Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New Crawler/ Rock Racer for under $200

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2017, 08:27 AM   #81
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: New Crawler/ Rock Racer for under $200

Have you looked at WL Toys on Banggood? There is some risk with QC being hit or miss and no US dealer and parts support, but the features are great, price point is great and if you get a good one, many reviews on them are great.
sethstiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2017, 06:21 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

You could also look into the WLToys Twin Hammers ripoff clone. Very cheap, and quite fast out of the box as far as I can tell.
Might have to do more upgrades in the end when you're starting off cheaper, but might be a good way to get started (or, resell and get something better if/when you decide you'd like to invest more into the hobby).

WLtoys 12428 1:12 Scale 2.4G 4WD RC Off-road Car US PLUG-$86.13 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

There's some build/mod threads on the Twin Hammers section of the forum.
IVIaarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:11 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVIaarten View Post
You could also look into the WLToys Twin Hammers ripoff clone. Very cheap, and quite fast out of the box as far as I can tell.
Might have to do more upgrades in the end when you're starting off cheaper, but might be a good way to get started (or, resell and get something better if/when you decide you'd like to invest more into the hobby).

WLtoys 12428 1:12 Scale 2.4G 4WD RC Off-road Car US PLUG-$86.13 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

There's some build/mod threads on the Twin Hammers section of the forum.
That is not the clone, it is the 1/12 scale. the clone is 1/10. Gearbest does not seem to have them right now.

this is the clone:
https://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-1042...rmmds=category

These are different variations of the same truck, just different bodies:
WLtoys 10428 - B 4WD 30km/h Rock Climbing RC Truck - RTR -$129.99 Online Shopping| GearBest.com
WLtoys 10428 - C2 1:10 RC Climbing Truck - RTR -$113.69 Online Shopping| GearBest.com

I like the Polaris Razor looking one myself.
originalsledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:39 AM   #84
Rock Stacker

I am only buying on Amazon for now, since if something goes wrong I can just return it and that clone is not available on Amazon, neither is the Axial bomber, wraith and yeti Jr. So I went with the feiyue Eagle-3 someone mentioned above. I paid $114 fulfilled by Amazon including delivery 2S lipo and charger. I have already ordered bigger tires and a 8000mAh 2S Lipo.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
latinomanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 11:41 AM   #85
Rock Stacker

Any suggestion for a twin stick transmitter and receiver that allow throttle that is around $50 bucks or less and that is not too big? I find most of the hobby grade twin sticks transmitters are too big, I prefer the ones in the toy cars since they are small and look and feel more like a Play Station controller.

Last edited by latinomanz; 06-23-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 03:20 PM   #86

The B4wd actually looks good.
taktalok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #87

You are going to be pushing the limits of what the drive-train can handle with those bigger tires. Also did you check to see if that battery will fit? I don't think it will... It has a Traxxas connector too which won't work.... It will probably weigh more than the truck!

As far as the controller goes, they are a proprietary system. which means you will have to swap out all the electronics. I personally would just suck it up and get used to the pistol style remote. I think you will find it better in the long run. And no you will not find all this for around $50.

You are going to be way over your budget at this rate. I whole heartily agree with everyone above that you should have saved up a bit more and just bought hobby grade to begin with. I find that it is these very instances that frustrate a newcomer and deter them from the hobby.

FYI: https://www.amazon.com/DKRC-Wltoys-2...ds=wltoys+k949

A little more money, but you are already getting there anyway AND all the Twin Hammers parts fit it! So worth it in the long run...

Good luck!

Last edited by originalsledge; 06-23-2017 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-23-2017, 09:18 PM   #88
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by originalsledge View Post
You are going to be pushing the limits of what the drive-train can handle with those bigger tires. Also did you check to see if that battery will fit? I don't think it will... It has a Traxxas connector too which won't work.... It will probably weigh more than the truck!

