Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: $200 (all in) budget crawler options?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2017, 06:59 AM   #41
clm
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: $200 (all in) budget crawler options?

Hmm, just saw a picture for a "RGT RR-4" which appears to use the Everest 10 style driveline parts in an Axial bomber style truck.

RGT Racing RR-4 Electric Rc Car 4wd Off Road 1/10 Scale RC Rock Crawler_US Stock | eBay

Edit: Best of all, there are NO videos of it on ebay, found some info on it on these very forums though. Rgt rr-4

Edit2: Nope one video is on ebay under rgt rock hammer.

Last edited by clm; 08-18-2017 at 07:23 AM.
clm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2017, 07:04 AM   #42
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Like I mentioned earlier, I want something that's about the same size as my Bomber so we can navigate the same terrain, and something that can continue to be upgraded as his interest and skill level increases. This is why I don't want a Barrage, and why I came into this thread favoring the Twin Hammers clone, but am now favoring the Redcat, though I'm not done doing my homework.
If you want something similar in size to the Bomber, cross the TH clone off the list. They are tiny in comparison to something the size of the Bomber.

The Everest 10 or any of the AX10 clones is probably the way to go.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:54 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by svt923 View Post
If you want something similar in size to the Bomber, cross the TH clone off the list. They are tiny in comparison to something the size of the Bomber.

The Everest 10 or any of the AX10 clones is probably the way to go.
Yeah, I think the TH clone has fallen out of favor for a couple reasons. It's a hair on the small side, and the cheap electronics are a turn off. I think the Everest will give a better long term upgrade path too. Right now I'm liking the Everest or maybe the Gen7, except now they're saying Early October for the Gen7. It keeps moving back.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 08:08 AM   #44
clm
Quarry Creeper

Looks much closer to the Bomber stock, but still has all the same driveline components as the E10 and that forum link above says it is faster stock.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:17 AM   #45

It looks like a good possibility. Being faster will save me on a motor buy, and the better tires might save me on that front too. I also like the longer frame with the more vertical shocks. This should help with torque twist and will let me use more scale bodies. On the negative side, the axle wideners and slightly different axle components make me wonder if it's worth the extra money over the Everest. The best price I can find on Ebay is $65 above the Everest. It's a definite possibility.

Last edited by Jim85IROC; 08-18-2017 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 08:57 AM   #46
clm
Quarry Creeper

The housings are the same which means internals should still be more or less Axial compatible, and any internals that the E10 might need upgraded will likely need upgraded here as well.. and I can only find one video about it on youtube so you might be able to get more views being the first one into it.

It will likely need the same mods to increase steering as all the other versions.

My only real dislikes about the E10 are the crawler specific chassis and the smallish body. This swaps them out with a more scalish chassis and apparently a body that hinges up, and then tosses in some tires that look a bit more scale. Any weak c hub issue could be rectified with cheap off brand scx10 aluminum hubs.

Yeah, as for the price, it barely fits into your $200 price limit. But then again I don't value the main chassis of the E10 very highly as it is an older design and likely one of the first things that get replaced when modding an E10

Last edited by clm; 08-18-2017 at 09:04 AM.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #47

It barely fits into the price range, but it's already got a lot of the upgrades I wanted to do to the Redcat, so it might be a better option. In the long run it'll likely save me money.
Old 08-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #48
I wanna be Dave

The rock hammer looks like a nice rig and ya the worst part about the e10 is the chassie no adjustments at all and the suspention geomitry just sucks the exceed might be better i dont know my exceeds are different scales 1 1/5 and 1 1/18
It looks like the hsp has the best cbassie plates but there realy easy to make also i found a cc01 landfreeder fot a hair over 160 its more a scale truck and wont keep up with a bomber unless your a awsome driver lol but still a opion eBay Tamiya 1:10 CC-01 LandFreeder w/ESC EP 4WD RC Car Kit Off Road Truck #58579 | eBay
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 10:10 AM   #49
clm
Quarry Creeper

Hmm, I would think the cc-01 being even less capable crawling then the Barrage and clones. Best bet if you really wanted to go cc-01 length now days is a MST chassis that is cc-01 length to put the Tamiya body on.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #50
I wanna be Dave

If i remeber the berrage and the mst use 1/18 scale axles i have a mrc based scaler and a ta02 almost the same as a cc01 only 4 wheel independent syspention insted of a solid rear axle and a much lower slung chassie and my tao2 is just as capable as the as my mrc clone scaller so i would think the cco1 would be even better than my ta02 and from the vids ive seen they can be made to ke3p up with the scx10 but a bomber no way but alot cheaper alot of parts suport and are relitivly scale and wont need a bunch of upgrades to get started but ya the tamiya bodys will fit the mrc based clones realy good and also the tanka trucks are about that size aswell i have a tanka van project thats gona run the 1/18 mrc axles as soon as i find a killer deal on a set
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 02:56 PM   #51
clm
Quarry Creeper

Not sure about the axles as I have never handled one, but the MST kits use full sized 1/10 scale electronics unlike the Mini Crawler based ones. All but the CMX-W are more of a true 1/10 scale instead of the fudged closer to 1/9-1/8 scale of most of the other kits. Things seem to be given their listed scale based on chassis parts then body measurements, which is fine but makes true scale models seem small... kinda like the Twin Hammers in that pic up there.
Old 08-19-2017, 04:11 PM   #52
Pebble Pounder

I think it would be a good idea for you to consider something used like on ebay or a crawler forum classifieds section. I got a nice used Losi mini crawler that way.
sethstiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 08:26 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

Why not just buy a RTR second hand RR10 or SCX10.1?

