Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: tires cut at beadlock rim

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2018, 04:53 PM   #1

Default tires cut at beadlock rim

These are rc4wd 1" Scrambler tires mounted to their Stamped steel beadlock rims. I mounted them on a 1/24 Basher Rocksta, which has servo upgrades and softer springs in it as well. It has 4ws which I was using 100% today.

At first before today I used stock Nylock nuts on axles, and they stayed on tight, and I ran the Scramblers a few times, much better than stock tires. I also when first mounting to beadlocks had cut a channel around the outside perimeter of foams in the center of width, and put 15 grams of BB shot in each front and 7 grams of BB shot in each rear tire.

Today I used new taller axle nuts that worked better with the new rims (tool grips better). But I didn't have locktite on them.

I ran the micro on a new indoor course I had made for it, which although there is a lot of drops, has a lot of friction for the tires to bite into. Has the consistency of 60 grit sandpaper.

So the two changes today were that, new nuts and new course. After only a few minutes at most, I saw a couple of BB on the course and looked at the tires carefully. All four wheels were wobbly on their axles; the nuts had backed off 2-4 turns on each axle.

Worse, the two front tires on the outside only had been cut or ripped away where they clamp to the rim edge. The left tire maybe 60 degree arc around rim was cut; right tire maybe 30 degrees.

AFAIK, no tire cuts on inside of rims, and I'm pretty sure rears are okay, although I'm not ruling out possibility that a small arc may be cut and just won't show itself until it grows larger.

So what caused this?

Last edited by H2Ohaze; 01-09-2018 at 05:02 PM.
H2Ohaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2018, 07:04 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: tires cut at beadlock rim

Pictures would help if you can get some (use Imgur or another image hosting site). My first guess would be that the inner clamp ring had a sharp edge and cut the tire, but it seems like the RC4WD tires should be fine on their own wheels. Did the clamp ring seem sharp when you assembled it?

Just a stab in the dark here but maybe one side of the bead didn't seat properly and is taking up more space than it should causing the other side to clamp too much leading to it cutting/tearing.

some searching turned up this thread Rc4wd wheels cut beads!

Last edited by HumboldtEF; 01-09-2018 at 07:07 PM.
HumboldtEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:23 PM   #3

The outside rings are fairly thin, so could cut.

In that thread you referenced tho, it also talks about cranking down on the bolts too tightly. As a newbie, I did tighten the beadlocks somewhat tightly. Should I just maybe leave an extra millimeter gap? Distance between outer ring and threaded doughnut on inside (peering thru center hole) was pretty slim when I first assembled these....?

Other options: sand down outer rim edge? Use another wheel, if so which one?
Old 01-09-2018, 08:30 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Bad luck that you got a pair of self defeating RC4WD beadlocks essentially, I've got several pairs of non-RC4WD beadlocks and the only thing that should happen from cranking down the bolts is stripped threads, the bead should never get cut regardless. I would take pics and email warranty support, wouldn't even mess with them trying to sand them, since that OP in that thread got new rings.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:40 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Could it be the sharp edges of the rings? if so, try to file needle to file down those sharp area?
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 10:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Bad luck that you got a pair of self defeating RC4WD beadlocks essentially, I've got several pairs of non-RC4WD beadlocks and the only thing that should happen from cranking down the bolts is stripped threads, the bead should never get cut regardless. I would take pics and email warranty support, wouldn't even mess with them trying to sand them, since that OP in that thread got new rings.
Any reccomendation for non-RC4wd wheels that would works, have same specs, etc:

Stamped Steel 1.0" Stock Beadlock Wheels (Black)
Old 01-09-2018, 10:54 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Gearhead makes glue on 1" micro crawler wheels. The Redcat Sumo crawler uses 1" beadlocks that can be had cheap, but I had to glue the RC4WD tires on them anyway since they wouldn't clamp down tight enough. More and more often, I'm starting to question why I even bother with beadlocks on rc's, I can mount/dismount glue ons just as fast, and they pretty much never fail.

edit: here's the link: http://www.gearheadrc.com/microwheels.htm

Last edited by TheLetterJ; 01-09-2018 at 10:58 PM.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:27 AM   #8

The curse of RC3WD wheels strikes again. Sorry to hear that.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I used boomracing beadlocks with RC4WD tires on my yeti Jr.
No issues so far and a very good price on Asiatee.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #10
~THE SCALE SHOP~

2 things cut tire beads.
not enough clearance left in bead grove in manufacturing/machining.
or sharp corners left (or in a stamped wheels case the thin metal is no different than a knife)
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:25 PM   #11

Can't find any Boomrang 1.0" wheels.