As far as the controller goes, they are a proprietary system. which means you will have to swap out all the electronics. I personally would just suck it up and get used to the pistol style remote. I think you will find it better in the long run. And no you will not find all this for around $50.

You are going to be way over your budget at this rate. I whole heartily agree with everyone above that you should have saved up a bit more and just bought hobby grade to begin with. I find that it is these very instances that frustrate a newcomer and deter them from the hobby.

FYI: https://www.amazon.com/DKRC-Wltoys-2...ds=wltoys+k949

A little more money, but you are already getting there anyway AND all the Twin Hammers parts fit it! So worth it in the long run...

Good luck!
I realized the battery was a lot bigger and heavy for the car after it arrived. That is why I like Amazon, if I make a mistake, I can just return it.

I thought the feiyue eagle 3 was a hobby grade, I did not know it had a propietary system.

Can I replace the transmitter or the twins hammers or is it propietary too? What about in the Axial Yeti Jr?

I do not think I can get used to a pistol grip, I will try it for a month but if I can't get used to it, then I will get a hobby car and just replace the transmitter.

Last edited by latinomanz; 06-23-2017 at 11:25 PM.
Old 06-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Already sounds like you are spending more when if you just listened to everyone earlier, you would have spent that money on a better rig.
I read more than once they tried to warn you about the electronics in the fiuye, that its all one unit and you would have to replace everything just to replace one thing.

Here is some golden advice:
If you ask for advice, its best to follow it.

Return everything, save for a better hobby grade rig, spend less in the long run and be much more satisfied and less frustrated.

As for the game controller, that is a gimmick used on toy grade cars because kids are more familiar with a gamer controller.
Sticks are fine, just realize its the same as a truck. If you want toy features, you will end up with a toy.

I highly recommend finding a used twin hammers rtr.
Later you can add 2 speed to the twin hammers, adds a low gear to slow it down for crawling.
Doesnt come with a sticks remote, but easily changed out if you can live with the fact its not going to be like holding and xbox controller.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 05:20 PM   #90
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by latinomanz View Post
I thought the feiyue eagle 3 was a hobby grade...
Did you read and pay any attention to the information posted in this thread? Post 63:

Quote:
There's plenty of reviews online of the Feiyue and from what I remember reading it's really a toy grade car, rather than hobby grade.
And just in case you missed this before also in post 63, I'll say again:

Quote:
You seem to be fixated with trying to find the cheapest car, and ignoring the warnings from others about the weaknesses and limitations of these types of vehicles. It will probably only be after your first hand experience, disappointment and frustration with these cheap cars, will you appreciate and acknowledge some of the advice given in this thread.
Please keep us updated. So far this story is unfolding exactly as predicted...
Rotare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:03 PM   #91
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotare View Post
Did you read and pay any attention to the information posted in this thread? Post 63:

And just in case you missed this before also in post 63, I'll say again:

Please keep us updated. So far this story is unfolding exactly as predicted...
The thing is the Axial Bomber, Axial Wraith and Axial Yeti Jr are not available and fulfilled by Amazon on Amazon, so I dont have any choice by to buy the Eagle-3 for now and if I dont like it to return it after a few weeks.
Old 06-25-2017, 11:40 PM   #92
Rock Stacker

Is the traxxas stampede good for crawling?
Old 06-26-2017, 04:47 AM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Is the traxxas stampede good for crawling?
No.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:56 AM   #94

Why does it have to be amazon? Amazon is the worst they always take so long with there shipping. I just don't understand why it has to be amazon?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bryner250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 10:40 AM   #95
I wanna be Dave

I think he's going through them because of their liberal returns policy...

Sell anything you can legally get your hands on, mow lawns, do chores, and buy an Axial SCX10 Deadbolt as soon as it's released - expected in mid-July.

$299.99, quite good out of the box, very easy to upgrade, there are excellent video's from Harley on it (what order to do the updates, showing how to do them, how much they cost).

