Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Crawler Advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2016, 07:50 PM   #1

Default Crawler Advice

Hey all,

I am back into RC and am typically a monster truck basher type. I am looking at some of the crawlers for a different experience and also as something to customize and change up over time - tires, body, etc. I really don't care about scale.

I was looking at Axial products like the XL Yeti, Wraith, and SCX10II. Any opinions are appreciated.
mrbails is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2016, 08:27 PM   #2

Default Re: Crawler Advice

scx10, scx10II, ascender, trailfinder2, sawback. what kind of area your in should be a factor in what you choose. do you live by large piles a big rocks then go for a crawler like a ax10. if it's more of a wooded/dirt area you live in then a trail truck type crawler such as the scx10 should be a blast.
what i mean by this is you wouldn't buy a boat if you only have dirt to run on or a touring car if you live in a house boat.
the big name companies will give you the most support and have a strong enough following for upgrade parts.
RustedRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:23 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

I'd check out the Axial Bomber. From the reviews (see YouTube and elsewhere) it looks great for crawling, rock racing, bashing, ... Fairly versatile / general purpose. The RTR apparently has a low top speed, but you can fix this with another motor (Axial brushed motors are decent and inexpensive, for example) or different gearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thloftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 11:44 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

Your terrain definitely matters. I'd recommend the scx10II or the bomber. They both come in rtr or kit. I've built both in the last couple months and they are awesome
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:09 PM   #5

Id love to own a Bomber. I may get one later in the year to build over the winter when its cold and I don't go outside in the snow with my models.
rcmattster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:12 PM   #6

Do you want to go fast or slow? And what type of terrain are you going to drive on? Those are two questions we need answered before we can really help.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:46 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Do you want to go fast or slow? And what type of terrain are you going to drive on? Those are two questions we need answered before we can really help.
Thanks for the advice so far. To answer, I would prefer to go faster, and the terrain would be more trail and wooded areas, possibly some streams with rocks but no mountain areas or huge rock piles.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:50 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbails View Post
Thanks for the advice so far. To answer, I would prefer to go faster, and the terrain would be more trail and wooded areas, possibly some streams with rocks but no mountain areas or huge rock piles.

Tough call between SCX10-II or Bomber ...

Old 08-02-2016, 09:12 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Go fast isn't really a small tire, narrow axle kind of thing so that basically eliminates anything but the bomber, wraith or an SCX10 equipped with beef tubes & the xr mod to gain some width. Those 3 choices also lend themselves to strength as they use the same ring & pinion and have tough drivetrain over all.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 09:19 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Go fast isn't really a small tire, narrow axle kind of thing so that basically eliminates anything but the bomber, wraith or an SCX10 equipped with beef tubes & the xr mod to gain some width. Those 3 choices also lend themselves to strength as they use the same ring & pinion and have tough drivetrain over all.

Wraith would also be sweet. But needs more upgrades out of the box?

Old 08-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Depends on which wraith you get really. Or what mods you do first. Metal gears in the trans, a decent servo with metal steering linkage will get the party started and keep it going for a long time. As the stock we noodle links start wearing out just replace them with metal. The incision line from VP is a sweet priced set and it's stainless. I've installed them and I highly recommend using them.
Old 08-02-2016, 09:50 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Depends on which wraith you get really. Or what mods you do first. Metal gears in the trans, a decent servo with metal steering linkage will get the party started and keep it going for a long time. As the stock we noodle links start wearing out just replace them with metal. The incision line from VP is a sweet priced set and it's stainless. I've installed them and I highly recommend using them.

Nice.
Have you tried the incision beadlocks? They look great and I can almost afford them.

Old 08-02-2016, 10:02 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I haven't used or fondled the incision wheels yet no. I'm sure they're nice wheels since VP put their name and reputation on them. I've mounted a few of their other line of wheels and they really nice but I wouldn't run them. I don't see a reason to spend a bunch of money on wheels.

I run pretty basic stuff since I beat on my rigs pretty hard. Crawler innovations 6 bolt wheels are cheap and treat me very well. I have 3 sets in use now and I just ordered another set today.
Old 08-02-2016, 10:35 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I haven't used or fondled the incision wheels yet no. I'm sure they're nice wheels since VP put their name and reputation on them. I've mounted a few of their other line of wheels and they really nice but I wouldn't run them. I don't see a reason to spend a bunch of money on wheels.

I run pretty basic stuff since I beat on my rigs pretty hard. Crawler innovations 6 bolt wheels are cheap and treat me very well. I have 3 sets in use now and I just ordered another set today.

I'll check out the Crawler Innovations wheels. I agree about the VP wheel cost -- but hard to avoid the envy ...

Old 08-03-2016, 06:32 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Default Crawler Advice

I'm gonna jump in and say I love the bomber, that said if you want to go fast, get the Yeti.... 1/10 is fine very versatile as you can adjust the suspension to fit your needs. The IS in the front has a speed edge over a straight axle. You can set them all up how you want, it's just $$$
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 09:43 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbails View Post
Bomber, Yeti, or Wraith IMO.
Old 08-03-2016, 11:31 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

AXIAL SMT10! your words.. "im typically a monster truck basher" its a new rtr gravedigger mt from axial. youll need to buy a battery and charger though if you don't have one.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:32 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

With what you described I would go Yeti unless you're willing to get a brushless system at the same time or shortly after I would go Bomber. Both are even funner with the 2 speed.
stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 06:17 PM   #19

Thanks for all of the advice. It helps me narrow it down. Now I have some homework to do.
Old 08-04-2016, 06:25 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
AXIAL SMT10! your words.. "im typically a monster truck basher" its a new rtr gravedigger mt from axial. youll need to buy a battery and charger though if you don't have one.
I thought that for a moment too, but with the open diffs it will be useless in most trail situations IMO.

Crawler Advice - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First crawler advice Used Up Junk Newbie General 18 09-16-2013 07:04 PM
Crawler advice Spence700 Newbie General 6 12-27-2011 11:20 AM
Advice on crawler. armyguy27 Newbie General 3 03-01-2011 10:55 AM
Looking at a crawler, need a little advice TheMailman Newbie General 2 07-16-2009 06:20 PM
Need advice on crawler JonRoberts General Crawlers 4 11-03-2008 11:22 AM