Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Exceed maxstone gear question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2017, 06:09 PM   #1

Default Exceed maxstone gear question

I have the maxstone 1/8 with plastic gears. The maxstone 1/5 has metal gears and I believe the axles and motors and everything are the same. Does anyone know if I could just get the replacement gears for the 1/5 to upgrade mine to metal gears?
Tweeter46and2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #2

Default Re: Exceed maxstone gear question

Tried to upload a photo of some gears on integy for I rock that I read will work but photobucket and my iPhone are not cooperating. I also read that these gears are tight and make noise. At 45.99$ I'd hate to get them and not work good. Any thoughts on upgrade for these gears would be appreciated. I am a complete noob. Just got this maxstone as my first rc and keep hearing the gears won't last and don't want to keep replacing with plastic once they go.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:05 AM   #3
RCC Addict

For help with posting pics, use Tapatalk. Concering the maxstone 8, I couldn't find much:

Exceed Maxstone 8

Looks like you might be better off selling it and buying a Gen7 for $200-300 (new, shipped). I recently saw them for $146 on Tower Hobbies during their black Friday sale.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 04:49 AM   #4

Thanks for looking.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:04 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

I have the maxstone 5 the maxstone 8 and 5 use the same gear box the gears are differnt ratios though but they do swap you can use.the 1/5 grears in the 8th box and vice versa i have the integy gears for it the gears are fine but the shafts suck i upgraded the shafts to yeti xl shafts they do work but they ate the aluminum locker built in to the integy gears in the first run im gona make a steal locker set up someday but honestly ther3 alot of work to make a decent axle i spent alot of money trying to make the maxstone moa axles work and just got frustrated there a step above a toy but still there fun im gona rebuild the maxstone 5 someday i love looking at it its just way down on the list or rigs to rebuild

Like homeboy sead get something else thats not a good rig for anything other than seeing if you like the hobby if you do decide to keep it and run it get some extra sets of gears and axle shafts and be prepared to change them alot

Last edited by ferp420; 12-06-2017 at 09:15 AM.
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 09:13 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

The maxstone 10 is the same as the redcat everest 10 and there are a few others out there that are basicily axial ax10 clones and they hold up realy well I also have a ms16 basicly a losi mini crawler clone and its been very reliable the max stone moa axles suck
Old 12-06-2017, 09:53 AM   #7

Thanks for the info, that helps. This is my first decent rc and I got it to play with my son who really too young to get anything better just yet. Thus far I love the maxstone although I haven't got to use it much. I actually got 2 years worth of insurance for cheap. Just trying to think ahead to see what others have done.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:59 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweeter46and2 View Post
I actually got 2 years worth of insurance for cheap.
Sorry, I don't follow. Maybe autocomplete strikes again? Or maybe I'm just tired. LOLZ
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 10:15 AM   #9

Do you have some advice for a better battery that would work without having to change anything else. I've read different opinions that some better batteries s will tear up the esc.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:17 AM   #10

I got it through amazon and for 30 some dollars extra they will fix anything that breaks for two years.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:20 AM   #11

Insurance wasn't the best term. I guess it's a protection plan.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:36 AM   #12

So if I used the gears for the 1/5 it would make mine slower but with more torque and probably make it more likely to break something else? Also when you changed your gears to the integy you had to change axles because of that or that was unrelated?
Old 12-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I think the maxstone 5 has lower gears to make up for the bigger tires but seing as how you have the protection plan i would stick to stock parts or they might void your warrenty i havent changed my axles yet i robed them for a 5th scale wraith build and the axles just arent strong enuff for a heavy metal chassie hence why im gona rebuild the maxstone and get new axles for the giant wraith i would stick to a 2s lipo battery a 3s will shread your parts and keep it as stock as posable buy a different rig if you feel you want more the metal gears fit with out mods in the stock maxstone axle housings my issue was the aluminum the gears are made from arent strong enuff for my application the thing to remeber is this is a entry leval rc end of story if your breaking it step up to a better rig dont try to upgrade this one unless your realy board and enjoy fabricating and spending money for junk that needs modefied and then might be close to maybe as strong as a higher quality rig but probably not trying to make the max stone moa axles reliable cost me more than the maxstone 5 as a whole and its still junk it still needs alot of resurch and development still needs more money still a blackhole of a rc but i realy like to look at it its so fugly in its styling i dont think ive ever seen anything like it that i just have to keep it so someday its gona be rebuilt also i have like 15 or 20 rc cars so when its broken no big deal i just grab a different rig and have at it and i have alot of parts to mix and match to see what works and what dosentso just enjoy it for what it is then move on to a real rc
Old 12-06-2017, 12:28 PM   #14

Alright, thanks. I just thought a longer run time would be nice and was wondering if metal gears was doable. I will leave it stock and replace parts as needed. I think it performs really well for the price so I can't complain with anything.
Old 12-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

A 2s lipo should give you longer run times depending on the mah rating a higher rating will last longer and you can use the metal gears but i wouldent untill your warrenty is up but thats $100 that you could spend on a better rc and i dont think that there that much stronger than the plastic i would step up to a 2s 5000mah battery and leave the rest of the rig bone stock and save up for something with aftermarket suport even the maxstone 10 would be a upgrade even though its smaller it will hold up way better and can be easily modded with axial scx10/ax10 parts
Old 12-07-2017, 01:24 PM   #16

So the 2s lips will work with the stock esc? And will that battery add more power in anyway that could make it more likely to break something? Or is there a higher milliamp ni mh available. Thanks again for the info. If I could squeeze in one more question, any thoughts on cutting the tire foam? Tires seem like they would perform better if they were softer but I've read different thoughts and I can't seem to find replacements if I mess them up.

Exceed maxstone gear question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Exceed maxstone 16 DENNO General Crawlers 7 09-10-2014 07:23 PM
Exceed Maxstone 1/8 josh h Newbie General 5 05-17-2013 05:40 PM
my new exceed maxstone 10 davidyack Newbie General 5 06-24-2012 11:48 PM
exceed maxstone 10 question davidyack Newbie General 16 12-14-2011 06:52 AM