Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Newbie

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2017, 02:39 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Newbie

Newbie alert so please be gentle. Getting hooked with RC lately and I'm getting more interested with crawling. Looking to get SCX10 ii kit but will take some time to lurk around here and learn.
dCowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2017, 05:22 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Newbie

Welcome!! Also take a look at the Vaterra Ascender, it very competitive option! Cheers

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Chris81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:03 AM   #3

I love my scx10 2. Never got the kit but I love it anyways. Solid truck. Only problem was the trx4 came out like two months later lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
willydethblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:40 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

While the TX4 looks really cool, I watched multiple SCX10.2's and ascenders run circles around one yesterday. The body on that thing looked like a major weight/balance issue.
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 08:51 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftauto View Post
While the TX4 looks really cool, I watched multiple SCX10.2's and ascenders run circles around one yesterday. The body on that thing looked like a major weight/balance issue.
Well there are lots of scx10 that will run circles around scx10 II's and ascenders. A lot of that comes down to experience in tuning a rig and driving. Do not let that bias your decision.
Bodies are routinely changed, easily, for aesthetics or they flat out get trashed.

I would recommend that you look at the various platforms available and determine which one will provide you with the best starting platform for what you want. 2016/2017 has seen so many new scale rigs that it is completely overwhelming.

You going to buy one then find out that it isn't exactly what you want, and that's ok. For example I started with an scx10 and love it, but I fell in love with Leaf springs so now both my rigs have rear leafs.

But and and big but, sometimes my sons rigs kicks my ass, so my once 4.15" tires got changed to 4.45" and then got changes to 4.75" tires.
My 4.45" tire rig is now my 4.15" rig. On top of that I now have a third rig in the works with coils so I can drive a little more aggressive.

To compound that even more Friday I am ordering a 6x6, with a camera and heads up display for first person driving.

There are so many different styles of trucks , ways to drive them and terrain that crawling can be what ever you want.

All that being said buy something that has a compatible style with the people you plan on crawling with.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:01 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I don't disagree with you ditch. Just seems like the Ascender and SCX10II did better out of the box. The lockers, 2 spd, cruise control features on the TX4 were pretty cool. All it had was a new Castle brushless combo put into it. I absolutely recommend shopping around for what fits your style/needs.
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftauto View Post
I don't disagree with you ditch. Just seems like the Ascender and SCX10II did better out of the box. The lockers, 2 spd, cruise control features on the TX4 were pretty cool. All it had was a new Castle brushless combo put into it. I absolutely recommend shopping around for what fits your style/needs.
I think if people that have the money end up with either the ascender of scx10II. It seems the budget minded go with something else, unless they are looking for something different
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 12:17 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Thank you, people! I'm still open for other options. The Vaterra Ascender seems a good one as well.
dCowler is offline   Reply With Quote

Newbie - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie from MO Ghostrider304 Newbie General 3 11-22-2012 04:56 PM
Newbie Belfast Virginia 5 11-01-2012 08:25 PM
Newbie Here? dduddyjr Arizona 8 03-19-2011 12:05 AM
Old Newbie says hello and etc river rat Newbie General 0 07-20-2009 04:54 PM