Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Buying decisions are tough...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2017, 08:02 PM   #1

Default Buying decisions are tough...

I've been lurking and reading a lot and I'm ready to start ordering. I don't really plan on using it as a crawler but more of a go fast off roader. The list below are the items I've decided on:

Kit - Axial Bomber Kit
Motor - Hobbywing XERUN 3660SD G2 Sensored Brushless Motor 3600kV
ESC - Hobbywing Ezrun MAX10 ESC Waterproof Brushless
Servo - Savox SW-1210SG Waterproof Digital Servo
Receiver - Spektrum 4200W DX4C DSMR 4CH TX Remote Transmitter system
with SR410 RX Receiver SPM4200W
Battery 1 - Venom 40C 2S 5000mAh
Battery 2 - Venom 25C 3S 5000mAh
Charger - SKYRC iMAX
Other - Fast Eddy bearing kit
Other - Stainless screw kit

Please give me your thoughts
GEWarEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-2017, 10:11 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Buying decisions are tough...

The Bomber is a fun truck. Keep in mind that the solid axles and locked diffs will limit its handling capability at speed as compared to a truck with an independent front suspension and open diff(s). If you really want a fast off-roader rather than a crawler/bouncer, you'd probably be better off with a Yeti, Losi Rock Rey, or something of the sort. If you're okay compromising on high speed handling to get the benefits of the crawling capability, the Bomber is excellent. For the servo, I'm a big fan of the Savox 1210 in class 1 and 2 trucks (narrower axles and smaller tires), but I think you'll find it a bit underpowered for a Bomber. The Xpert 7701 is only a bit more expensive ($99 list) and has a lot more torque, so I'd recommend that instead. For batteries, I find the Venoms a bit overpriced for what you get. I run Helios RC packs almost exclusively now - much better bang for the buck. (Disclaimer: the owner is a good friend and my biz partner in BowHouse RC, but if I didn't really like his batteries, I'd keep my mouth shut on them.) Fast Eddy bearings are good, and the stainless screw kit is probably unnecessary.

That's my .02. Have fun with the build!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:34 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback... on the Helios batteries, with the 3S, should I go with the 45C or is the 30C enough?

Only reason I'm going with the stainless screws is I live on the Gulf Coast and do a lot of boating. Odds are the Bomber will end up on some trips where we go to islands and beaches so it will more than likely get exposed to saltwater
GEWarEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #4

check out smc batteries. great batteries and way better price for what you get. you can get a 3s 5200mah 90c battery for 40 bucks plus shipping
Donny939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 03:05 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEWarEagle View Post
Thanks for the feedback... on the Helios batteries, with the 3S, should I go with the 45C or is the 30C enough?

Only reason I'm going with the stainless screws is I live on the Gulf Coast and do a lot of boating. Odds are the Bomber will end up on some trips where we go to islands and beaches so it will more than likely get exposed to saltwater
30C should be fine. My favorite is the 3500 3S pack. I easily get 4+ hours of runtime, and it's a lot smaller and lighter than the 5200 packs.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:20 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEWarEagle View Post
I've been lurking and reading a lot and I'm ready to start ordering. I don't really plan on using it as a crawler but more of a go fast off roader.

Please give me your thoughts
I like the idea of stainless screws, as my axial is so prone to rust, but I am hesitant as I have stripped a couple of the screw heads, and the SS screws will be softer than stock. I currently coat all of the exposed metal in Corrosion-X.

When I was shopping around last year for something that could crawl-but-go-fast, it seemed to me that the bomber reviews depicted it (the RTR) as slow and that it flips a lot.

What do you mean by "go fast"? How fast?
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 05:49 AM   #7

As mentioned above stainless steel is softer then stock, I'd do the corrosion X method. If you want stronger upgraded screws I'd go with Tony's screws. I also second SMC batteries, great batteries, great price, great customer service.
wacmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 10:45 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

SMC & Venom suck with an over priced attachment to them.