They are cheap and reliable. Add affordable brushed electronics and you've got a great rig. The Bomber needs nothing at first and the SCX10.1 just a set of cheap homemade lower links which should keep you going for a while (until the plastic gearbox gears strip).
CoolRunning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 09:22 PM   #54
clm
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRunning View Post
Why not just buy a RTR second hand RR10 or SCX10.1?

They are cheap and reliable. Add affordable brushed electronics and you've got a great rig. The Bomber needs nothing at first and the SCX10.1 just a set of cheap homemade lower links which should keep you going for a while (until the plastic gearbox gears strip).
He is planning on doing a budget crawler series on ebay based on a sub $200 crawler with it as well as let his kid run it. While a cheap used scx10 would work, it would not necessarily be something his viewers could duplicate. If he starts with a new kit and keeps track of costs people can indeed replicate it.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:29 PM   #55
Pebble Pounder

i dont know if this has been said yet...i didnt want to read 3 pages of stuff.
buy a star or get 30 posts and get access to the for sale/want ads. spend your 200 or 180, and pick up a nice starter rig. you will have to replace a lot down the road depending how much you drive on a knock off rig. you can put one together pretty cheap that is capable of doing a lot of stuff.

thats just my 2 cents.
jason1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:42 PM   #56
Bpw

I scored a losi night crawler of eBay for 100 bucks. I had a hobywing esc laying around but there 65. Then I nabbed a novak 13.5t sensored brushless for 30 and the thing is a beast. Cheap tough, but not like your bomber. Just an idea the losi rig is cheap second hand and very capable with a better motor. IMO but I'm new to this so just an idea
Bpw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:16 AM   #57
clm
Quarry Creeper

I like the design of the Losi crawlers, but they are not so suited for scale trucks and scalers have gotten my attention recently...
Old 09-06-2017, 08:06 AM   #58

Hey guys, I just realized that I never updated this thread.

I ended up ordering a Redcat Gen7 Sport. It came in right at $200, so by the time I do a couple upgrades it'll be a bit over my original budget, but it pretty much checked all the right boxes for me. It was cheap, it's new, and all the buzz surrounding it will lend itself well to my plans for my youtube channel. I'm looking forward to getting it and my Bomber out on the trail to do some comparisons, and starting an upgrade series on the Gen7 for my channel. It should be a fun ride.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #59
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by clm View Post
He is planning on doing a budget crawler series on ebay based on a sub $200 crawler with it as well as let his kid run it. While a cheap used scx10 would work, it would not necessarily be something his viewers could duplicate. If he starts with a new kit and keeps track of costs people can indeed replicate it.

BUT, it would be a great video to do for "what to do when buying a used RC Crawler" or something along those lines. What to look for while browsing ebay, what to do when you get the truck and/if it is in worse shape than the seller stated. Where to start with Maintenance. Stuff like that.

I would agree about a used scx10 though. With the new SCX10 II out now people are unloading their gen 1 stuff for pretty cheap.
1fox2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Hey guys, I just realized that I never updated this thread.

I ended up ordering a Redcat Gen7 Sport. It came in right at $200, so by the time I do a couple upgrades it'll be a bit over my original budget, but it pretty much checked all the right boxes for me. It was cheap, it's new, and all the buzz surrounding it will lend itself well to my plans for my youtube channel. I'm looking forward to getting it and my Bomber out on the trail to do some comparisons, and starting an upgrade series on the Gen7 for my channel. It should be a fun ride.
Nice choice with the Gen7 Sport! I've been looking at those and they look great. I was looking at the pro version; love the tilt feature on the body, but thats a high price to pay for body tilt (which you could DIY), and some scale model items. I've been looking into one of those for my son.

I was originally going to say "go for the $145 Redcat Everest 10!" but the GEN7 while pushing your budget, was an excellent choice in my opinion. If I can get my Savage Flux HP sold off, I'll probably purchase one of the regular E10's for my son.
ren.dnb is offline   Reply With Quote

$200 (all in) budget crawler options? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What upgrades would you buy with a $200 budget for a stock yeti? monstersobe Axial Yeti 8 11-12-2014 10:13 AM
need advice, setup on budget 200$ nitrooxide Axial AX-10 Scorpion 20 05-20-2012 12:58 AM
lwarc's budget fj instascaler($200) lwarc Tamiya XC/CC01 50 11-04-2009 05:04 PM