RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Newbie General (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/)
-   -   New to RC, Traxxas TRX4 best steering servo upgrade?? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/589386-new-rc-traxxas-trx4-best-steering-servo-upgrade.html)

BCortani 09-09-2017 06:00 AM

New to RC, Traxxas TRX4 best steering servo upgrade??

hi, new to this hobby. Good news is my wife is into it now too so better odds of improving what we have. Her rig is a Traxxas Slash 2wd (I have one too) and my crawler is a TRX4 (Literally arrives tomorrow). I have read/watched a lot of
reviews and the general consensus is the steering servo is the week point on the TRX4. What, in your experienced opinion, is a good upgrade? We live in PNW western Washington so have an abundance of beautiful river beds and trails along with mud and rain, so waterproof would be a must. Also, I would like to put a taller shock set on it to add a little more articulation, any suggestions there as well would be great. Tires are in the future, but from what I have read, the stock tires are pretty darn good. thanks, and glad to be here.

ElChupacabra 09-09-2017 09:13 AM

Re: New to RC, Traxxas TRX4 best steering servo upgrade??

First, the stock articulation is fine. Don't go chasing crazy articulation. It doesn't help the truck perform any better. It actually makes things worse. Second, yeah that servo should be thrown in the trash or used to replace the micro servo that shifts the transmission. I'd suggest something in the 400oz+ range. Hitec 7954, Savox 1230, Hitec 7980, Savox 2290. Any servo can pretty easily be waterproofed. There are a million threads about how to do that all over the boards.

clm 09-09-2017 09:27 AM

Stock steering servo works pretty good in a basher... just not in something trying to push around mountains when it is trying to steer.

spaceman5280 09-09-2017 01:14 PM

The old servo will be a great backup for your slashes.

I've had good luck with high torque, inexpensive servos like Power HD and Solar D772.

The stock TRX4 shocks are better than most RTR shocks and they offer the correct amount of articulation.

I agree that the stock tires are good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smokin' Joe 09-09-2017 04:05 PM

In terms of servos, I've had a good experience with my Promodeler 420 V4. It is strong, quiet, and durable. They have since upgraded it to the 470 which is a little more expensive ($100 vs $80 for the V4), but supposed to be even better.

Arctic Cat ZRT 09-09-2017 06:35 PM

I've narrowed it down to either the Savox 1230 or pro modeler V4 for crawler servos. Was gonna order the promodeler but my servo went out in my one rig today and I needed a replacement fast, local hobby store had a 1230 in stock so I just got that.

mikemcE 09-09-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arctic Cat ZRT (Post 5746989)
I've narrowed it down to either the Savox 1230 or pro modeler V4 for crawler servos. Was gonna order the promodeler but my servo went out in my one rig today and I needed a replacement fast, local hobby store had a 1230 in stock so I just got that.

The ProModeler 470 beats most hands down

Hang up and Drive

rm25x 09-10-2017 05:35 AM

Power HD 23 KG waterproof servo in mine. Works great, has lots of power and around $40.

Arctic Cat ZRT 09-10-2017 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikemcE (Post 5747010)
The ProModeler 470 beats most hands down

Hang up and Drive

When the 1230 kicks the bucket or I have another project I'll give it a try. Kinda disappointed I didn't get my hands on one to put in the Rock Rey. I'm not much for patience.

Motorider 09-14-2017 10:16 AM

another vote for the pro modeler 470. I think the holmes hobbies shv500 should also be considered. It is smaller, lighter, and more powerful with enough voltage. It also has the benefit of handling direct hookup to a 3s lipo. Some guys are even running 4s directly. I run one of each on 2 different rigs and I like each equally. If you are thinking about having to run an external BEC due to your choice of ESC, go for the Holmes. It will save you 20 or more on a castle BEC.

durok 09-14-2017 11:26 AM

Agreed, got one of each! Shv500 and 470... Both are awesome.

mikemcE 09-14-2017 11:42 AM

Just destroyed my HH , the PM 470 is in

Hang up and Drive

StomperCrawler 09-28-2017 07:33 AM

If you're poor, these 21kg (300oz) metal gear servos get pretty good reviews and are only $14 shipped from the USA:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...c&LH_PrefLoc=1

sappa 01-17-2018 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rm25x (Post 5747074)
Power HD 23 KG waterproof servo in mine. Works great, has lots of power and around $40.

Hello, this servo was my choice for replacing the stock one. I wanted to ask is it necessary to use external BEC or the build in with the stock ESC would be fine. I don't have any lights installed or winch or any other consumer of electricity. Thanks in advance.

subspd 01-18-2018 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sappa (Post 5789107)
Hello, this servo was my choice for replacing the stock one. I wanted to ask is it necessary to use external BEC or the build in with the stock ESC would be fine. I don't have any lights installed or winch or any other consumer of electricity. Thanks in advance.

Same question... with the Savox 1256 do you need a BEC with the stock ESC on the TRX4?

sappa 02-02-2018 02:37 AM

Please, some one with experience to give advice because I don't want to burn brand new electronics. Thanks in advance!

StomperCrawler 02-02-2018 04:49 AM

It's my understanding that the stock trx-4 ESC runs pretty warm with stock electronics. I'd definitely recommend an external BEC for any more powerful steering servo.

JatoTheRipper 02-02-2018 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StomperCrawler (Post 5796158)
It's my understanding that the stock trx-4 ESC runs pretty warm with stock electronics. I'd definitely recommend an external BEC for any more powerful steering servo.

Is this from the internet "experts" or from your own real world use?

StomperCrawler 02-02-2018 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper (Post 5796202)
Is this from the internet "experts" or from your own real world use?

2 users on this forum.

JatoTheRipper 02-02-2018 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StomperCrawler (Post 5796211)
2 users on this forum.

Two?! Two people have warm ESCs and suddenly it's a TRX-4 plague? Come on man. That's how bad info is spread.