Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Building first bomber kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2017, 01:52 AM   #1

Default Building first bomber kit

Hello everyone. I finally bit the bullet and purchased an rr10 bomber kit! I've owned a couple crawlers in the past but they were all ready to run so this will be my first crawler build. The only sorta upgrade I purchased with it was an rcscrewz stainless steel screw kit. I'm looking to see if anyone has any builders tips for the bomber build such as shock weights,gearing,etc. I know there's a ton on trial and error involved but any info would be greatly appreciated
brapskidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-2017, 08:36 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Building first bomber kit

Check the bomber thread
Mikeinsocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:14 AM   #3

Great choice!

The stock kit is great as-is. Picking up the stainless screw kit was a good idea because you don't have to deal with the stupid coarse threads of the Axial screws.

What electronics are you running? And what's your intended purpose with the Bomber?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:17 AM   #4

I've went through most of the bomber thread and didn't really see anything on shock setup. I'm thinking in running the tekin 35t fxr brushed setup. I'll be doing mostly trail running at slow speeds with no serious crawling. I will be running a 2500 3s lipo
Old 10-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #5

The stock setup is a good start for the shocks. Build them per the kit manual.

I rarely try to persuade people to go brushless in crawlers, but the Bomber should have a brushless motor and a Castle Mamba X series ESC. You say you don't want to go fast, but there's nothing better than crawling over some rocks, toggling the MMX ESC from crawler mode and into rock racer mode with the touch of a button on my transmitter, and then blasting down the trail and jumping over a root. I'd seriously contemplate the Castle Mamba X ESC and a Brood, Holmes, or Tekin motor.

If you insist on brushed that Tekin combo is great.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The stock setup is a good start for the shocks. Build them per the kit manual.

I rarely try to persuade people to go brushless in crawlers, but the Bomber should have a brushless motor and a Castle Mamba X series ESC. You say you don't want to go fast, but there's nothing better than crawling over some rocks, toggling the MMX ESC from crawler mode and into rock racer mode with the touch of a button on my transmitter, and then blasting down the trail and jumping over a root. I'd seriously contemplate the Castle Mamba X ESC and a Brood, Holmes, or Tekin motor.

If you insist on brushed that Tekin combo is great.
Thanks for the input. Now Correct me if im wrong but isnt that esc 1/8 scale? Seems a little much to me. What about the mamba monster pro 1/10, doesnt it have crawl mode as well?
Old 10-02-2017, 05:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brapskidoo View Post
Thanks for the input. Now Correct me if im wrong but isnt that esc 1/8 scale? Seems a little much to me. What about the mamba monster pro 1/10, doesnt it have crawl mode as well?
Mamba X is 1/10th scale. That's why I suggested it. The Mamba Monster X (MMX) is 1/8th scale. Apparently the Bomber is fine with the 1/10th scale version. I didn't know that when I bought mine.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2017, 09:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Mamba X is 1/10th scale. That's why I suggested it. The Mamba Monster X (MMX) is 1/8th scale. Apparently the Bomber is fine with the 1/10th scale version. I didn't know that when I bought mine.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Oh ok now will i need a castle link in order to program it for crawling or is it possible to program directly on the esc. Im using an m12s for a tx/rx and can program a ton of functions on that.
Old 10-02-2017, 11:36 PM   #9
RCC Addict

You can program a castle esc from the transmitter but it's an exercise in extreme patience & persistence about on par with trying to paint a river rock in 7ft of water.

There are more functions available to program from within the castle link & it's way way easier, though to be honest the only things I ever find I need to change are drag brake on/off & motor direction.
I just leave all the throttle & brake curves linear as they come.
altd896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by altd896 View Post
You can program a castle esc from the transmitter but it's an exercise in extreme patience & persistence about on
There are more functions available to program from within the castle link & it's way way easier, though to be honest the only things I ever find I need to change are drag brake on/off & motor direction.
I just leave all the throttle & brake curves linear as they come.
After doing some research I think I'm gona take ur advice and go with the mamba x with the 2200kv motor. I'll probably just run a 2s lipo but I'm not sure where that will put me with gear
Old 10-03-2017, 06:34 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brapskidoo View Post
After doing some research I think I'm gona take ur advice and go with the mamba x with the 2200kv motor. I'll probably just run a 2s lipo but I'm not sure where that will put me with gear
Be careful going with the 2200kV. That's too low IMO. You won't get any speed out of it. With the higher kv motors you can gear it down. You can't gear the 2200kv motor up enough to get speed without it getting too hot. I'd suggest the 3100kv unless you really and only want crawling speeds.
Old 10-03-2017, 07:32 AM   #12

I just went from a 2200 to a 2850, although I haven't run the 2850 yet. The 2200 was too slow on 2S, though I think it would have been much better on 3S. I didn't try it because my previous ESC is iffy on 3S, and I didn't feel like taking the truck apart more than I have to, so swapping just the esc, then swapping the motor wasn't going to cut it.

That said, there's only so much gearing down you can do. The truck comes with a 12 tooth pinion. You're only really going to be able to go down about 2 teeth. You can flip the trans gears to gear it a little bit further. There's only one higher tooth count spur gear available (and it's expensive because it's steel), so you're kind of limited there too.

I went with the 2850, and I have a feeling that I'm going to wind up running more 2S than 3S until I can tweak my throttle curves to give me the low speed resolution that I want.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 07:58 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

You can also run underdrive Axial HD ring and pinion sets in the axles to gear down lower. They mesh together better anyway.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:34 PM   #14

Great info guys keep it up! Im gona see if I can find a 2850 becuase that does sound like the perfect kv for me. I may end up running 3s with an 11t pinion and stock plastic spur to have a cheap breakpoint in the drive line after i upgrade the driveshafts
Old 10-03-2017, 06:51 PM   #15

I ran my 2850 tonight and I'm sold. Still kinda slow on 2s, but still VERY usable, especially for trailing and crawling. On 3s it's as fast as I'll ever need. I'm running an 11 tooth pinion with otherwise stock gearing. I think you'll be happy with 2850.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote

Building first bomber kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Just got a bomber and building it for u4 rocklicker Axial RR10 Bomber 31 08-05-2016 08:30 AM
Bomber Kit Building kkipp9 Axial RR10 Bomber 2 07-14-2016 12:25 AM
So I was building my new TH kit and.... RABIDFOX Vaterra Twin Hammers 1 05-09-2015 08:24 PM
New to kit building jeep95 Axial SCX-10 13 11-04-2013 09:46 AM