Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New to RC, Traxxas TRX4 best steering servo upgrade??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2018, 07:48 AM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New to RC, Traxxas TRX4 best steering servo upgrade??

I can overheat ANY esc...... wrong batt and /or gears.........won’t even mention the internal bec fighting the external bec wired wrong ......

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2018, 07:58 AM   #22
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
I can overheat ANY esc...... wrong batt and /or gears.........won’t even mention the internal bec fighting the external bec wired wrong ......

Hang up and Drive
These were straight out of the box with 3s LIPOs which is well within the ESC's spec. Furthermore if anything was mis-wired, it was from the factory. One user felt it was hot enough that it needed replacing; now with a wp-1080 it's ambient temperature. I suppose only time will tell whether the stock trx-4 ESC's suffer from AE5-itis. LOLZ
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:42 AM   #23

I'm not saying it's the case here, but Traxxas has a long history of 3S capable vehicles that can't actually handle 3S well. Pretty much every Velineon system they've made comes geared in a way that can make the motors spontaneously combust at the mere sight of a 3S battery. And then of course there's the driveshafts...
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 08:45 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I'm not saying it's the case here, but Traxxas has a long history of 3S capable vehicles that can't actually handle 3S well. Pretty much every Velineon system they've made comes geared in a way that can make the motors spontaneously combust at the mere sight of a 3S battery. And then of course there's the driveshafts...
I wonder how many people actually switched the pinion so it would have the correct pinion.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:26 AM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

WORD..........

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 09:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I wonder how many people actually switched the pinion so it would have the correct pinion.
On the TRX4 or the velineon vehicles? On the Velineon vehicles, at least the 4x4s, you can't. The Stampede comes with a 12t pinion. You can only go down to a 10, or maybe a 9 if you only want 1 tooth engaged, and even then you're pushing the temp limits on 2S, nevermind 3S.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 10:25 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yes. Add a hot day and you're guaranteed at least thermal shutdown if not ESC destruction. Slash 4x4 axle shafts that twist like candy canes? I"ve had them too.

Anywho, TRX4 steering servo is one of the weakest I've seen in an RTR, but I'm not mad about it, sell it and install proper servo with CCBEC and HH bypass harness.

Last edited by Natedog; 08-13-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #28
Pebble Pounder

I have run 3s for months no problem. I also have run with this servo and 3s with no external BEC and all works great! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XBS18YZ..._tN6i8CwFSxSQd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
subspd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #29
Quarry Creeper

3S killed our stock TRX4 esc after about 2 months. Its had a HW1060 that I had laying around since then. ESC doesnt even get warm now...though it is winter. Its on its 5th motor though....bloody titan 21s...

In the meantime though the stock servo has been fine. It works even better with the 1060...so much so, that it stripped the plastic horn.
thewildblue77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 07:47 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildblue77 View Post
3S killed our stock TRX4 esc after about 2 months. Its had a HW1060 that I had laying around since then. ESC doesnt even get warm now...though it is winter. Its on its 5th motor though....bloody titan 21s...

In the meantime though the stock servo has been fine. It works even better with the 1060...so much so, that it stripped the plastic horn.
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Can you tell us whether you were running the stock pinion or something smaller?
Old 02-03-2018, 02:30 AM   #31
RCC Addict

First upgrade after a test run was replacing the stock steering servo with a powerhd 20kg waterproof, difference like night and day to the stock one.
Worked great with stock esc and 3s over month, after putting weights to the front, brass portal covers and knuckle weights i mentioned that i need something stronger and i changed to a hh hv500 v2 with hh bypass adapter running it direct from 3s ( the v2 is capable 3s unofficially ) and it's a monster crazy fast, strong and silent.
I'm still using the stock electronic with no issues and stock gearing exclusively on 3s. (knock on wood )
I randomly check temps with a infrared thermometer and the motor was never over 50°C and the esc max measured temp was a liitle over 50°C normally under the motor temp (outside temp range from freezing under 0°C up to 30°C).
Also no issues so far with the driveshafts. Overall a great quality RTR.

in the trx-4 section u can find many discussions about over all replacements, upgrade options and what others have done to their TRex. Great inspiration to find there.

Last edited by magic_yeti; 02-03-2018 at 08:36 AM.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:30 AM   #32
RCC Addict

The SHV500v2 runs on 2s to 4s, not bypass needed since it has 2 wires, 1 for power and 1 for signal.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #33
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
2 users on this forum.
Do you own a TRX4?
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:39 PM   #34
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspector86 View Post
Do you own a TRX4?
No inspector... and could you please turn off the bright interrogation lights?! LOLZ

We have Axial Ax10 mutt, Scx10 OG Honcho, and Scx10 ii Cherokee RTR. I've been into hobby grade rc for 30 years and spent a fair bit of time racing.

Since I don't have the funds to own everything, I read a lot. My motto is "Learn from the mistakes of others; life's too short to make them all yourself!" Based on the knowledge I glean from my research, I try to help others as best I can. ;)
Old 02-26-2018, 07:33 PM   #35
Rock Stacker

For those of you that have upgraded your steering servo, do you know if you can still set the end points with the Traxxas Link module and app?
twentyniner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:55 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Thanks for sharing your experience with us. Can you tell us whether you were running the stock pinion or something smaller?
Stock pinion.

Think we may have found the cause to the dying motors. The Driveshafts out to the axles had seized..so when it was moving on its suspension it was loading the gearbox and the spur gear....hence why we found the spur gear chewed. Ive ordered some new ones as the old ones hardly move...even after a clean and some lube.
thewildblue77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 12:43 PM   #37
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by twentyniner View Post
For those of you that have upgraded your steering servo, do you know if you can still set the end points with the Traxxas Link module and app?
Not sure with the app or link but definitely over the TX, so i assume it should work with the app and module as well.
On the otherside what should prevent this ? Cause it's basically servo independent, the tx or rx don't know which servo they are hooked up.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote

New to RC, Traxxas TRX4 best steering servo upgrade?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering servo upgrade Smileythetrucker Axial Wraith 10 02-06-2017 01:20 AM
Steering Servo Upgrade? NORCAL SS Axial Wraith 11 03-06-2016 10:21 PM
Steering servo upgrade Nutternugz Colorado 8 05-25-2011 04:11 PM
steering servo upgrade Aaronn Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 17 12-26-2008 09:43 AM
Steering Servo Upgrade bustedcrawler Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 51 08-05-2004 01:17 PM