Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: No clue where to start...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2017, 02:17 PM   #1

Default No clue where to start...

Okay so maybe someone here can point me in the right direction. I'm considering getting a crawler or a trail truck but I have a few questions:

1)What is the difference between these two types of trucks? I've loved watching the RCSparks videos with these trucks just crawling up these amazing courses. Fascinating stuff.

2)Where do you guys run your trucks? I have no interest in competition but I can't say that my backyard would be an adequate challenge for some of the cool terrain I see these trucks in. So where do you guys run your trucks? Do you build your own courses? Go to a club? Just scale whatever you find?

I can take my traxxas stampede anywhere and have a blast, does a crawler or trail truck provide the same versatility in getting fun out of a location?

3)My budget is under $250 so what would be the best fit in this range?
kev971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2017, 03:55 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: No clue where to start...

I'm also still a newbee.

I started with an tamyia frog cause i had no clue at the beginning and it was the only kit available in the lhs i went thru cause they hat big going out of business deals.

but i had no chance to run it on the surface available in the near.

my next kit i just looked to get a kit i can drive in my surrounding (wide open grass fields) so i came to the axial yeti which i love. U can go fast or light crawling.

the difference between the two types of rc you mention (crawler / trail)

crawler are really slow and only optimized to take lines a 1:1 never could do, a trail rig is your companion if u go hiking, where the rig also had to take several obstacles, and a scaler is more replicating a 1.1 car with less crawl performance.

My advice would be look at the terrain u want to drive and get a rig for it.
If you have a backyard u can build a track for your choice. if not ....

But a budget of 250 if u start is very tide, cause in addition to the rc car u will need tools, lipos (batteries), charger.........

Last edited by magic_yeti; 07-28-2017 at 03:58 PM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 04:12 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

You're gonna have a tough time getting anything decent for $250. That's a really low entry point. Maybe look for a Twin Hammer or an ECX Barrage. You're going to need upgrades on either of those rigs.
ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:02 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
You're gonna have a tough time getting anything decent for $250. That's a really low entry point. Maybe look for a Twin Hammer or an ECX Barrage. You're going to need upgrades on either of those rigs.
Agreed.

Heres a good kit for $179 with electronics included.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/ecx-bar...x01011/p682604

http://www.rccaraction.com/ecx-1-9-b...ild-drive-kit/
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 05:41 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Buy second hand.

An SCX10 or Bomber is a cool place to start and with 2 speed gearboxes and brushed motors or more expensive sensored waterproof power systems you can have a great crawler and trail truck in a single package. It won't jump well but they go fast enough to scream around and be great on the rocks.
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 06:26 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Agreed.

Heres a good kit for $179 with electronics included.
https://www.amainhobbies.com/ecx-bar...x01011/p682604

Now You Can Build Your Own ECX Barrage -
I 2nd this ,new, 179.99 kit..a beginners build, something I gonna be getting 1.9s, they improved it... Its a given..
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:55 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I'd go second hand Axial. I'm sure some one would be wiling to sell an OG scx10 for $250. Then next month when your kicking your self for not buying an scx10 you could be buying upgrades for it. Just a thought.

You mentioned you have a stampede, do u have lipos and charger then?
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 04:44 AM   #8

Thanks for the replies! I do have a stampeded so I already have a few lipos and a charger.

Where do you guys actually run your trucks? I guess my price point is so low because I'm not really sure if this type of RC is for me. I mean if I had access to some of the courses I've seen on youtube then hell yeah! Do you guys build your own courses? Just go out and find trails to crawl?

My stampede can be taken anywhere for a pretty good time. How true is that for a crawler?
kev971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 09:09 AM   #9
clm
Quarry Creeper

For cheap there is also the Everest 10 from redcat. Just about any scx10 (as it is more or less an axial AX10 clone) parts fit on it, if you want later you can pick up an axial or aftermarket chassis kit and make it a scaler.

