Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: New savox 1231, how do i know if i need voltage regulator?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2017, 06:22 PM   #1

Default New savox 1231, how do i know if i need voltage regulator?

Diggen my new rr10, broke stock steer servo on 3rd charge , (3cell, and pitbulls only mods)
I have a new savox 1231, what do i need to properly power this, what are the specs i need to pay attention to? Advise for a newbie please and thank you!
Snakeob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2017, 06:38 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: New savox 1231, how do i know if i need voltage regulator?

External BEC, and don't put more then 6.0 volts through it, my experience is they don't like it and get hot.

PS. get over the noise, there is nothing you can do about it. It's a Savox thing.

I run these in 5 out of 6 rigs. Can't beat the price.
lzysmrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 06:50 PM   #3

Thank you, was hoping for some product spacific advise, i did also get a castle bec, wassnt sure it was compatible w the rest of the stock rr10 stuff,
My other question is how do i know or control voltage?
Old 10-10-2017, 08:41 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

What's up man and congrats on the new servo... to answer your question, you will need to look up the voltage specs on the servo to find out what it can take.(pretty easy) In order to change(increase or decrease) the amount of power that goes to it, you can take it to your local hobby shop and they can do it, or you can step up your game and purchase a castle link USB programmer. http://www.castlecreations.com/en/ac...it-011-0119-00
This is also pretty simple and totally worth the $20. Hope this helps, and good luck!!!

-Cheers,
NASTYMAN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nastyman211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:51 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Also, be sure to read the Castle documentation on how to wire it all up properly. If I remember correctly, you have to disconnect the red wire coming from your ESC.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 08:56 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Stomper is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nastyman211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 10:27 PM   #7

Link usb interface , awesome got it, all very helpfull.
I put my bec on just now, ( i did cut red wire,) batt is on charge now, i did test , all seems to funtion proper, im excited to run it tomorow.
Any rough idea where im at for voltage out of the box w this set up? Thanks again,
Old 10-11-2017, 12:43 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakeob View Post
Link usb interface , awesome got it, all very helpfull.
I put my bec on just now, ( i did cut red wire,) batt is on charge now, i did test , all seems to funtion proper, im excited to run it tomorow.
Any rough idea where im at for voltage out of the box w this set up? Thanks again,
If you're asking the about the default voltage of the CC BEC then it is 5.X volts. Definitely less than 6.0V. That's why for the vast majority of servos, you will need to use a castle link to increase the voltage.
maverick67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:48 AM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Any rough idea where im at for voltage out of the box w this set up?
Default is 5.1v but I'd check it with a multimeter or Castle USB Link before wiring it up since 9v could kill your other electronics. ;)
Old 10-11-2017, 07:42 AM   #10

Talking Re: New savox 1231, how do i know if i need voltage regulator?

So... i did the instal and pluged batt in, did a very shor test, like less than 20ft, no wot, acted like lipo cut off, ok easy to believe low batt, go to charge said batt, ( less than 10 charges 3 cell) and charger saying ballance connect issuse and wont charge, all pins straight and present. Could i have killed this batt with this bec install? Plannin on at least testing w a volt meter before i try again, do i test on main + and -? Was also gettin flashing red on speed control and solid green on bec, this batt has had a rough life , (puppy got a hold of it for a min, i do know that is very dangourous and scolded myself accordingly lol, ) long and short, since i probably need a bat, ill get the usb link too, you guys have been awesome and are helping me quite alot, thanks again!
Old 10-11-2017, 07:48 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
So... i did the instal and pluged batt in, did a very shor test, like less than 20ft, no wot, acted like lipo cut off, ok easy to believe low batt, go to charge said batt, ( less than 10 charges 3 cell) and charger saying ballance connect issuse and wont charge, all pins straight and present. Could i have killed this batt with this bec install? Plannin on at least testing w a volt meter before i try again, do i test on main + and -? Was also gettin flashing red on speed control and solid green on bec, this batt has had a rough life , (puppy got a hold of it for a min, i do know that is very dangourous and scolded myself accordingly lol, ) long and short, since i probably need a bat, ill get the usb link too, you guys have been awesome and are helping me quite alot, thanks again!
- and + will tell you overall voltage which should be about 11.1v but you can use the balance port to check individual cells which should be about 3.7v each.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:13 AM   #12

