Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10ii or Wraith?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2017, 11:09 AM   #1

Default Axial SCX10ii or Wraith?

Hey folks,

New to the RC world, been doing some research the last couple weeks. I'm heavily leaning towards the scx10ii, but the wraith peaks my interest as well. Not sure which one I should go with. I like the ability to modify many aspects of the scx thats why im leaning towards that, but the wraith with bigger tires and wider stance seems like it may be better from a performance aspect. I don't plan on entering competitions or anything like that...just purely a hobbyist that likes to wrench on stuff and will play in the back yard and maybe on some hiking trails. Any of your guys/gals advice is much appreciated!

- Dave
Bliss_RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2017, 11:32 AM   #2

Default Re: Axial SCX10ii or Wraith?

Do you run with anybody else? If so get what they run.

1.9 is for more mild terrain. 2.2 can handle more aggressive terrain. For walking trails you'd be better off with a 1.9.

If you are looking at the Wraith I'd suggest checking out the Bomber kit. The Bomber kit is Axial's best value. It's the strongest, most durable kit out of the box and it really doesn't need any upgrades. And it's what the Wraith should have been IMHO.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:47 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Do you run with anybody else? If so get what they run.

1.9 is for more mild terrain. 2.2 can handle more aggressive terrain. For walking trails you'd be better off with a 1.9.

If you are looking at the Wraith I'd suggest checking out the Bomber kit. The Bomber kit is Axial's best value. It's the strongest, most durable kit out of the box and it really doesn't need any upgrades. And it's what the Wraith should have been IMHO.
I second the bomber kit. I run mine on trails so it really isn't challenged that much, but it is still fun. Bought mine RTR, wish I'd bought the kit (electronics are trash, except for radio and motor.)

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The SCX10 II will be easier to work on. Working on Wraiths (or Bombers) is more time consuming because of the cage.

But like Jato said, it will be more fun if you have a comparable rig to the other people you run with. The larger 2.2 tires that come on the Wraiths and Bombers make most obstacles much easier than the smaller tires that most run on SCX10 IIs. Bouncing right up obstacles everyone else is struggling with will be fun for a little bit but it will get old. Same thing if you cant make it up most of the things they can.
Col_Sanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #5

Good input guys, thanks. As of right now I'm solo but I have a buddy who is thinking about picking one up as well. I did see the bomber too, that thing does look pretty cool.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

For a new guy to RC, between the Wraith and SCX10, I recommend the SCX10. Without the perfect gearing on a brushed motor, or a pricey sensored brushless motor, the Wraith has a tendency to cook motors and ESCs. The SCX10 is more new-guy friendly. Never owned a Bomber, but the people I know that have them really like it.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:04 PM   #7
RCC Addict

I got bored with my Bomber, and it frustrates me to no end. It is such a cool truck, so versatile, but it just wasn't for me. I have found my niche in scale 1.9 trucks, I prefer to go slower and just marvel at how the suspension reacts and challenge myself with climbing up obstacles. Having said that, I thought I'd REALLY like the Bomber before I bought it, and to this day am still disappointed that it wasn't for me. What I'm getting at is you need to think about HOW you want to run, and WHERE you are going to run.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 01:31 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I bought a Wraith and wish I'd gotten a more scale, 1.9 rig. Don't get me wrong, I love the wraith, but once you do some upgrades it becomes too capable to be fun for trailing. And most guys I ride with have 1.9s...
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:26 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSXGMC View Post
I got bored with my Bomber, and it frustrates me to no end. It is such a cool truck, so versatile, but it just wasn't for me. I have found my niche in scale 1.9 trucks, I prefer to go slower and just marvel at how the suspension reacts and challenge myself with climbing up obstacles. Having said that, I thought I'd REALLY like the Bomber before I bought it, and to this day am still disappointed that it wasn't for me. What I'm getting at is you need to think about HOW you want to run, and WHERE you are going to run.
Wow, this really hits the nail on the head to me. This is exactly how things shake down between my Bomber and my SCX10 and why I spend more time wheeling the 1.9 tires over the 2.2.

A few years ago I used to own a Wraith. Like someone else mentioned a few posts ago, it didn't take long for me to burn out the stock motor from trying to use it to crawl among the rocks on a dry riverbed. What eventually led me to chose the SCX10 over the Wraith (and why I prefer it over the Bomber) is that it's more of a challenge to drive in the spots I use. On lines that I would have to carefully pick my way with the SCX10, I could just recklessly blast through with the Wraith.

