Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Best Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2017, 03:49 AM   #1

Question Best Kit

I am looking into buying a kit in the next month or so. I was wondering which kit do you recommend(this will be my first kit but 3rd truck)? Basically i'm looking for comparisons between the different kits out there. What makes each kit better vs the others. I have been looking around the web for different kits and i'm having trouble deciphering which, if any, are better than the rest. Thanks in advance.
TURBOxN3RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2017, 05:18 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Best Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOxN3RD View Post
I am looking into buying a kit in the next month or so. I was wondering which kit do you recommend(this will be my first kit but 3rd truck)? Basically i'm looking for comparisons between the different kits out there. What makes each kit better vs the others. I have been looking around the web for different kits and i'm having trouble deciphering which, if any, are better than the rest. Thanks in advance.
You are going to need to give more information on what you want before someone could give a recommendation...what vehicle type/what size/what you want to use it for/etc.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:48 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

If your thinking axial kit, you might have a bit of a wait......

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 07:15 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, gonna need more information, such as what your budget might be and where your willing to shop like are you willing to buy from E-Bay, LHS, or just online retailers.

As far as differences, are you looking for more performance or more scale?

On the scale end of things are RC4WD Kits, Cross-RC, I am sure there are others I am forgetting but that's all I can think of at the moment on that end.

On the performance end of things are Vaterra, Axial, again I am sure I am missing some again but that's what I can think of. As far as axial kit's about the only place you are going to find a new in box kit for any of them is most likely going to be limited to E-Bay and you will still be lucky to find them there as Axial, at least according to what I have heard are in the process of getting a new factory up and running. (Lot's of rumors going on with what is happening with Axial currently)
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 11:38 AM   #5

I agree with the above statements. You need to supply more information regarding what avenue you are looking at pursuing and budget.

Personally, I have been looking at the Gmade Sawback. A little cheaper than rc4wd, etc. and I really want to do a scaler with leafs. I am not big on the body though, but of course bodies are plentiful. Anything you pick I'm sure you will be happy with in the end.
originalsledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:44 PM   #6

Sorry for the lack of information included in the OP, I'm looking more for a capable crawler. I have a mud truck and a scaler so this one is going to be more for general crawling(smaller rocks, little timber and steep grades). I have been reading up on the ascender, scx10, trail finder 2 and such. Just can't seem to figure out which one out of the box would suit my needs the best. This truck won't be a true scaler but will still like to keep it somewhat realistic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-10-2017, 03:46 PM   #7

As for a budget it will be a project so the over all cost will obviously vary but not looking to spend a ton on the kit it's self. Other words budget isn't an issue.

Old 05-10-2017, 03:58 PM   #8
Slow is the new Fast

2.2 or 1.9?
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 04:00 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOG View Post
2.2 or 1.9?

Probably stick to 1.9.

Old 05-10-2017, 04:47 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Well, if you can find an SCX10-II Kit, that would be a nice route to go, either that or the Ascender. The TF2 is more of a scale vehicle, without modification it will not handle anywhere near what a box stock SCX10-II can or an Ascender. Now the Ascender will suffer from more Torque Twist out the gate than an SCX10-II but as has been said the 10.2 is kind of a pita to find at the moment because of whatever is going on with Axial so your best bet would be to ask around here and or go to E-Bay.
malickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:25 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by malickie View Post
...SCX10-II Kit, that would be a nice route to go, either that or the Ascender. The TF2 is more of a scale vehicle, without modification it will not handle anywhere near what a box stock SCX10-II can or an Ascender.
Yes, check out the Ascender section, read the stickies and some build threads. Torque twist is tamed with rear link relocation and/or swaybar.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #12
I joined the Band!

Default Best Kit

I recommend the Gmade Komodo, reasonably priced and all you really need to up grade is the CVD's for better steering.

I did the CVD mod, added weight down low, and installed better tires and the Komodo is now one of my favorites.

The suspension at first seemed to bind because of the orientation of the upper link ends, but I like how the partial droop system works on the rocks.

As opposed to the Ascender, it has no torque twist, as opposed to any Axial, you can get one now, and it beats the TF2 if super scale is not your goal.

Also, gmade has not yet banned retailer discounts.

