Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: $200 (all in) budget crawler options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: $200 (all in) budget crawler options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
Yes I did see the Exceed had a cheaper base price, and Technically it and the HSP are the same truck as the Everest 10. But when you factor in shipping, the Everest 10 at shy of 150 or less with free shipping is still cheaper then the exceed with whatever NitroRCX is charging at the time for shipping. And then if you have issues Tower will try to take care of you.
or you can find one on eBay or Amazon ,maybe
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2017, 06:40 PM   #22
clm
Quarry Creeper

On ebay the price is a wash between the Everest 10 and the Maxstone more or less if you can catch a 149 and free shipping auction. But as they are the same truck mechanically go with the one you like the look of best... or just get the axle set for $60 and a trans for $15-20 from a kit breaker and build up
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Just an FYI the operation of model automobiles, IE rc trucks is prohibited in NY state parks, except in designated areas. (of which there are none)

9 NYCRR Section 377.1(b)
The following activities are prohibited on property under the jurisdiction, custody and control of the office, except in areas specifically designated therefor, during such hours or seasonal periods specifically authorized and subject to such conditions as may be contained herein.

(b) The engaging in toy or model boating or automobiling.
Eh. I've been using them there for years. Nobody has ever said a word. If you don't do something dumb like run nitro at midnight or chase deer with them, nobody cares.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 07:17 PM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
On ebay the price is a wash between the Everest 10 and the Maxstone more or less if you can catch a 149 and free shipping auction. But as they are the same truck mechanically go with the one you like the look of best... or just get the axle set for $60 and a trans for $15-20 from a kit breaker and build up
Probably a better option buying the exceed, 4 wheel steering, redcat doesn't
Old 08-17-2017, 07:25 PM   #25
clm
Quarry Creeper

Either one you get the servos will need replaced if you want adequate steering. The rear axle of the E10 is also set up for steering, it is just lacking the rear servo and a plate to mount it.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:19 PM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank211 View Post
Probably a better option buying the exceed, 4 wheel steering, redcat doesn't
The pictures of the exceed don't show 4 wheel steering. I think the HSP pangolin has 4ws standard, but neither the redcat nor exceed do.

The exceed does have bumpers, but I've read most people find they get caught on rocks and remove them.
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:23 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by moondaddy View Post
E10, I got one for my uncle for Christmas. He has been flogging it daily since and has only managed to break 2 body posts and a spur gear. Only mod done is a 27 turn silver can.
I'd guess even with a 27t motor it would still be quite a bit less than 10 mph. I bought a 35t for mine pretty early on...it made a huge difference compared to stock, but still was probably around 5 mph at top speed from what I can remember (just over fast walk speed).

Last edited by Smokin' Joe; 08-17-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-17-2017, 08:26 PM   #28
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin' Joe View Post
The pictures of the exceed don't show 4 wheel steering. I think the HSP pangolin has 4ws standard, but neither the redcat nor exceed do.

The exceed does have bumpers, but I've read most people find they get caught on rocks and remove them.
my bad I read 4ws not 4wd...
Old 08-17-2017, 08:38 PM   #29
clm
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I'd guess even with a 27t motor it would still be quite a bit less than 10 mph. I bought a 35t for mine pretty early on...it made a huge difference compared to stock, but still was probably around 5 mph at top speed from what I can remember (just over fast walk speed).
Which is still about the same speed as an axial scx10 as the gearing is identical. They are crawlers.. they go that fast
Old 08-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Look at this on eBay 1/10 Exceed RC MaxStone 4WD Brushed Electric Truck ROCK CRAWLER RTR
145 obo...
Old 08-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #31
Pebble Pounder

Or pay the extra $1 and get it from tower with more than likely faster free shipping
moondaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 04:45 AM   #32
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Which is still about the same speed as an axial scx10 as the gearing is identical. They are crawlers.. they go that fast
I agree...a top speed of 5 or 6 mph is perfectly adequate for a crawler, but the OP said in one of his posts he was looking for a vehicle that went around 10 mph.
Old 08-18-2017, 05:03 AM   #33
clm
Quarry Creeper