It also comes with a redcat branded Flysky radio set which it's reciever can directly bind with a Flysky GT3B/GT3C or Turnigy GTX3 transmitter which can be cheaply firmware flashed to an 8 channel radio.

As stock it is dreadfully slow but you should be able to swap in a higher turn motor like one of the many 35turn crawler motors out there.

The main ugly spot is the servo, which will work for a while but really should be changed out for something 200+oz inch. Lacking servos are something which many rtr's suffer with even the new TRX-4

When you go cheap you will have to make some sacrifices, but at $150 you have some room to customize. (or 3 pay of $49 each at tower heh)

Best thing is it is a full size crawler instead of mini based like the Barrage

Chris
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:22 PM   #10
Rat

Check for Facebook groups in your area for crawler folks. It seems to be the place where a lot of R/C people congregate. My local FB crawler group has a lot of people with "spots" to crawl and people to crawl with. As an added bonus, you'll see rigs for sale/ leads on rigs etc.
Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:34 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Because it wasn't really made clear, the difference between a dedicated crawler and a trail rig.

Crawler: designed for extreme rock terrain, very slow and methodical style. Mimics extreme off road rock buggies with tube chassis, cages, 4 wheel steering, etc. A lot of the rigs are motor on axle, which is a barrier to any of the scaler events. Some examples are the Maxxstone crawler, redcat rs10, losi nite crawler.

Trail/scaler rigs:. These mimic your typical daily driver style off road trucks like Jeeps, Toyotas, Chevy, etc. These trucks are designed more for 1/10 scale trail drives. Some rock crawling, sand, creeks, etc. Lots of options here and a lot more popular than dedicated crawler, also more versatile. Some entry level options from redcat with their Everest 10 and upcoming gen7, then lots of other from axial, Vaterra, rc4wd and others.

Edit: there are also trucks known as rock racers. These are a lot faster than the other 2 and typically mimic the king of hammers style rigs. Designed for higher speeds and racing through rough terrain, but still able to go slow and trail a bit. These rigs are very capable, but can limit what categories you enter in events. Some examples include bthe Vaterra twin hammers, axial bomber, and losi rock rey.

No matter which you go for they are all customizable and you can have fun with them.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Last edited by Damatheus; 08-09-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Damatheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 01:41 PM   #12
clm
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damatheus View Post
No matter which you go for they are all customizable and you can have fun with them.
And with variable amounts of modifying you can always turn a dedicated crawler into a scaler or vise versa.
Old 08-11-2017, 05:40 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

My vote definitely goes to buying used. You should easily be able to pick up an scx10 for 250. I just picked up a scx10ii for 275 rtr. I bought it for my 5 year old daughter. Im selling my original scx10 she has been using. If I were in your shoes, I would definitely hit up craigslist and facebook for used crawlers. I would stick with the scx10 series or try to find a wraith. I have seen original scx10's locally go for $200-250 and a few wraiths go for $275-325. Good luck.
Motorider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:07 AM   #14

A used SCX10 is better than a new piece of crap, but used RCs are often beat to oblivion. You have to replace so many components that it would have been more cost effective to buy new. This is why I suggest avoiding used RCs at all costs.

$250 just isn't a good budget for RC. You need the vehicle, batteries, charger, tools, etc. You are simply not going to get all of this for under $250!

The new Redcat looks decent, but only time will tell.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Don't let people tell you there are no RCs available for under $250. What they are actually saying is you can't buy an RC4wd, Axial, or other main stream scaler for under $250 new.

There are lots of good options in the sub 250 range from Redcat, Exceed, Thunder Tiger, ECX, and others.

The Redcat Everest 10 will probably crawl/trail better than any SCX10 or TRX4 and it only costs $160.

If you want a true 1/10 scale appearance and function you will have to spend a little more. These guys with trucks on the RCSparks page sometimes have well over 1k into their trucks.

Old 08-11-2017, 01:40 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damatheus View Post
Don't let people tell you there are no RCs available for under $250. What they are actually saying is you can't buy an RC4wd, Axial, or other main stream scaler for under $250 new.