Redcat Sumo folks don't want you to find out what wheels they use, I can't get info from their site properly. Is this it?
https://www.amainhobbies.com/redcat-...r24023/p172431

The solution of gluing wheels on: can you even do this with the rc4wd Scrambler tires which are made for beadlocks?

This is all frustrating. Isn't there just a 1.00" beadlock wheel that fits Scramblers (also out of stock just now to add to the frustration)?

I did find these more $$ rc4wd rims which appear to be machined billet aluminum. rc4wd guarantees only that their tires fit their rims. I'm guessing these beadlocks would not be knife edge thin.
True?
RC4WD Raceline Monster 1.0" Beadlock Wheels
Rage 1.0" Beadlock Wheels

The first one has the same offset as stock 8mm but is more $. Second one $10 less with 7mm offset-would this still work? I don't understand offset very well...

Finally any non rc4wd beadlocks out there that would work with the 1.0" Scramblers- if it also has to be glued okay, as long as it stays on. Links if possible. So far advice is very good, appreciate it, but either not a solution or more questions (like using a beadlock tire on a glued rim).

Thank you.

Last edited by H2Ohaze; 01-10-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 01-10-2018, 04:16 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Redcat #24709 is the part number for the Sumo Crawler double beadlock wheels I referred to earlier. You'll have to google to find them in stock, but it looks like they go for ~$6 a pair, with rings and hardware.
TheLetterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:52 PM   #13

Just heard back from rc4wd, I sent them pics of the two front tires that were cut. They told me they would not replace under warranty anything:
1) not bought directly from them (Tires bought from LHS but on special order from rc4wd).
2) Over 30 days (wheels and tires both bought about 40 days ago).

And they wanted pics of all four wheels.

I told them that if the Stamped Steel rims are defective they should not even be sold. Anyway, the Scrambler tires are out of stock 2-4 weeks.

I don't know what to do. The Scramblers were so much better than stock Basher Rocksta tires. I just can't get for 2-4 weeks, and I can't mount them to anything.

I thought rc4wd was a respectable company. If I had a defective product I would withdraw it, and give credit or refunds regardless if it was over 30 days or special ordered through LHS from rc4wd. What if I had bought the Bully II ($580) from them and had an issue?
Old 01-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #14

rc4wd just fired back another post, to quote:

"I have some good news.
Here is what we will do for you.
We are going to replace the tires and the center rings for the wheels.
Keep in mind that the tires are about 4 to 6 weeks out before they are in stock again.
I going to request the tires and the wheels this afternoon so I will get a set for you when they come in.
Just bear with me and we will get you taken care of.
Have a great evening!
Kenny
RC4WD Support Team"

Well, that's good. I still would like alternative wheels. Haven't been able to find those
Redcats Sumo wheels even with part # yet, but thanks for the reference. Will keep looking.
Old 01-11-2018, 10:32 PM   #15

https://www.banggood.com/HBX-2098B-1...r_warehouse=CN

Has anyone tried these? I found a YouTube just posted of someone substituting the Scramblers onto the wheels:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4uCe...GXyyLT&index=4

but I'm not sure they are entirely clamped as a beadlock is just from the video.

Also twice the price of the Redcats, although these are in stock.

tires cut at beadlock rim - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1.9 beadlock rim help please! Spentar Tires and Wheels 5 05-01-2012 01:57 PM
1.9 beadlock rim with zero offset 209SCXCRAWLER Tires and Wheels 2 04-04-2012 09:28 AM
3.2 beadlock rim ?? Jeep-Power Tires and Wheels 65 01-08-2010 08:58 PM