Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Thoughts on power mods for Sumo Crawlers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2017, 08:55 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Thoughts on power mods for Sumo Crawlers

Love to hear various options for increasing power/torque on my 1/24 Redcat Sumo crawler BESIDES the 2s lipo conversion I see many users do. Currently I'm running Panasonic Omloop Pro aaa's on stock gearing and motor. Any suggestions??
sethstiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Thoughts on power mods for Sumo Crawlers

This would be better in the micro crawler section where those into micros would see the post.
Typically for more power you can play with the pinion or spur, swap to a better or bigger motor, or add a more powerful battery.
There isn't really a large spur gear on the sumo, and the motor and pinion don't have any bolt in replacements. You would have to fabricate something. You could swap to the losi micro crawler or trekker transmission, but that would make your sumo much faster and not really a crawler and for the money and time it's probably not the best option unless you want lots of speed.
Even though you don't want a lipo that really is the best option for power for the sumo.
I'm not sure what the omloop is, I assume you mean the eneloop.
I have some and try are great batteries for remotes and transmitters, but they are still low voltage nimh batteries.
They simply do not compare to lithium batteries. A lipo conversion will be less weight up top which lowers your center of gravity, a noticeable power increase, the power is also more consistent across the charge of the pack rather than dropping off towards the end of the charge like NIMH, and the run times will be even longer. The power is what's most noticeable though.
There is a reason you see everyone swapping to a lipo. It's the best bang for the buck and the easiest.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 02:45 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Word on the streets is that the motor from a TowerPro mg958 servo ($11 shipped) gives a significant increase in power. I've yet to try it myself, but I've got 2 of those servos in service on other cars, and I'll be ordering a few more this week. If the gears fail first, I'll certainly be robbing the motor from one of the servos to give it a try in the Sumo.

I know you don't want to hear it, but switching to a 250mah 2s (~$10) meant for a Losi micro rock crawler felt like it doubled the power. Equally beneficial, it allowed us to drop a lot of weight by losing not only 4 batteries, but the battery boxes as well.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:20 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Ok, I'm ready to do the lipo mod for more power. One concern: Will the stock ESC take it without burning up? I have heard various reports on this question....mostly yes, it can take it. Thanks for the input too.
sethstiles is offline   Reply With Quote

Thoughts on power mods for Sumo Crawlers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rc4wd d90 (with sumo motor/tranny and suspension mods) TownsendTdi Micro Scale Rigs 28 08-11-2017 05:36 PM
Sumo crawler power upgrades? boy&hisdogs Micro Scale Rigs 2 03-13-2013 06:16 PM
any vendor here sell Sumo Redcat micro crawlers? RootBreaker Chit Chat 2 12-08-2012 01:47 PM
VXL 3s power issues - thoughts? TwistedXT Electronics 12 11-22-2011 09:29 PM
Super power and powertrain thoughts... Duuuuuuuude Electronics 0 02-04-2009 09:49 PM