Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Gearing help using a HH stubby

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2017, 01:58 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Gearing help using a HH stubby

I have a HH stubby 3300kv running 3s, on a toyzuki v1 and scx10 2 axles. ATM I have 32p 56t 9t. What is the recommended gearing for this setup? I don't want to go up more then 10 for the pinion cause of clearance so a smaller spur I preferred.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Johan_Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-2017, 05:32 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Gearing help using a HH stubby

I run that motor on 3S in several rigs with OG SCX10 (AX10) trannies, as well as in an SCX10 II with the kit tranny. I tend to be very conservative with gearing to keep temps and stress low and to increase torque at the wheels, so I usually stick with a 5:1 or higher spur/pinion ratio regardless of tire size (C1, C2 or C3). With that gearing, my motors don't even get warm to the touch, much less hot. So based on that, I think you could easily drop down to the 48P spur with the 9T pinion (assuming that combo works on the Toyzuki chassis) and be very safe. You would probably also be fine with a 48/10 combo, esp. if you're running a C1 or C2 tire. Regardless of what you do, it's always a good idea to check motor temps whenever you change gearing or switch out to taller tires just to make sure you don't have any heat issues. I usually check after 2-3 minutes of runtime, again at about 5-8 minutes, and again at 10-15 mins. If the engine is still cool at that point, you should be fine. Hope that helps!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 12:17 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Gearing help using a HH stubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
I run that motor on 3S in several rigs with OG SCX10 (AX10) trannies, as well as in an SCX10 II with the kit tranny. I tend to be very conservative with gearing to keep temps and stress low and to increase torque at the wheels, so I usually stick with a 5:1 or higher spur/pinion ratio regardless of tire size (C1, C2 or C3). With that gearing, my motors don't even get warm to the touch, much less hot. So based on that, I think you could easily drop down to the 48P spur with the 9T pinion (assuming that combo works on the Toyzuki chassis) and be very safe. You would probably also be fine with a 48/10 combo, esp. if you're running a C1 or C2 tire. Regardless of what you do, it's always a good idea to check motor temps whenever you change gearing or switch out to taller tires just to make sure you don't have any heat issues. I usually check after 2-3 minutes of runtime, again at about 5-8 minutes, and again at 10-15 mins. If the engine is still cool at that point, you should be fine. Hope that helps!

Thank you for the input. I run 1.9 rock beast non xl ATM. I run the dual slipper on my toyzuki, I can't seem to find any lower tooth spurs that can use the dual slipper and that is plastic. Might have to go back to the old school single slipper.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Last edited by Johan_Eriksson; 05-26-2017 at 01:28 AM.
Johan_Eriksson is offline   Reply With Quote