Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Need Help with Bomber Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2017, 03:06 PM   #1

Default Need Help with Bomber Build

Ok guys....I need some help/advice as I am completely stuck. I am a newbie and this is my second build (completed a yeti last year with minimal "issues". Granite, I used a motor/esc combo from my LHS and it was basically plug-n-play). This bomber build has been going great up until i was ready to put the body on and noticed a few strange things.

1) I have a mamba Monster X ESC with a Holmes puller pro 540 XL 3500KV. It appears the Mamba is too big or sits too high and is now in the way of the battery. I have tried rotating, turning, etc.. with no luck! Is anyone running the Mamba successfully in this car? If so, how did you fit/install?
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

2) See two videos. First video- listen carefully to my servo (Hitec 7950TH) making a weird noise when nothing is being used. Then hear the noise when turning the wheels to either side? Second Video- when wheels turn to the one side they act like they are rubbing on something but they are not. Well they do if i turn all the way, but they start getting wobbly before they actually touch anything?
https://youtu.be/EgKFMCNhdsY

https://youtu.be/7ZSfNaIqoLw

3) This one is hard to see from the video but when i try to move the car frontwards or backwards, it is pretty difficult (compared to rolling my yeti back and forth). It almost feels like it stutters and is tight. I did put a piece of paper between the spur gear and motor pinion when installing.
https://youtu.be/RfqwOEx_eXI

4) Last question (i hope)- the servo horn is in the path of the front end so when come down on my front end, it looks like the front bumper will slam into the servo horn. Is that normal?
[IMG][/IMG]

Sorry for the many questions. I just have a good bit of money invested in this build and would hate to damage anything. Thanks again!
Digs1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-2017, 10:12 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Need Help with Bomber Build

1. How far to the rear can you move it? Can you turn it sideways and move it back?

2. I don't know why your servo chatters, but the horrible sound near full lock is because your servo is turning your tires to a greater angle than the maximum angle at which your driveshafts can still rotate smoothly. Set the endpoints on your servo.

3. This is because HH puller motors are a slotted 4 pole design, almost all 4 pole motors will exhibit this behavior, known as cogging.

4. With stock shocks this is completely normal.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:22 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

check the bomber threads. i know guys run the MMX in their bomber.i run the mambaX slightly smaller but very nice.

i know your new here so i wont torch you to bad....lol

use the search and read. i am pretty sure you will find what you need my friend. good luck.
jason1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 10:25 AM   #4
RCC Addict

1. Take off the top part of the Bomber cage and interior so that you can work the Mamba Monster X into position easier. I have mine stuck to the top of the receiver box without any interference. Just make sure you are able to plug your battery in. My first take before removing the cage and interior resulted in not being able to get to the battery plug on the MMX so I had to reposition.

2. Your servo is trying to find center, very common. some servos are worse/louder than others. Yes, you're reaching the maximum turning angle of the stock universal axles. When getting to this point, the rotation of the axles becomes jumpy like that.

3. Hard to tell but looks good. The Puller pro does take quite a bit of force to get turning without power.

4. If it's not hitting while you compress it all the way, you'll be fine. If it is hitting, you can space your servo back a hair or trim the bumper a little for clearance.
calcagno45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 11:35 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digs1111 View Post
Ok guys....I need some help/advice as I am completely stuck. I am a newbie and this is my second build (completed a yeti last year with minimal "issues". Granite, I used a motor/esc combo from my LHS and it was basically plug-n-play). This bomber build has been going great up until i was ready to put the body on and noticed a few strange things.

1) I have a mamba Monster X ESC with a Holmes puller pro 540 XL 3500KV. It appears the Mamba is too big or sits too high and is now in the way of the battery. I have tried rotating, turning, etc.. with no luck! Is anyone running the Mamba successfully in this car? If so, how did you fit/install?
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

2) See two videos. First video- listen carefully to my servo (Hitec 7950TH) making a weird noise when nothing is being used. Then hear the noise when turning the wheels to either side? Second Video- when wheels turn to the one side they act like they are rubbing on something but they are not. Well they do if i turn all the way, but they start getting wobbly before they actually touch anything?
https://youtu.be/EgKFMCNhdsY

https://youtu.be/7ZSfNaIqoLw

3) This one is hard to see from the video but when i try to move the car frontwards or backwards, it is pretty difficult (compared to rolling my yeti back and forth). It almost feels like it stutters and is tight. I did put a piece of paper between the spur gear and motor pinion when installing.
https://youtu.be/RfqwOEx_eXI

4) Last question (i hope)- the servo horn is in the path of the front end so when come down on my front end, it looks like the front bumper will slam into the servo horn. Is that normal?
[IMG][/IMG]

Sorry for the many questions. I just have a good bit of money invested in this build and would hate to damage anything. Thanks again!
Ok so like the others said for the servo its trying to fnd center, as far as the shudder in the front when turning is cause the sock axles are binding. As far as the esc I have the mamba x as well in my bomber and have in mounted sideways on receiver box, just slide it towards the back and line up the edges or let it hang a little make sure you you battery connector is pointed the way you want. any questions feel free to pm
raddad1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 08:44 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

So, have you fixed it yet?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #7

I know some (if not all) of those questions were amateur things, so thank you all for your help and advice.

I got the esc to fit. Not as clean looking as I would like, but it fits now. It's hanging off the receiver plate now, but should be ok.

Good to know that sound from the servo is normal. I have reading up on how to adjust all of the parameters through the transmitter. Had no idea there were sooo many options haha. I am getting an esc error that coded out to be a "radio glitch". I havnt figured out how to fix it yet but I am still working through all of the information I am learning with how to program/install a new esc to a transmitter.

Lastly, I am going to leave the front end alone for now. No way to move the servo back that I can see but if it becomes an issue I will cut the body a little.

Thanks again for your help!
Digs1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:40 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

You can Google "dewanger" to find a simple plate to move the servo back. This also helps lessen the angle of the drag link, which improves the efficiency and makes life easier for your servo.

Some servos, such as my promodeler, fit nicely with the stock mount flipped around and the servo ears mounted on the backside.

Moving the servo back on a bomber/Wraith is a big benefit for little investment IMO.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Need Help with Bomber Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Basic bomber build Jones Axial RR10 Bomber 4 02-28-2017 12:25 PM
Bomber Build Need Help CmdrSmushy Axial RR10 Bomber 7 12-27-2016 11:05 AM
Bomber Build bignheavy1007 Axial RR10 Bomber 4 09-28-2016 01:18 PM
Bomber Build bombardorphil@gmail. Axial RR10 Bomber 1 03-08-2016 10:58 AM
My Bomber build bredmx Axial RR10 Bomber 8 12-28-2015 11:51 AM