Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Want to get in on the action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2016, 07:34 PM   #1

Default Want to get in on the action

Hey everyone.
I'm real keen on getting into this. I've seen a few videos and read a little on here.
I know next to nothing about it and reading all the technical stuff you guys write is doing my head in.
I like the idea of the scale rigs because they look so realistic (most of them anyways).
I'd like to get a 60 series cruiser or a hilux (yes I'm from Australia) or a 70 series cruiser.
I can't find much on the net available though. Can anyone point me in the right direction.
I'm a little hesitant to go for something that I need to build from the ground up by buying a heap of different parts but if it was a kit I'd have a crack.
Please help
Hughesy1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2016, 08:46 PM   #2
waw
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Want to get in on the action

have you tried RC4WD Trail Finder yet? there're KIT or the RTR version

look it up at RC4WD Trail Finder 2 RTR w/Mojave II Body Set
then find a hobby shop around ausie, if they sell it there

even in indonesia, there are plenty of hobby shop of individual who sell the trail finders.. I do hope you find what you're looking for
waw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:31 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

For the most part, all the big brands have good crawlers. Some are more capable than others and some are more durable. Everyone has their favorite and that's what they recommend. Do your research and find what's right for you. There are plenty of threads on here covering every crawler on the market. Read, read and read And welcome to the world of money sucking tiny trucks.
Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 11:35 PM   #4

So after a bit of research I think I'm going to go with a Axial SCX10II. Are they as good as they sound for a beginner that isn't ready to build a custom crawler?
Shame there isn't any Toyota bodies for them though.
Old 08-30-2016, 03:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughesy1990 View Post
So after a bit of research I think I'm going to go with a Axial SCX10II. Are they as good as they sound for a beginner that isn't ready to build a custom crawler?
Shame there isn't any Toyota bodies for them though.
Sure there is:

Pro-Line 1985 Toyota HiLux SR5 2-Piece Body for 12.3"
Tbird232ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:49 AM   #6

Awesome.
Another silly question. I'm a little confused as to whether the kit has everything in it you need to just assemble and drive. Some of the info I have read gives me the impression that I need to find all the electrics myself. I am in no way ready for that but I was hoping to get the kit for the new transmission and better links etc...
Can anyone tell me if the kit has EVERYTHING I will need in the one box to juilst build and go??
Old 08-30-2016, 04:28 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

No, the kit does not include amy electronics....no motor,esc,sevo,rx,tx..
And yes, the scx10II really is that good...i have both the kit and the rtr...kit is better in my opinion, and electronics are simply to get and install.....good quality 35t brushed motor and esc...budget servo and a flysky tx/rx...3s lipo of your choice....

Last edited by allanon1965; 08-30-2016 at 04:31 AM.
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:39 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Hi Hughesy,
Nope, the Kits have everything BUT the electronics, you will need to select a matching motor and speed controller to suit your crawling needs and budget, brushed or brushless, what batteries you plan on using, servo, receiver blah blah.....

Where abouts in Aus are you? I'm in NSW hunter valley region.

Seems to me that most crawler groups here operate out of this Facebook thing, some are public and some are private.

Give me a PM if you want and I can tell you more. If ya nearby you can share my crawler on comp days till you figure out how it all works....
Yeti.stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:51 AM   #9

I'm in Mackay Queensland.
Due to my VERY limited knowledge of electronics (I don't even know what a TX or RX or ESC is) it looks like the RTR will be my best option. Is it still a capable and reliable option?
Old 08-30-2016, 04:59 AM   #10
RCC Addict

That's a shame! Soooo far away.
They are all saying good things about the scx2, so I think you will be fine with that rig. Upgrades later on are part of the hobby!
You will need lipo batteries to get the best out of it, school yourself about these high power batteries, and the special care they need or risk burning your house or shed down.
Lotsa stuff on the internet about lipo batteries and the special chargers they need.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:24 AM   #11

Are the RTR versions able to have parts changed out like all the upgraded electrics and suchlike?
Old 08-30-2016, 09:28 AM   #12
I wanna be Dave

All of the higher-end crawlers like Axial, Vaterra, RC4WD, etc can have the parts upgraded. Stock replacement parts if they break, as well. Axial has the biggest aftermarket support.

