Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: !st post from newbe...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #1

Smile !st post from newbe...

First timer here. Need some free advice.
Just bought my 9yr old a Bomber RR. Works fine, but want to increase the speed somewhat. He (we actually) were heavily invested in indoor buggies and trucks until the local indoor track closed so we have lots of parts. I am sure we will end up with good things as we progress in the crawler/rock racer world. We would like to use what we have for now.
I see that 3S batteries are the norm for many, but we have quite a few 2S batteries to use for now. We have brushless set ups but nothing with more turns than a 21 turn. Also have the Castle Creations SCT esc/motor combos (3800).
I have the new Axial Cherokee 10 II kit on the way (think it was the last one in the USA!) and was thinking of using his motor/esc in this crawler and then upgrading his with what we have for now. While we do have brushless combos I am thinking it would be too much for the Cherokee. I am wanting to mostly crawl (not opposed to having more power and speed if it will still crawl well.) and my son will crawl some but will want to be faster in general.
I will appreciate any advice on using what we already have at present before selling the house to go overboard ....
jjbigfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #2
MODERATOR™

Default Re: !st post from newbe...

Found it on page three. There ya go.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:48 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I wouldn't put a 21t brushed in a SCX10, it would be OK in a pinch for the Bomber. You could gear down the brushless a bunch for temporary use in the SCX until you can get a sensored setup, it will cog at low speeds unfortunately.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:08 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

21T would be better in smaller tired SCX10 than big tired Bomber, but not ideal either way. Hobbywing WP1080 esc $40,
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/prod...nt=26223842568

HH 35T motor $50
TorqueMaster Expert 540 - TorqueMaster Series - Brushed Motors - Motors
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 08:19 AM   #5

Thank you to Eee Pee.....

Ended up putting the CC SCT combo in the Bomber. Seems to be OK and he likes it better than the stock set up. I was able to smooth it out with the CC program card. We are going to try to get out to somewhere this weekend and see how it works "in the wild." I can already see that he is going to need a sway bar, along with other things that are going to become obvious as we play....
The Axial 2000 II is basically built and I put the Bomber electronics in it. Works....but pretty slow. Ended up installing a HobbyWing V4 3.1 esc (because it has reverse) and a 17.5 sensored motor. Actually it seems to be smooth from start up with a decent top end. Find out about the crawling this weekend.
I am programming the HW with the LCD box and am a bit lost as to where to set some things. Would be really nice if anyone had either a list of the settings or a good explanation of what each setting does. Getting a bit confused about the actual power delivery. Punch rate I get (maybe) but the rest of the throttle settings lose me. The way it is set now I have a good smooth low end but after applying more throttle it seems to "shift" into another gear (NOT a 2 speed trans). I am sure that the esc could be set up much better for general driving but I think I am clueless. Any help would be appreciated in this area.
I CAN see that this might get out of hand soon. I have no doubt that we are going to end up with a couple more crawler/ trail rigs. And then there is scale......
jjbigfly is offline   Reply With Quote

!st post from newbe... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbe kws1976 Newbie General 5 02-20-2011 02:17 PM
newbe here jeremyc Newbie General 3 11-11-2008 08:59 AM
newbe ? lambzuk Tamiya Clod Buster 1 02-15-2005 09:00 PM