Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Beadlocks vs glued

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2017, 06:25 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Beadlocks vs glued

I have a Yeti with the stock beadlocks. They keep popping out every 4 or 5 runs and it's annoying to put them back...lots of screws and they are going to start stripping soon.

I know you can change wheels and tyres etc but the rims are getting slowly damaged around the edges where they hit rocks etc and I was thinking about gluing them to the rims to stop them coming off.

Glued rims and tyres (at least for the Rock Rey) seem only marginally more expensive than just new tyres and foams.

Do 'good' beadlocks last ages or do they all get chewed up and have to be chucked after a while (ie the life of a set of tyres which seem to last quite some time).

Just trying to decide how to keep the tyres on the stock rims and what to look at for a new affordable set of wheels/foams/tyres.

Cheers!
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2017, 09:30 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Beadlocks vs glued

I don't know what the stock wheels are for the yeti, but I have axial rocksters on one of my rigs. I have had no issues with the stock beadlocks coming undone. That being said, I did replace the stock screws with slightly larger diameter screws so this may be helping them hold better.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
I don't know what the stock wheels are for the yeti, but I have axial rocksters on one of my rigs. I have had no issues with the stock beadlocks coming undone. That being said, I did replace the stock screws with slightly larger diameter screws so this may be helping them hold better.
different system.

Which foams are u using. IF still the stock (which sucks and cause the yeti rolls on turns) an upgrade to CI dw standard, could help solving your issue.
If u reinstall the tire make also sure every thing is clean... best clean it with spirit.

I switched from the kit method beadlocks to ssd rockracers. And upgrade the kit methods with an gpm front of alloy, cause broke the wheels just with the torque they take.
A good cheap glue on solution for the yeti are the ci 6 bolts
2.2 1,5" width
2.2 1" width
u can reuse them if u need new tires and what i read here they are very durable.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

X2, but don't do glue on wheels, beadlocks work great and you can easily swap and re-use tires and foams.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 04:08 PM   #5
RCC Addict

all my trucks run bead locks and never had an issue. the oldest set is about 5yrs old. stay away from glue it sucks
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:09 PM   #6
33m
Pebble Pounder

I have a kit yeti and I glued my rear tires onto the beadlocks because they were coming off almost every run. At this point I'll just buy new wheels along with tires when I feel like changing things up.
I only have the stock foams, never tried different foams.
33m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 05:37 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Cheers guys. So you think different foams will fix the issue? I'm running the stock motor and gearing on 3S and it seems to happen after some hill climbing or some tumbles/cartwheels.

The tyres and rims are clean and they are torqued evenly and methodically down. Perfect seal once assembled. No stripped screws as yet.

The $20 plastic beadlocks (for two rims) seem like a good affordable idea but in some ways, a cheap glued wheel/foam/tyre combo that lasts 12-18 months solid without coming off seems a lot simpler. I imagine a quality metal rim to work better as you'll be able to torque it down much harder.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:27 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

The all plastic Axial beadlocks are known for popping beads after a while. They are good to get you going, but don't really last if you're running high speed and a lot of power.
A good set of aluminium beadlocks will hold a bead and last you forever unless you somehow manage to physically break the wheel itself.
SSD makes really nice beadlocks at a great price, and Gear Head makes what are in my opinion the best beadlocks that I've tried, but they are quite expensive and nobody stocks them here in Australia (I managed to score a used set from the Classifieds on here for a decent price).
If you don't want to buy from OS and pay too much for shipping, hit up OneTenCrawlers and get them to order in a set of whatever SSD wheels take your fancy.
sabo308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 03:37 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabo308 View Post
The all plastic Axial beadlocks are known for popping beads after a while. They are good to get you going, but don't really last if you're running high speed and a lot of power.
A good set of aluminium beadlocks will hold a bead and last you forever unless you somehow manage to physically break the wheel itself.
SSD makes really nice beadlocks at a great price, and Gear Head makes what are in my opinion the best beadlocks that I've tried, but they are quite expensive and nobody stocks them here in Australia (I managed to score a used set from the Classifieds on here for a decent price).
If you don't want to buy from OS and pay too much for shipping, hit up OneTenCrawlers and get them to order in a set of whatever SSD wheels take your fancy.
do what this guys said, I love my SSD beadlocks, old steelies and newer dhole. Beautiful fit and finish

and yes, foams make a huge difference, I don't use the stock foams
Thechewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Beadlocks vs glued - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Glued on tires Dhallmark RC4WD Bully 5 04-01-2014 05:32 PM
Glued on tires? im gunna crawl Tires and Wheels 26 03-20-2014 04:47 PM
tires really glued!!!!! crashmurray Tires and Wheels 4 04-05-2010 02:46 AM
from glued tires to beadlocks j0e Tires and Wheels 9 08-28-2007 12:03 PM
how do I get glued tires off...anyone...? TLT-1Rockin' Tires and Wheels 5 02-06-2006 11:46 PM