Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Which transmitter do you use?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 08:54 PM   #1

Default Which transmitter do you use?

Hey guys, I want to know what kind of transmitter you guys are using. I've fly planes and have been for a while. I purchased a SCX10 II and I'm using my Taranis Q X7.
I'm curious to see if anyone else is using a different type of transmitter.

Last edited by Hayden88; 01-09-2018 at 08:58 PM.
Hayden88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2018, 09:44 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Which transmitter do you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayden88 View Post
Hey guys, I want to know what kind of transmitter you guys are using. I've fly planes and have been for a while. I purchased a SCX10 II and I'm using my Taranis Q X7.
I'm curious to see if anyone else is using a different type of transmitter.
Most people run pistol grip radios for crawlers.

I'm running a few Tactic radios that are included in Axial or ARRMA RTRs, but my main radio is a Futaba 4PLS. I am probably going to be switching over to a Spektrum DX5R before too long.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:56 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Firmware-hacked & hardware-modded 99-model 8-channel $40 Flysky GT3B.

Adding: GT3B Hack Question and Answer Thread
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:57 PM   #4

Why switch to spectrum, isnt futaba 4pls a better radio? A lot of people are telling me this
Hayden88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:58 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

I have a few fly sky fs-gt3b's for my crawlers and I just ordered two magideal tg3's for my other rcs which looks like spectrum ripoffs. But they haven't shown up yet
Neil2704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:34 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I've been running hacked gt3bs since the firmware was released almost 8 years ago with no problems.
They have up to 8 channels, the 3,6, and 8 channel receivers are very inexpensive and easy to find.
Almost any button can be mapped to any channel. The buttons can act as 2 position, 3 position, long press, momentary, multi position step rate (in any order) and there are mixing options for 4 wheel steering and dual ESCs.
I'm sure there's more than I'm forgetting, but once hacked these $35 radios offer more than even the expensive radios

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:15 AM   #7

I run a bunch of the cheaper FlySky radios, and I've also got a couple of the Radiolink RC3S/RC4G radios, and a pile of the RTR radios of various kinds. I'm really a big fan of the Radiolink radios, but I've been wanting to try a hacked Flysky for a while now.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:31 AM   #8
Slow is the new Fast

Spektrum mostly. I have a couple of Tactic that came with and are blinded to RTR’s.
smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:57 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Many of them.

Airtronics, Futaba, Spektrum, and a hacked Flysky are the ones I mostly use.

I also have a Radiolink I got in a trade that I haven't used yet and a swarm of RTR radios that have been accumulated.

The Flysky is basically reserved for trucks requiring more than 4 channels. The programming sucks but the capabilities are awesome. The Spektrum gets used for basic trucks that usually only require 2 channels and I don't mind loaning out to other. The fast stuff mainly gets the Airtronics gear but I use it on a few scalers as well since it easy to set up and the receivers are so small compared to other brands. The Futaba is relatively new but I like the programming and it is quite comfortable to hold, I'll be using it more in the future.
svt923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:38 AM   #10

Quote:
Why switch to spectrum, isnt futaba 4pls a better radio? A lot of people are telling me this
The word "better" is so subjective. Yes, typically Airtronics/Sanwa and Futaba are higher end radios than Spektrum. But they are also more expensive and that's especially true when it comes to the price of receivers.

I run Spektrum and a Turnigy TS4G on the trails.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I'm one of those running a hacked GT3C. A friend of mine uses a stick controller with his SCX10 II and he prefers it over the pistol style. I have tried driving his rig and while it is intuitive to a certain degree I prefer the pistol grip style.

Last edited by Inspector86; 01-10-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:38 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I had a Futaba 4PLS but it was way too complicated for what I needed, so I ordered a new Spektrum DX5C which I just picked up about an hour ago. I opted for the 6ch version so I can use that receiver in my TRX-4.
LSXGMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:39 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I also run a GT3C, but with a hardware hack instead of the firmware. i have 3 extra potentiometers and 3, 3-way toggles that are added on through a DasMikro converter sold on banggood. I like the convenience of having every channel instantly available instead of having to use the menu on the firmware hacked version. The other reason it works for me is that my extra channels don't require fine adjustment, and with the winch on a 3-way toggle, I don't have to worry about the line creeping in or out on me.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:38 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
I want at least one more channel. Not a whole lot of options for pistol grip radios with 5+ channels. Futaba jumps from 4 channels up to 7 and the price on the Futaba 7PX is just stupid.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:40 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
I want at least one more channel. Not a whole lot of options for pistol grip radios with 5+ channels. Futaba jumps from 4 channels up to 7 and the price on the Futaba 7PX is just stupid.
Another option is the new 6 channel radiolink. It's basically an RC4G with a couple toggle switches added. It doesn't seem to be everywhere yet, but it's out in the wild from a few sellers.

https://www.asiatees.com/display?bra...=All&id=147194
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 05:04 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by makya View Post
I also run a GT3C, but with a hardware hack instead of the firmware. i have 3 extra potentiometers and 3, 3-way toggles that are added on through a DasMikro converter sold on banggood. I like the convenience of having every channel instantly available instead of having to use the menu on the firmware hacked version. The other reason it works for me is that my extra channels don't require fine adjustment, and with the winch on a 3-way toggle, I don't have to worry about the line creeping in or out on me.
I'm curious about what you mean about instantly available channels? Once it's hacked you have all the channels available to you. If I want 3 channels I use the 3 channel receiver. If I need more I use the 6 or 8 channel receiver.
For the winch creep that's solved with a decent winch controller. Not sure how a slide switch or toggle would hurt or help that.
As far as having to adjust the channels do you mean trim and endpoints to adjust the actual RC?

I definitely need to finally install those pots and micro switches so I have the best of both worlds.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
spoo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 06:49 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I’m using a Spektrum DX5C on my 10.2 and it has proved to be a hardy transmitter at $140

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThatJeeper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 07:54 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I have three of the gtb3's.They work well for my needs.Cant beat the price either.
RiderZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 08:23 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Absima cr4t which is basically a Flysky I understand.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 12:57 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

RC4g and TS4g which are basically the same model. Originally got it for the integrated gyro RX for my 2wd SCT, but didn't like it.

I don't think I could go back to a simpler radio regarding EPA and curve settings. Also like the soft springs and foam wheel.
Ninomaniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Which transmitter do you use? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stick transmitter vs pistol grip transmitter D19er Electronics 3 03-05-2014 09:52 AM
witch is better? rc kraver Tires and Wheels 14 01-05-2013 06:59 PM
witch ones better Bam Bam Electronics 11 08-29-2005 09:08 PM