Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Loud motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Loud motor

When I was at the event, everyones trucks, there motors weren't as loud as mine, can someone please explain why mine is so loud and the others weren't.... Is it because its brushed and not brushless... Thanks guys.
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2017, 09:38 AM   #2

Default Re: Loud motor

Can some one explain the difference between brushed and brushless?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
andygperez88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 09:39 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Could be part of it but brushless always has that high pitched whine... What ESC do you have? Holmes hobbies BR-XL has a silent mode

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
excabswap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:06 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Loud on start up (humming/whining) or loud while cruising along (which could just be slightly too tight spur/pinion mesh)?
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

What event did you go too? The PL one? Did you enter in any of the comps? If so, I hope you did well.

It is because it is brushed like you stated.
With the brushes getting whipped every trilisecond and arcing going on near the comutator, it will definitely be noticeably louder than someone running a In-runner brushless motor. Somebody will definitley go into more detail about this I'm sure of it, but these are just a few attributes to the brushed being louder.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLetterJ View Post
Loud on start up (humming/whining) or loud while cruising along (which could just be slightly too tight spur/pinion mesh)?
My mesh is as good as it can be meshed...lol,... Clicks back N forth.(spur N pinion)
Not tight at all,..
Old 05-08-2017, 01:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattySlimz1987 View Post
What event did you go too? The PL one? Did you enter in any of the comps? If so, I hope you did well.

It is because it is brushed like you stated.
With the brushes getting whipped every trilisecond and arcing going on near the comutator, it will definitely be noticeably louder than someone running a In-runner brushless motor. Somebody will definitley go into more detail about this I'm sure of it, but these are just a few attributes to the brushed being louder.
Yes the PL event .... Was my first time at an event so I basically just walk the paths(trails) that were marked...did that proven grounds, got asked to do sumo wars cuz of the 2.2S I was running...up against a wraith.... Of course he won...lol
Had a great time there... Thanks for asking
Old 05-08-2017, 01:17 PM   #8
RCC Addict

https://youtu.be/IUqK-81QWNg
Here's a video of the truck on the trail, and that's how loud the truck is, kinda loud if you ask me....lol
Old 05-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #9
MODERATOR™

That's gear mesh. That's the sound of two gears bottoming out and grinding away at each other. That's not the sound of the motor. And don't let go of the steering wheel.

In real life you be going like 50 mph over that terrain.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 02:32 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
That's gear mesh. That's the sound of two gears bottoming out and grinding away at each other. That's not the sound of the motor. And don't let go of the steering wheel.

In real life you be going like 50 mph over that terrain.
The pinion N spur gear....bottoming out...these terms/sayings you are saying are new, cam you explain please...if I can guess , is it at a certain point of the 2 gears are to tight at one point, I can spin it until it starts getting tight , then that passes it spins freely...
Old 05-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank211 View Post
https://youtu.be/IUqK-81QWNg
Here's a video of the truck on the trail, and that's how loud the truck is, kinda loud if you ask me....lol
Ouch pinion and spur gear mesh too tight, may need new spur gear by now to get it as quiet as possible.

How to Set the Gear Mesh on Your RC Car or Truck - RC Driver
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank211 View Post
The pinion N spur gear....bottoming out...these terms/sayings you are saying are new, cam you explain please...if I can guess , is it at a certain point of the 2 gears are to tight at one point, I can spin it until it starts getting tight , then that passes it spins freely...
You said its not too tight but I'd just double check if I were you, it couldnt hurt to take a peek. It sounds very tight after seeing and hearing the video, that can only be the case of that god awful sound.
You can put a peice of paper in between the 2 and spin it through and while in the middle of doing that, tighten down your motor on the plate. I just eyeball it, people have their many different ways of doing though.
MattySlimz1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:09 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Could it just be my spur gear , its the 56t 32p spur, prior to that I had a HR 60t metal spur never made that noise..., maybe that's the problem? I had to switch the spur over to the plastic one because the drive hub #11118 wasn't allowing my spur to spin, spur would hit the hub, so had to swap them out, maybe that's the culprit ....lol spur looks a lil chewed up...., after taking a look at it....
Old 05-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Courser gear of a 32p is louder than the 48p, mesh might be too tight also
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 08:16 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I run 32P on all my trail/crawler rigs. At one time I was running 9T pinion and 54T spur. Very noisy. Had to change the motor and went to 13T pinion with the 54T spur. Noticed right away it was quieter.

I adjust my gear mesh by "feel" rather than the paper method. It's a little difficult to describe but basically, I hold the pinion so it doesn't move and "rock" the spur back and forth. Adjustment should be so you feel just a very slight movement from contact of one tooth til you feel it contact the tooth beside it. Check through one whole rotation of the spur gear for the tight spot and adjust at that point. Also, when you tighten the motor down there seems to always be a slight change in the clearance, sometimes tighter and sometimes looser, so double check and adjust accordingly. First time might take a while to get it right but be patient, it'll be worth it in the end. It'll get easier after you've done it a few times.

I have used 48P occasionally and adjust by the same method but it seems to take me much longer to get it right with the 48P. Probably because I don't do enough of them to have the right "feel" yet.

And just a little tip from the 1:1 world, which I don't know how much validity it has in the 1:10 world. Run one gear even tooth and one gear odd tooth. It has to do with gear mesh and wear.
nightcrawler48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:01 PM   #16
RCC Addict

By far the easiest way to set mesh is to disconnect the driveshafts, loosen the motor screws until you can start to move the motor, and run the motor while adjusting the mesh until you find the "sweet" spot where it sounds smooth and quiet. Too tight and too loose of mesh will be louder than the proper mesh. I've used this on all my rigs and it works awesome. Eliminates the need to find the tight spot (remember, no spur is perfectly round, especially plastic). You might need to try it a couple times as tightening the motor screws can change the mesh too, so only loosen the screws as little as possible to allow the motor to move when setting mesh.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:50 AM   #17
RCC Addict

From a 9t to a 13t pinion... The 9 noisy as hell....like I said perfect mesh,...13t on perfect mesh no noise at all, why did the few teeth make a difference? Weird??? Any ideas guys
Old 05-11-2017, 10:30 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

The shape of the gear teeth on very small tooth count like 9 is less ideal and therefore gear mesh is much noisier. Some brands of gears are better than others too.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 07:16 PM   #19

Mine is loud too, but there's a difference between 48p and 32p?
pncstod14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:39 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

48p is usually quieter - 64p even more so. Not as durable when feeding them brushless 3S-4S power!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote

Loud motor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
So loud! mudbeast2 Axial Yeti 13 11-02-2015 10:21 AM
My motor is really loud? What's the deal? Siccmade Axial SCX-10 10 12-18-2012 02:40 PM
It's loud! Mortimer Snerd Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 04-01-2010 10:05 PM
Why so loud? JeepinDoug Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 12 02-15-2009 07:50 PM
How loud? rizzle23 Newbie General 5 01-17-2006 07:48 PM