for a clean interior.
ANother great suggestion, kinda spaced on the RC4WD TF2, edited my previous post to include it!
Old 07-30-2016, 12:44 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Default What is a good crawler for scale

Do the trail finder 2 sport leaf springs. Will that be on par with say a scx10 II when it comes to crawling?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Johan_Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 06:29 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johan_Eriksson View Post
Do the trail finder 2 sport leaf springs. Will that be on par with say a scx10 II when it comes to crawling?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

The TF2 does come with leaf springs, so it's a completely different animal from an SCX10 or Ascender. The stock TF2 setup is limited, but with some tweaking, it can become a very capable performer that goes most places an SCX10 would be able to go. It requires more driving skill, but that's one of the things that makes it so rewarding. My first TF2 is still one of my favorite trucks to wheel. For anyone that is thinking about a TF2, I would encourage you to read our TF2 guide:

http://www.rc4wdforum.com/showthread...ide-to-the-TF2

Once you've read it, buy one! You won't regret it... :-)
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:12 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

Me personally I would go with one of the original old faithful scx10 of your choice dingo not sure if they make that one any more but there is plenty of others,, honcho,, ram,, gobs of jeeps ,,they work ok from start kit or rtr and you don't have to wait for one there in stock in fact you might even get a semi good deal on one plus there is a GAZILLION aftermarket parts for them you can empty your bank account in about 1/2 hour or less on goodies for them I know I can sure there people that can to LMAO !!

Last edited by rjwalker; 07-30-2016 at 10:14 AM.
rjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:41 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The TF2 does come with leaf springs, so it's a completely different animal from an SCX10 or Ascender. The stock TF2 setup is limited, but with some tweaking, it can become a very capable performer that goes most places an SCX10 would be able to go. It requires more driving skill, but that's one of the things that makes it so rewarding. My first TF2 is still one of my favorite trucks to wheel. For anyone that is thinking about a TF2, I would encourage you to read our TF2 guide:

Team RC4WD's Comprehensive Guide to the TF2

Once you've read it, buy one! You won't regret it... :-)
Excellent comparison, 2.2 tires bore me now.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:24 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Tf2, golinda 2 or basically any of the crawling type rc

149 r/c worx team driver
snapon boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:43 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

Hell, they're all good rigs. Take the time to read through the forum, watch YouTube videos and then buy one of each
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:59 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

i really like my sawback.i,ve had the axials but wanted something different.i really like the leaf spring scale looks and the driving skill that goes with it.
thead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:55 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by thead View Post
i really like my sawback.i,ve had the axials but wanted something different.i really like the leaf spring scale looks and the driving skill that goes with it.
To tell the truth, I'm with thead. For some reason people tend to turn up their nose at the Sawback. I've crawled circles around many a SCX10 with mine. It's the most predictable and surprising crawler in my stable. I've added 5 crawlers to my collection since I bought a Sawback, including a fairly modified Wraith, and the Sawback is still my favorite and most durable out of the lot.
There is quite a few modifications that can be done without spending money that will really improve it's abilities too.
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote

What is a good crawler for scale - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good Scale and crawler store yusof Texas 17 01-20-2013 09:03 PM
Good scale or crawler rccrawler shop in Houston yusof General Crawlers 2 01-18-2013 07:57 PM
whats a good start up scale crawler? buddha.licious Newbie General 14 07-17-2009 01:21 PM
Good 1.9 scale/crawler tires fordmike65 Tires and Wheels 13 02-07-2009 06:25 PM