There are lots of good options in the sub 250 range from Redcat, Exceed, Thunder Tiger, ECX, and others.

The Redcat Everest 10 will probably crawl/trail better than any SCX10 or TRX4 and it only costs $160.

If you want a true 1/10 scale appearance and function you will have to spend a little more. These guys with trucks on the RCSparks page sometimes have well over 1k into their trucks.

"Good" is and opinion and debatable. Saying any of those will crawl better than an SCX10 or TRX-4 out of the box is a bold claim. The SCX10 is not the most durable RC, but I would still put it up against those mentioned. And I'm an Ascender fan.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:45 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
"Good" is and opinion and debatable. Saying any of those will crawl better than an SCX10 or TRX-4 out of the box is a bold claim. The SCX10 is not the most durable RC, but I would still put it up against those mentioned. And I'm an Ascender fan.
Yes, good is debatable. I would never claim a budget RC is as high of quality as any of the big players. But for someone not serious about the hobby, or just wanting to have some fun out of the box, they are good places to start.

As for the other bit, well, I've seen it happen and done it with my RS10. It's not always the case, but some cheap RC are definitely competitive when looked at from pure performance. They will never be on the same level when it comes to scale-ness.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:27 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

The redcat everest 10s are awsome trucks the chassie sucks and is all thats realy holding it back from being a realy good crawler on some terrain it blows my wraith away the more technical stuff but i put alot of work in to it and the best part is it dosent break parts redcat has a scailer coming out soon it should be a good option also look at tamiyas there cheap have been around forever and have good suport ive seen a few vids of the cc01 that blew me away and there are alot of bodys for them the wraiths are awsome but theres nothing cheap about them and the scx10s could get pricy as well maybe just build one over time
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:41 PM   #19
clm
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferp420 View Post
The redcat everest 10s are awsome trucks the chassie sucks and is all thats realy holding it back from being a realy good crawler on some terrain it blows my wraith away the more technical stuff but i put alot of work in to it and the best part is it dosent break parts redcat has a scailer coming out soon it should be a good option also look at tamiyas there cheap have been around forever and have good suport ive seen a few vids of the cc01 that blew me away and there are alot of bodys for them the wraiths are awsome but theres nothing cheap about them and the scx10s could get pricy as well maybe just build one over time
Best thing I would say about the Everest 10, is that you are buying into a rather large selection of aftermarket parts and chassis kits available for the Axial ax10/scx10. True many of them require a bit of finesse to fit, but it's a much better outlook then buying another cheap brand that has limited options.
Old 08-11-2017, 08:54 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev971 View Post
Thanks for the replies! I do have a stampeded so I already have a few lipos and a charger.

Where do you guys actually run your trucks? I guess my price point is so low because I'm not really sure if this type of RC is for me. I mean if I had access to some of the courses I've seen on youtube then hell yeah! Do you guys build your own courses? Just go out and find trails to crawl?

My stampede can be taken anywhere for a pretty good time. How true is that for a crawler?
My favorite spots to run my scx10II are hiking trails near where i live. Anywhere with rocks, mud, and streams are great places for trail trucks. Im sure there are acouple places like this where you live, for I live fairly close to the city of Chicago and there are 3 or 4 nice places near me.

For rig recommendations I would recomend something axial but since that is out of your price range Id say the ecx barrage. Ive never ran it but it looks quality for the price and I have seen decent reviews on youtube.

Last edited by Megalodon; 08-11-2017 at 08:57 PM.
Megalodon is offline   Reply With Quote

No clue where to start... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone have a clue? hotrodsonoma Chit Chat 6 01-14-2014 01:36 PM
had no clue where i might put this hende Chit Chat 4 09-06-2010 12:07 AM
I want to build an RC trail rig... but I have no clue where to start. Sine Deviance Newbie General 9 04-05-2010 10:58 PM
have no clue trev3813 Newbie General 9 07-02-2007 08:47 PM
Have no clue where to start... bosco01cherokee Newbie General 2 05-22-2006 02:13 PM