Last edited by spaceman5280; 05-11-2017 at 11:10 AM.
spaceman5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:29 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Hpi is coming out with the new 1/10 trail rig in a month or so...
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
Hpi is coming out with the new 1/10 trail rig in a month or so...

Haven't read much into that one Amy have to check it out

Old 05-11-2017, 12:32 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

New Toyota FJ body scaler
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #16

There really isn't a "best" kit. It boils down to personal preference.

You may want to wait a bit though as there is some new models coming down the pipe. Can't go wrong with the SCX10 if you can get one. Komodo or Ascender would be nice too.

I'd take one of everything!

Last edited by originalsledge; 05-11-2017 at 03:05 PM.
originalsledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 06:24 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Be adventurous, do a ground up build
Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:07 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Here are some thoughts from someone that has an OG SCX10, 2 SCX10 IIs, 3 Ascenders, and 4 TF2s (among other things). As between an OG SCX10 kit (if you can still find one) and an Ascender, the Ascender is hands-down the better truck out of the box. Stock Ascender components are more durable and performance is much better than stock OG SCX10. As between an SCX10 II kit and an Ascender, they're both very good. The SCX10 II has more gear reduction in the axles and thus less torque twist, but that's easily tamed in the Ascender in any number of ways. The SCX10 II also has better stock shocks than the Ascender, but shocks are an easy (and inexpensive) upgrade. The Ascender currently has much better kit and parts availability due to Axial's current supply chain issues, but that should even out within a couple of months once Axial gets its production ramped up again. Aftermarket support for both trucks is very good, so at the moment, I'd call it even. The TF2 is a great platform, but it takes some work to get performance to SCX10 II or Ascender levels. If you're after performance more than scale appeal, the Ascender and SCX10 II get the nod.

The HPI Venture looks very interesting, but I've been told by reliable sources that it will only be available as an RTR initially. So if you're looking for a kit and don't want to wait indefinitely, take that one off the list. I don't have any direct experience with the Komodo, so I can't speak with firsthand knowledge about design, performance, quality, etc. But if aftermarket support matters to you, there aren't nearly as many options for the Komodo as there are for the Ascender and SCX10 II.

So there you go, for whatever it's worth, lol.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 02:51 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsledge View Post
You may want to wait a bit as there is some new models coming down the pipe. Can't go wrong with the SCX10 if you can get one. Komodo or Ascender would be nice too. It really boils down to what YOU want...

I'd take one of everything!

I'd love to but don't have access to a good fab shop.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:54 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Here are some thoughts from someone that has an OG SCX10, 2 SCX10 IIs, 3 Ascenders, and 4 TF2s (among other things). As between an OG SCX10 kit (if you can still find one) and an Ascender, the Ascender is hands-down the better truck out of the box. Stock Ascender components are more durable and performance is much better than stock OG SCX10. As between an SCX10 II kit and an Ascender, they're both very good. The SCX10 II has more gear reduction in the axles and thus less torque twist, but that's easily tamed in the Ascender in any number of ways. The SCX10 II also has better stock shocks than the Ascender, but shocks are an easy (and inexpensive) upgrade. The Ascender currently has much better kit and parts availability due to Axial's current supply chain issues, but that should even out within a couple of months once Axial gets its production ramped up again. Aftermarket support for both trucks is very good, so at the moment, I'd call it even. The TF2 is a great platform, but it takes some work to get performance to SCX10 II or Ascender levels. If you're after performance more than scale appeal, the Ascender and SCX10 II get the nod.

The HPI Venture looks very interesting, but I've been told by reliable sources that it will only be available as an RTR initially. So if you're looking for a kit and don't want to wait indefinitely, take that one off the list. I don't have any direct experience with the Komodo, so I can't speak with firsthand knowledge about design, performance, quality, etc. But if aftermarket support matters to you, there aren't nearly as many options for the Komodo as there are for the Ascender and SCX10 II.

So there you go, for whatever it's worth, lol.

Actually that was a great response. Pretty much what I was looking for, a good all around "hands on" comparison. I'm currently looking between SCXii and a sawback. The sawback looks solid but I don't know many people who have them.

Tags
comparison, kit