Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to Crawling

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2017, 06:50 PM   #1

Default New to Crawling

New to crawling, not new to R/C. Bought a SCX10 ii Kit that I finished building a few days ago. Super excited about getting into crawling but I've got some worries. My SCX seems to have a slight crab walk, I've checked all the links. I'm also wanting more travel. And are wheel weights possible without the beadlocks? I still have the Methods that came with it on there. I do want to upgrade to 2.2 tires though.
Scoobarooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2017, 07:08 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New to Crawling

Welcome to the crawling world and RCC. You picked an excellent first kit. My recommendation is to run it for a while (at least 3-4 packs) before you start modding it. Lots of newbies put 2.2s on their SCX10s early on (I was one of them) thinking that it will help performance before realizing that these are much more fun to drive with scale 1.9 tires. The stock tires actually work very well with the stock foams after some breaking in (2-3 hours of drive time works wonders). The same goes with trying to get more suspension travel. In stock form, the 10.2 is highly capable and has more than enough suspension travel. Trying to get more suspension travel (more flex as lots of people like to refer to it) usually ends up making the truck less stable, not more capable. So rather than making those mods right away, drive it some, learn how it reacts/responds, and most importantly, learn how to pick lines to get the most out of the truck. Once you've got some experience under your belt, it will be much easier to choose sensible upgrades that enhance your driving experience.

As for the crab walking, it's hard to say without pictures or video. The usual suspects to check would be link lengths, orientation of the bent rod ends, and wheels being properly seated on the hexes.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:34 AM   #3

I'll take that as good advice. Any recommendations on a good set of tires? I love KO2's but not too ideal for climbing things. Are wheel weights a good idea?

Also, is there anyone on here that will paint a shell for me? Haha.

I have checked all the links though as well as re seated all the wheels onto the axles. Everything seems to line up well.
Scoobarooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 11:52 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

For tires, there are lots of good choices. You first need to decide what tire height you'd like to use. If you want to go up to 4.75", the new Pit Bull 1.9 Rock Beast XL is probably the best all around performer available right now. The 1.9 Growler in Alien Kompound is another excellent choice from Pit Bull. One nice benefit of going with these newer Pit Bull Alien Kompound tires is that the stock foams they come with are very good all-purpose foams. The Pro-Line Super Swamper XLs and RC4WD Baja Claws both look great and perform well with aftermarket foams. I haven't run KLRs, but I've run beside them enough times to know they also perform very well. So if you're after performance, I'd suggest the Pits. If you like the look of one of the others, grab some aftermarket 2-stage foams and you'll get good results.

If you want to stay in the 4.4-4.6" range, there are also plenty of good choices. Some of my favorites include 1.9 Rock Beast XORs, 1.9 Rock Beasts in Komp Kompound, and RC4WD 1.9 Iroks. The 1.9 Rock Beasts in Komp Kompound and 1.9 Iroks both would need aftermarket foams to get the most out of them.

But I still go back to my first post. Get some run time in on your stock setup before you start replacing things. Box stock, this truck is super capable. Here are a couple of videos of one of mine in action (it's also kit built on stock tires, with the only major upgrade being our BowHouse RC tranny flip kit with cradle and battery tray):

https://youtu.be/FkBZuCqT-i0

https://youtu.be/HCp6_loo5bc?list=PL...3kzGeb1Agg1HbZ

Last edited by new2rocks; 07-29-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobarooo View Post
I'll take that as good advice. Any recommendations on a good set of tires? I love KO2's but not too ideal for climbing things. Are wheel weights a good idea?

Also, is there anyone on here that will paint a shell for me? Haha.

I have checked all the links though as well as re seated all the wheels onto the axles. Everything seems to line up well.
Freqeskinz makes some cool wraps if dont want to paiant it. I bought used body with crappy paint job and covered it up. Look, there's your answer:paint it,it will be good practice.If you hate it,google rc body wraps. I love Proline hyrax and flatiron tires-just my humble opion,Sir
Mudflap84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:56 PM   #6

Hi all. Another new guy here. Love RC's but up till now i only had the cheap department store RC's. Was lucky to have one last a year. Came across some vids of "scale crawlers" i think they're called, and loved the realism on how they looked and drove. After looking around on the net I found a few that really struck my interest, but due to tight budget they are a no go. Found one on ebay that struck my interest and was with in my price line. 1/10 scale crawler by RGT with land rover body. Looking to swap out body with bronco body as first mod.

To make a long story longer i trying to find out if parts (electronics and mechanical wise) can be used from different brands or only parts made with that one company?
David C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 05:51 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by David C View Post
/10 scale crawler by RGT with land rover body. Looking to swap out body with bronco body as first mod.

To make a long story longer i trying to find out if parts (electronics and mechanical wise) can be used from different brands or only parts made with that one company?

Interchangeability on even basic parts with inexpensive trucks is always hit or miss. Here's a thread specifically on the RGT with some info that may be helpful:
RGT bronco
Old 08-01-2017, 08:42 PM   #8

Thanks for the link.
David C is offline   Reply With Quote

New to Crawling - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new to crawling rcrazy Newbie General 0 09-08-2012 01:30 AM
Rock crawling vet, new to rc crawling. LowLock Newbie General 3 02-23-2011 07:53 AM
New to RC crawling old to real crawling need help Longgun101 Newbie General 9 11-11-2009 07:05 AM
anyone crawling near vegas going to be crawling on monday or tuesday? KILLER KRAWLER Nevada 4 08-09-2009 08:07 PM