Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Worn axles?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2016, 12:11 AM   #1

Unhappy Worn axles?

I had a issue with my SCX10 and had to replace a few items. I have put the rig back together.

upgraded parts are
Vanquish SLW hubs, wheels and stage one kit with stock axle's, housing and gears. Fasteddy bearings

the front left wobbles, i can not tighten it anymore than it is. I have checked and rechecked evrything i could without taring it down to check the shafts or ring and pinion. could there possibly be anything i may have missed, What are signs of worn axles? what would make my axle shafts be able to move slightly in and out of the housing? or could this all be a ploy by Vanquish that you need _____ for ______ to work and in the end ill have to buy new axles, ring and pinion, housing for the stage one kit to work well? lol

Hope you didn't find this confusing as i find it hard to explain issues with using proper terms.
PerkRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2016, 07:32 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Worn axles?

All of my wheels look like the wobble some. I think it has more to do with my tire and foam setup. Anyhow, it could be bent axles.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Waitwhatsthat? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 10:55 AM   #3

I could break them down and re seat them. that i haven't tried.
PerkRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:00 PM   #4

Have you checked if your wheel foams aren't lopsided? It could also be play in the bearings, my front axles have some play in them as well, not enough to wobble tho

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk
FrancoSFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:25 PM   #5
RCC Addict

need to describe the wobble a bit better. you mentioned the axles shafts moving in and out of the housing as well.

these toys are not precision mechanisms. with attention and a bunch of shims you can get rid of a lot of slop. the bushings
in the knuckles might be a bit on the loose side. the pins in the hexes might be bent. if you have dogbones, there
is plenty of slop there, I have seen small O-rings put inside the cups to get rid of some of the slop. the possibility of a bent short shaft
is very possible as well. move the hexes to different axle shaft, the groove might be uneven.

wiggle every piece in place to see where all the sloppy areas are. rotate the wheels/tires and see if the wobble stays or moves
to a different point.

when you find where the slop emanates from let us know. suggestion, change only one thing at a time so you
can better tell if there is a change to the wobble.

Last edited by cabron; 08-17-2016 at 10:29 PM.
cabron is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle shafts, worn axles

Worn axles? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Worn in or worn out? Big Daddy Tires and Wheels 14 02-25-2013 12:51 PM