Ok, that should be overall voltage i get that, can i see what the bec is doing for output with out the usb link ?
Old 10-11-2017, 11:56 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Ok, that should be overall voltage i get that, can i see what the bec is doing for output with out the usb link ?
Sorry, yes of course. Just hook up only the bec to the battery and then check the output wires with the multimeter.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:14 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Don't remove or cut esc red wire, just use Holmes Hobbies HH RX BYPASS ADAPTER, much better way to set it up.
Product SKU: 250100008
Add some BEC power to your servo without routing through the RX
RX Bypass Adapter - Wiring & Wiring Accessories - Electronics & Wiring
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 01:44 PM   #15

Dang, i would have grabed up that pigtail but i already cut the red, oh well , this still by far the most responsive and legit forum ive been involved with, . Worth butt sodering back together and getting that?

Just as suspected my battery is bad, checked at ballance port, one cell 3.6, other 2 cells both over 7,
So i guess those cells are somehow making contact internally? (cannot be balance charged) makes sence i think........ Ordered new battery, and castle link, never "tuned " an r/c before, im stoked for it to get here and see what thats about. Ill try to wrap this thread up when it arrives and summarize what i leared in regaurds to the original post,( i tend to vere off point sorry)

Last edited by THX_138; 10-12-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:45 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Just as suspected my battery is bad, checked at ballance port, one cell 3.6, other 2 cells both over 7,
So i guess those cells are somehow making contact internally? (cannot be balance charged) makes sence i think........ Ordered new battery, and castle link, never "tuned " an r/c before, im stoked for it to get here and see what thats about. Ill try to wrap this thread up when it arrives and summarize what i leared in regaurds to the original post,( i tend to vere off point sorry)
That's weird. I've never heard of that. I think your battery may be OK. Please double check it like the guy in this video does (start at 3:30 minutes to skip their yammering): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nSB3ES0ONb4
Old 10-12-2017, 10:09 AM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Dang, i would have grabed up that pigtail but i already cut the red, oh well , this still by far the most responsive and legit forum ive been involved with, . Worth butt sodering back together and getting that?
I mean this in a positive way, please read up more before cutting anything, could have removed the wire from the plug. The HH harness sends voltage only to the servo (not to rx), maintains common ground among all components. What esc is it? Could replace it with Hobbywing WP1080 or carefully solder it back and remove it from the plug.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:00 PM   #18

Yes thank you, i should have done some more digging before i cut that wire, no biggie, , im still running the stock axial esc and motor. Brushless is in the plan but not yet.

Stomper crawler, thanks that link helped, i was tesing incorectly, unfortantly i was still right, i have a dead cell, only 7.4v total (3s) and defantley a dead cell, also puffex out a bit. I am at least for sure now , Thanks

Last edited by THX_138; 02-02-2019 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 08:18 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Stomper crawler, thanks that link helped, i was tesing incorectly, unfortantly i was still right, i have a dead cell, only 7.4v total (3s) and defantley a dead cell, also puffex out a bit. I am at least for sure now , Thanks
Sorry to hear it. :( I hate it when that happens!

New savox 1231, how do i know if i need voltage regulator? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
voltage regulator arevir Electronics 6 02-05-2017 08:03 PM
voltage regulator 5150EVH Electronics 2 11-22-2012 04:45 PM
Voltage regulator Docwolf Redcat Crawlers 3 04-11-2012 06:39 PM
voltage regulator help idahorock Newbie General 3 12-13-2007 10:25 AM
voltage regulator? WKKILLER Electronics 8 11-04-2007 08:53 AM