With a bit of pinion/spur changes and an adequate motor it will do 10... But wanting something that will both crawl and go at fairly high speed will be difficult at that price range. You also might think of the future of the vehicle, many of the other vehicles in that price range have limited upgrade and modification options. The Axial clones can quite literally be turned into anything an ax10/scx10 can be turned into, from foff to scaler to competitive crawler and on, the sky is the limit... and if you upgrade the electronics, it used standard 1/10 electronics unlike the Barrage so they could be moved to a newer better truck later on if you wanted to.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:03 AM   #34
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
With a bit of pinion/spur changes and an adequate motor it will do 10...
10 mph out of a truck with Axial-like gearing requires a 27T motor on 3S and gearing of around 30:1. A stock SCX10 Deadbolt will do 10 mph out of the box on 3S. That kind of top end on 2S would require a motor capable of much higher RPMs (enter brushless territory) or gearing that would kill the motor in a couple of packs.

Quote:
it used standard 1/10 electronics unlike the Barrage
The only thing not standard about the Barrage is the motor, everything else is normal 1/10 scale stuff.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:03 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
unlike the Barrage so they could be moved to a newer better truck later on if you wanted to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post

The only thing not standard about the Barrage is the motor, everything else is normal 1/10 scale stuff.
The transmission is certainly not 1/10, arguably the most import driver line feature.

The Barrage is like a pig with lipstick, sure you can fancy it up but it will never be a beauty queen. I've seen lots of thread about people joyfully buying a barrage, and generally see no reason to be negative.

But lets be realistic. It has a tiny little 380 motor in it, regardless of how you gear it, or power it you will never achieve the wheel speed to bump over things. If you do manage it then you have to deal with having less low end torque.

I watched someone with one at a G6 this year and they might as well had their foot permanently attached to the back end as that's where it was most of the time I watched. The truck had neither the wheel speed or the power to navigate many gates, and even when it did manage to make it up something it just flopped over it as it does not have the weight to get the wheels back on the ground.

I tried entering the whole crawler thing with a slickrock, basically the same drivetrain. Sure I got it to where it was a little spider monkey and it was capable enough on a rock pile, but past that pretty uneventful and uninteresting.

For someone that is clueless and doesn't know what they are missing I'm sure it holds a certain amount of fun or neat factor. But once you start playing with a rig closer to what is considered 1/10 the smaller less capable rigs are a let down.

It is a big NO, NO telling a person how to parent, so forgive me if I boarder on that. My son is my RC buddy, and it isn't right not providing him with a rig that is as capable as mine. The reason being is that it is simple not as fun when you run together to wait for another rig, or to have to explain that it is the truck that is failing not the skill of the kid driving(even if it is).

My son loves to take the same line as I do, even better if he can do it when I can not. It drives him and keeps him interested in Scale crawling.

I get the prioritizing money thing too. You should really consider the tower hobby 3 pay program. Get another good quality rig that is as capable as the bomber you got yourself, and in the long run it will cost you less money.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 08-18-2017 at 06:11 AM.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 06:23 AM   #36
clm
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
Eh, trans and axles including all their internals are 1/18 Losi mini crawler based, it has as much 1/10th stuff in it as my Losi Mini Crawler with it's 1/10th steering servo, Novak ESC, and receiver :/

The Barrage is interesting to me because it's based on the Mini Crawler and I love my Mini Crawler, but I would not call it based on a 1/10 scale platform. I have pondered picking one up though... mainly as I have a NIP Mip center driveshafts for a Mini Crawler... but that is a stupid reason ;)

But like Ditchrat says, if you have to, Tower 3 pay is a good way to get something closer to your main truck for your son and stretch out the payments a bit so they don't sting right a way.

Edit: But you said in your first post, you want it for a potential budget rc series on Youtube. I would still suggest an axial clone (e10/maxstone/hsp) there are more possible things you could do to one of those in a budget series then you could ever do with the Twin Hammers/clone just based on the massive sea of options for axial cars and the build thread ideas in this very forum for the axial ax10/scx10s. Even moreso I remember at one time Jang from URC had a car he converted into many different types of cars... you could do that with this one?