Gens Ace, Zippy, & Turnigy are the inexpensive alternative that have yet to let me down in many many years.

Stainless is softer & do not use in critical areas (suspension)

Take a look at HiTec battery chargers also.

Last edited by GLwagon; 03-06-2017 at 10:52 AM.
GLwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:30 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I've never had trouble with my SMC batteries, they are also pretty cheap too! Love the fact that he ships from VA. Last order took one day to get to me.

I've also never had trouble with stainless steel hardware either stripping or breaking, I must be doing something wrong lol.

Good Luck!
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:28 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
solid axles and locked diffs will limit its handling capability at speed as compared to a truck with an independent front suspension and open diff(s). If you really want a fast off-roader rather than a crawler/bouncer, you'd probably be better off with a Losi Rock Rey, or something of the sort. If you're okay compromising on high speed handling to get the benefits of the crawling capability, the Bomber is excellent. Savox 1210 in class 1 and 2 trucks (narrower axles and smaller tires), but I think you'll find it a bit underpowered for a Bomber. The Xpert 7701 is only a bit more expensive ($99 list) and has a lot more torque, so I'd recommend that instead. For batteries, I find the Venoms a bit overpriced for what you get. I run Helios RC packs almost exclusively now - much better bang for the buck. (Disclaimer: the owner is a good friend and my biz partner in BowHouse RC, but if I didn't really like his batteries, I'd keep my mouth shut on them.) Fast Eddy bearings are good, and the stainless screw kit is probably unnecessary.
X2 and bearing kit is unecessary for building kit (it comes with rubber sealed bearings) but good to have spares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
30C should be fine. My favorite is the 3500 3S pack. I easily get 4+ hours of runtime, and it's a lot smaller and lighter than the 5200 packs.
I go at least 30C preferably higher if you can, smaller lighter packs are better for handling at speed and crawling. Avid RC Bearings and Accessories for radio controlled vehicles, your one stop shop for RC bearings, RC wheels, RC accessories, RC springs, and much more. is great source for metric and standard small RC type bearings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
I am hesitant as I have stripped a couple of the screw heads, and the SS screws will be softer than stock. I currently coat all of the exposed metal in Corrosion-X.
I've had too many broken and stripped stainless screws of different "good' brands, Corrosion-X is good idea. Stock up on spare screws at www.mcmaster.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLwagon View Post

Gens Ace, Zippy, & Turnigy are the inexpensive alternative that have yet to let me down in many many years.

SMC batteries have been ok, but I've had really good luck with Turnigy, Venom not so much ime.

Good info, love my Hitec X2 AC Plus charger.
X2 AC Plus 2 Port AC/DC Multi-Charger | HITEC RCD USA

Last edited by Natedog; 03-06-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLwagon View Post

thats the first time I ever heard anyone say smc batteries are overpriced.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:03 AM   #12

and actually turnigy and and gens ace look to cost more than smc for equivalents
Old 03-07-2017, 11:34 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny939 View Post
thats the first time I ever heard anyone say smc batteries are overpriced.
If the battery fails out of the box it is over priced.
They had a batch that would puff sitting still & they basically told racers to stick it & they did something wrong.
SMC is fairly low in my book.

I'll pay the few extra for Gens Ace or Turnigy.

As far as Venom, I have had to re-solder more Venom packs internally than any other brand.

Last edited by GLwagon; 03-07-2017 at 11:37 AM.
GLwagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial bomber

Buying decisions are tough... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Decisions, decisions. SCX10 or Trail Finder Jake1715 Newbie General 12 01-03-2017 01:19 PM
Decisions, Decisions, can't make up my mind Gula Chit Chat 20 02-10-2012 09:48 AM
Decisions Decisions Scaler build considerations? Madkoifish 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 09-19-2009 02:37 AM
Decisions, decisions I want some opinions tdeal823 General Scale Talk 10 03-16-2008 01:42 PM
Decisions Decisions: Options and opinions gabemerrill Newbie General 4 12-15-2006 12:25 PM