Fullscreen Axial Deadbolt factory video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Cc5x7rgvY

Axial website for the Deadbolt:

Axial Racing - SCX10

Harley Designs series Intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMY6...x9YDiPQEjvpmK2
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:20 AM   #96
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
I think he's going through them because of their liberal returns policy...

Sell anything you can legally get your hands on, mow lawns, do chores, and buy an Axial SCX10 Deadbolt as soon as it's released - expected in mid-July.

$299.99, quite good out of the box, very easy to upgrade, there are excellent video's from Harley on it (what order to do the updates, showing how to do them, how much they cost).

Fullscreen Axial Deadbolt factory video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8Cc5x7rgvY

Axial website for the Deadbolt:

Axial Racing - SCX10

Harley Designs series Intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMY6...x9YDiPQEjvpmK2
Yes, it is very easy to return something to Amazon.

Which one is better, the Wraith or the SCX Deadbolt?

Also, I have read the Traxxas Summit is a good crawler, is it true?

Last edited by latinomanz; 06-26-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-26-2017, 04:42 PM   #97
dav

Mate, patience is a virtue, save your pennies & buy a decent rig which will last for years to come. There is alot of smart folk on this forum with many many years of this hobby under there belt & who are dishing out very good advice & it would be wise to take this advice on board.
dav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 04:58 PM   #98

Quote:
Which one is better, the Wraith or the SCX Deadbolt?
You will hear people on both sides of this, but it boils down to personal preference and what you intend to use it for. I have a wraith and love it, but I only ended up buying it because i got a ripping deal on a new in box one a guy at the local club was selling.

Quote:
Also, I have read the Traxxas Summit is a good crawler, is it true?
Really...? you are all over the map here.... The 1/10 is very expensive and does not hold a candle to other (much better) trucks in the same price range. I have a summit and it is fun, but diffs are a weak point for sure. If you are talking 1/18, then I cant help you, only that I would not go for one myself.

Seriously though, buy that Twin hammers clone and a spare battery. You will be happy you did. Perfect first rig around your price range, but yes the electronics are proprietary too.

Or just wait and save up for something better. This is ultimately what I would do. Just be patient and RESEARCH!
Old 06-26-2017, 06:27 PM   #99
Quarry Creeper

Hobby grade = all electronics are replaceable and parts are generally available
Toy grade = drive it till it breaks and throw it away.

All the real name brands are the only way to go. If you want something fast buy a basher. Most people start with h a basher then get into crawling especially if they arent competing. If you want to crawl buy a cheap crawler.

BTW my first crawler was a exceed mad torque. Threw two 55T motors on it and ran it. Chopped the frame and had tons of fun and learned a lot. Mad torque has metal gears. Can handle 3s. At least some of them seem to. Probably better with a bec. And the tires really really suck. But anyway point being is just go buy something
If you catch the rc fever you will be in for spending a hell of a lot more than 200 bucks anyway.

And its never too late to reread this article to remember what everyone actually said. It only took me a few minutes.

One last thing when I got a used scx10 it was what I really found to be the most fun. The most versatile. But still an awesome crawler. don't be scared of used just because you dont know a lot. There's only one way to learn.

Last edited by Evo93; 06-26-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Evo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:19 PM   #100
Rock Stacker

Ok, I will return this car and get either:
Wraith.
Bomber.
Yeti Jr.
The new Redcat coming out in July.
I might get the kit as long as all the parts are available on Amazon.

I just have to wait for them to be available on Amazon.

Tags
cralwer, rock racer

New Crawler/ Rock Racer for under $200 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rock Racer or Crawler aceisback Vaterra Twin Hammers 13 03-21-2013 09:18 AM
Rock Racer vs Crawler klamp Newbie General 7 06-22-2011 12:37 PM
Rock Racer to Rock Crawler Conversion Orgnoi1 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 9 03-06-2010 10:07 PM
hobby grade rock crawler for under $200 crawlerb Newbie General 6 06-07-2007 09:26 AM