Last edited by clm; 08-18-2017 at 06:35 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:29 AM   #37

Quote:
I agree...a top speed of 5 or 6 mph is perfectly adequate for a crawler, but the OP said in one of his posts he was looking for a vehicle that went around 10 mph.
I'm not dead set on 10mph. I just want it fast enough that it's not holding us up on flatter sections of trail, and has enough wheel speed for climbing long loose grades.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:42 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
The transmission is certainly not 1/10, arguably the most import driver line feature.

The Barrage is like a pig with lipstick, sure you can fancy it up but it will never be a beauty queen. I've seen lots of thread about people joyfully buying a barrage, and generally see no reason to be negative.

But lets be realistic. It has a tiny little 380 motor in it, regardless of how you gear it, or power it you will never achieve the wheel speed to bump over things. If you do manage it then you have to deal with having less low end torque.

I watched someone with one at a G6 this year and they might as well had their foot permanently attached to the back end as that's where it was most of the time I watched. The truck had neither the wheel speed or the power to navigate many gates, and even when it did manage to make it up something it just flopped over it as it does not have the weight to get the wheels back on the ground.

I tried entering the whole crawler thing with a slickrock, basically the same drivetrain. Sure I got it to where it was a little spider monkey and it was capable enough on a rock pile, but past that pretty uneventful and uninteresting.

For someone that is clueless and doesn't know what they are missing I'm sure it holds a certain amount of fun or neat factor. But once you start playing with a rig closer to what is considered 1/10 the smaller less capable rigs are a let down.

It is a big NO, NO telling a person how to parent, so forgive me if I boarder on that. My son is my RC buddy, and it isn't right not providing him with a rig that is as capable as mine. The reason being is that it is simple not as fun when you run together to wait for another rig, or to have to explain that it is the truck that is failing not the skill of the kid driving(even if it is).

My son loves to take the same line as I do, even better if he can do it when I can not. It drives him and keeps him interested in Scale crawling.

I get the prioritizing money thing too. You should really consider the tower hobby 3 pay program. Get another good quality rig that is as capable as the bomber you got yourself, and in the long run it will cost you less money.
This line of thinking is along the lines of my approach. After I bought my Stampede 4x4, I bought my son a Circuit. I had a lot of suggestions for 1/18 scale stuff, but dismissed them because I wanted him to have a vehicle that worked where mine did. That said, I also bought something less expensive because his skill level meant that he wouldn't benefit from the added capability that a better vehicle offers. As he improved, I upgraded the Circuit, and 4 years later, he still likes it. I want to take a similar approach with his crawler. Like I mentioned earlier, I want something that's about the same size as my Bomber so we can navigate the same terrain, and something that can continue to be upgraded as his interest and skill level increases. This is why I don't want a Barrage, and why I came into this thread favoring the Twin Hammers clone, but am now favoring the Redcat, though I'm not done doing my homework.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:49 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I'm not dead set on 10mph. I just want it fast enough that it's not holding us up on flatter sections of trail, and has enough wheel speed for climbing long loose grades.
If you shoot for 5 or 6 mph, that is faster than you can walk and is very achievable for an Everest 10 on 2S with a different motor and perhaps slightly different gearing. I don't know much about your twin hammers clone, but I would be hesitant to buy something where you have to replace most of the electronics just to replace a servo.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:54 AM   #40
RCC Addict

If the redcat gen10 becomes available it would solve a lot of your needs/wants. Budget, same size as the bomber(more or less), should be as capable as a stock scx10(guessing from specs) and you'll be the kid on the block with the new toy, I'm sure that would get you some youtube hits and you can stay with the budget theme.

Good luck to you
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote

$200 (all in) budget crawler options? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What upgrades would you buy with a $200 budget for a stock yeti? monstersobe Axial Yeti 8 11-12-2014 10:13 AM
need advice, setup on budget 200$ nitrooxide Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 05-20-2012 12:58 AM
lwarc's budget fj instascaler($200) lwarc Tamiya XC/CC01 50 11-04-2009 05:04 PM