Last edited by colbynobo; 12-08-2017 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Wrong word in sentence #4
colbynobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss_RC View Post
Hey folks,

New to the RC world, been doing some research the last couple weeks. I'm heavily leaning towards the scx10ii, but the wraith peaks my interest as well. Not sure which one I should go with. I like the ability to modify many aspects of the scx thats why im leaning towards that, but the wraith with bigger tires and wider stance seems like it may be better from a performance aspect. I don't plan on entering competitions or anything like that...just purely a hobbyist that likes to wrench on stuff and will play in the back yard and maybe on some hiking trails. Any of your guys/gals advice is much appreciated!

- Dave

If you like high speed bashing and crawling Wraith will never let you down, served me almost 3 years and I am still very happy with Wraith. Now I am in the middle working my scx10 ii kit for technical slow crawling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 10:35 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Another vote for the Scx10 ii. ;)
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 06:36 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
If only the OP likes slow crawler
My Scx10 ii with 1.9" tires, stock gearing, 35t motor, and 3s lipo moves faster than my kids! =P
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:11 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Also, the wraith is made with low strength plastics and plastic links, so yes, the bomber is a better value. Although I have both a wraith and SCX10 II and the SCX10 II is my most durable rig.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThatJeeper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:47 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

You can always convert a Wraith to 1.9 if you find it's too capable. I love 1.9 Wraiths. I think it's how they should've come from the factory...

ElChupacabra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 08:11 AM   #15
RCC Addict

go SCX2 , the wraith as was mentioned is a pain to work on, plus the axles get hung up on everything. If you want a wider stance just install 12mm extensions to the axles on the 2
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Also - the Wraith is one of Axial's oldest designs, the SCX10 II has been recently revised - I'd say you get much more for your money.

You can choose from a huge variety of bodyshells after you destroy the one it comes with and the wheelbase is adjustable, whereas the Wraith is somewhat limited there...

If you really want 2.2" size wheels and more of a rock racer than a scaler/crawler/trail rig you'd be better off with a Bomber than a Wraith, IMHO.

I'm not biased against the Wraith - I'd like to see Axial release an updated version sometime soon, but they are seeming to be currently focused on more versions of the SCX10 II...

Last edited by durok; 12-10-2017 at 10:48 AM.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:45 AM   #17

Well guys, I ended up getting a bomber. I found that it was on sale on towerhobbies.com so i picked one up with a 3s lipo battery and charger. I also already purchased stainless steel suspension and steering links, aluminum trailing arms, and an auminum servo horn from vanquish because i dont like that all the stock parts are plastic. The reason I went with the bomber is because I see myself wanting to do both rock crawling and high speed bashing. I know its not set up this way from the factory, but I figure over time I can change out the motor, esc, and steering servo to make it exactly how I want it to be. I want one rig to be pretty much capable of whatever I want to throw at it. I don't plan on owning multiple rc's....at least not yet haha
Old 12-13-2017, 09:48 AM   #18
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss_RC View Post
Well guys, I ended up getting a bomber. I found that it was on sale on towerhobbies.com so i picked one up with a 3s lipo battery and charger. I also already purchased stainless steel suspension and steering links, aluminum trailing arms, and an auminum servo horn from vanquish because i dont like that all the stock parts are plastic. The reason I went with the bomber is because I see myself wanting to do both rock crawling and high speed bashing. I know its not set up this way from the factory, but I figure over time I can change out the motor, esc, and steering servo to make it exactly how I want it to be. I want one rig to be pretty much capable of whatever I want to throw at it. I don't plan on owning multiple rc's....at least not yet haha
Be gentle with the servo, or that'll be the first upgrade you need. I run the ProModeler S470 in my bomber, great servo.

MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:49 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
You can always convert a Wraith to 1.9 if you find it's too capable. I love 1.9 Wraiths. I think it's how they should've come from the factory...

Clean. Thats all I got.
Correll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:10 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
Be gentle with the servo, or that'll be the first upgrade you need. I run the ProModeler S470 in my bomber, great servo.

thanks, yeah i figured the servo will be the next upgrade.

Axial SCX10ii or Wraith? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buttery Smooth! Axial SCX10II Bleeded Shock Mod - A Must Do all SCX10II joerc2013 Axial SCX10 II 58 07-13-2020 09:44 AM
Axial SCX10II and Vanquish Products Hodortime Newbie General 4 12-23-2016 12:04 PM