Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: HELP Moving away from RTR electronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2017, 08:16 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default HELP Moving away from RTR electronics

Hello, I've been modifying my scx10 JK for a few months, mainly cosmetic mods plus wheels, tyres shocks etc. I use my truck primarily for trail runs, fairly long drives of up to 8km at walking speed, I will have a go at any interesting lines as I drive but I'm not really that into full on crawling over heaps of rocks.

Speed isn't a huge issue and I'm happy enough with the top speed of the stock unit. Occasionally I feel like I could have a bit more wheel speed when trying to tackle a hill with a lot of loose dirt and small stones

I'm starting to wonder exactly what benefits I will see from changing the electronics (motor and esc) and also what order I can do them in. I guess I have a couple of questions.

QUESTION 1
Can I simply change out the motor for something else without doing any other modifications? I have the axial 27t. Given my use what would be a good starting point?

QUESTION 2
Is there any real need to swap out the esc? What doesn't it do that others do?

I appreciate there is a LOT of discussion on these topics but I haven't found a thread that I understand (I have virtually no understanding of motors esc's etc)

Thanks in advance.
Boostmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2017, 09:16 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: HELP Moving away from RTR electronics

Depends on budget.

For a brushed setup, go with the Hobby wing Quicrun WP 1080 ESC. Waterproof, has an awesome internal BEC to feed power to a good servo, super small footprint, and is silent, and it's only $42!!! If I had unlimited budget I'd still run it over anything else on the market right now. For a motor, go with the Traxxas Titan 550 21T, or the Holmes Trail master Sport 550. Cheap and great motors. Great low end control and good speed too.

If you can afford brushless, it's more efficient for trail runs for sure. Go with a Castle Mamba X and either one of their new Slate motors (2850kv) or a Holmes Puller Pro (2700kv). Lots of torque and they will take constant higher RPM's like a champ compared to a brushed setup. You won't need an external BEC with this fully waterproof setup either, as the Mamba X had an even better internal BEC.

Grab yourself a good servo while you're at it, either the Holmes HV500 (or SHV500, but you really don't need to spend the extra cash because both ESC's can easily handle a good servo), the new Promodeler, Spektrum S6280.

I run brushed because I don't need the power brushless provides, it's cheap, and it's silent. The Mamba X brushless setup has an electronic noise that drives me nuts personally, but most people don't care.

Good luck
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:54 AM   #3
RCC Addict

Does your jk have an ae2 or ae5 esc? Do you have a bec yet? If so, you could run 3s lipo on your stock motor to speed things up. But if you can stay out of water and mud, brushless may be a better option for such long hauls.

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 09-28-2017 at 08:10 AM. Reason: Added brushless option
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:06 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
Depends on budget.

For a brushed setup, go with the Hobby wing Quicrun WP 1080 ESC. Waterproof, has an awesome internal BEC to feed power to a good servo, super small footprint, and is silent, and it's only $42!!! If I had unlimited budget I'd still run it over anything else on the market right now. For a motor, go with the Traxxas Titan 550 21T, or the Holmes Trail master Sport 550. Cheap and great motors. Great low end control and good speed too.

If you can afford brushless, it's more efficient for trail runs for sure. Go with a Castle Mamba X and either one of their new Slate motors (2850kv) or a Holmes Puller Pro (2700kv). Lots of torque and they will take constant higher RPM's like a champ compared to a brushed setup. You won't need an external BEC with this fully waterproof setup either, as the Mamba X had an even better internal BEC.

Grab yourself a good servo while you're at it, either the Holmes HV500 (or SHV500, but you really don't need to spend the extra cash because both ESC's can easily handle a good servo), the new Promodeler, Spektrum S6280.

I run brushed because I don't need the power brushless provides, it's cheap, and it's silent. The Mamba X brushless setup has an electronic noise that drives me nuts personally, but most people don't care.
X2, but run with 3S.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote

HELP Moving away from RTR electronics - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving electronics Banjoblue Axial Wraith 8 06-07-2015 01:59 PM
moving electronics celt Axial SCX-10 9 07-02-2014 06:24 PM
Moving the electronics up front!! djmaincheese Axial Wraith 4 06-26-2013 06:48 PM
Moving Time! electronics locations devenaberger Axial SCX-10 11 02-03-2011 07:31 PM
Moving Electronics on Losi mrc rockcrawler150 Electronics 3 12-15-2009 08:58 AM