You can even get the Axial Honcho body for the original SX10 for the SX10II to make a Toyota cab with a tubed frame back half - a favorite of many:

Axial Racing - Axial SCX10 Honcho 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD - RTR

As far as electronics go, the sky is the limit - you can go for a sensored brushless motor and ESC for much less maintenance and a quieter and more durable vehicle.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 10:37 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hughesy1990 View Post
Awesome.
Another silly question. I'm a little confused as to whether the kit has everything in it you need to just assemble and drive. Some of the info I have read gives me the impression that I need to find all the electrics myself. I am in no way ready for that but I was hoping to get the kit for the new transmission and better links etc...
Can anyone tell me if the kit has EVERYTHING I will need in the one box to juilst build and go??
Hey Hughesy,

I basically went through the same as you're going through now 4 weeks ago.
I ended up buying the SCX10 II kit, and it's amazing. Great for a first time builder. There's several full build logs on YouTube, and a couple of them in the SCX10-II subsection on this forum as well (including my own first time builder - build log).

I small word of warning though, as others have mentioned, you'll have to get all the electronics yourself (which could be part of the fun), but couple that with the fact that these tiny trucks really do tend to suck your wallet try... I'd like to give you a small word of warning; if you're going with the kit, expect to almost (or more than) double the cost of the kit with the electronics. If funds are an issue, or if you're not 100% sure you'll love the hobby, you might be better off picking up an RTR, and upgrading when you have money/feel like it/stuff breaks on you.

Other than that, the SCX10-II kit is simply amazing. I had a BLAST building it, and I love knowing how everything goes together, so that if something does happen to break, I feel confident I can diagnose and fix it myself without going into a panic.

Which ever you choose, I'm sure you'll have a blast, it's an awesome rig!
IVIaarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I got someone to do a facebook search " mackay rc " and it showed a few groups up that way, but not crawler specific. The group of ' bashers ' might be the ones to contact, im sure they would know who the local crawler guys are.
Old 08-30-2016, 05:15 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Welcome. x2 to what allanon says about the SCX10 II. It's a terrific first scaler. As for kit vs. RTR, the easy answer is to go with the RTR, but I've always been a kit guy through and through. For me, it's the best way to learn how a truck goes together, how to fix things when they break, and where to find opportunities to upgrade and/or personalize the rig. In the case of Axial rigs, the kits come with certain upgrades that the RTRs don't have (like all metal gears in the SCX10 II kit tranny vs. plastic gears in the RTR tranny), which is another reason to go with a kit. If electronics are the only thing holding you back from buying a kit, it wouldn't take long to get up to speed on basic electronics with some reading here. When I got my start, I spent a lot of time going through Harley's guides that are stickied in the Wraith section. Quite a bit of that info carried over to the original SCX10 platform and would also apply to the SCX10 II platform.

If you do go with a kit, you'd need to add a radio (which will come with a transmitter and receiver), ESC to power and control the motor, servo for steering, battery and charger. Depending on which ESC and servo you choose, you might also want to get a BEC. Looking through some of the builds in the SCX10 II section will give you a very good idea of which electronics combos people are trying and liking. My best advice would be to keep reading up and post further questions as you go. Good luck!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 02:26 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Good points, don't forget to check out the Vaterra Ascender too.

1972 Chevy K10 RTR:
1/10 1972 Chevrolet K10 Pickup Ascender 4WD RTR | HorizonHobby

1986 Chevy Blazer RTR:
Vaterra 1/10 1986 Chevrolet K-5 Blazer Ascender RC Truck 4WD Ready-To-Run | Horizon Hobby

1986 Chevy Blazer KIT:
Vaterra 1/10 1986 Chevrolet K-5 Blazer Ascender 4WD RC Rock Crawler Kit | Horizon Hobby

1972 Ford Bronco RTR:
1/10 1972 Ford Bronco 4x4 Ascender RTR | HorizonHobby

Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
60 series, 70 series, hilux, newbie, scale rigs

Want to get in on the action - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Not much action here lately. bigdaddy13 Maryland 2 04-13-2010 10:31 AM
A little 1.9 action sddill Videos! 7 07-08-2009 11:49 AM
1:1 Action papasmurf Chit Chat 33 07-11-2008 10:02 AM
some 1.1 action in TN joesbruiser Chit Chat 15 01-28-2007 12:06 PM