Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: 4x4 with functioning transfer case?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2018, 09:19 PM   #1

Default 4x4 with functioning transfer case?

Is it possible to get a transfer case to allow you to shift between two and four wheel drive on an RC vehicle? And if so is it easily retro into existing trucks?
3Gunnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2018, 10:28 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 4x4 with functioning transfer case?

It's called a 'dig', Vanquish makes one for the SCX10-II, but I'm sure you could fit it into any shaft driven truck if you tried hard enough. I'm sure other manufacturers make them but I don't know any.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
MasteroFlego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:42 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasteroFlego View Post
It's called a 'dig', Vanquish makes one for the SCX10-II, but I'm sure you could fit it into any shaft driven truck if you tried hard enough. I'm sure other manufacturers make them but I don't know any.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Yes and no...

A Dig locks up the back tires and puts all power to the front. Some dig units allow you to freewheel the back as well, but it still does not operate like a 1:1 transfer case.

As far as I know, no, there is nothing off the shelf that would act like a 1:1 transfer case. But, with a little bit of research, a touch of imagination and a bit of garage engineering it wouldn't be too difficult to make something that would work like one.

The big question is "why?"... Even in trail running, there is not much use for a 2WD rig.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
Yes and no...

The big question is "why?"... Even in trail running, there is not much use for a 2WD rig.
Because it's fun? I don't put my real truck into 4wd until it's absolutely necessary. The challenge of getting as far as possible in 2wd makes an otherwise mundane, snowy ride home a lot more interesting. Driving the RC up the easy parts of a trail would be a lot more fun if I could tackle it in 2wd.
Jim85IROC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:55 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

The Tamiya Bruiser/Mountain Rider transmission can do 2/4 wheel drive. It's not a separate transfer case, but the effect is the same.

https://www.tamiyausa.com/items/radi...in-rider-84386
JohnnyAnguish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:51 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
Because it's fun? I don't put my real truck into 4wd until it's absolutely necessary. The challenge of getting as far as possible in 2wd makes an otherwise mundane, snowy ride home a lot more interesting. Driving the RC up the easy parts of a trail would be a lot more fun if I could tackle it in 2wd.
Different in this hobby is always good, even if it is something I do not see the value in. But, the reason why I asked the "why" questions is to see if the OP has something specific in mind, a particular scenario that he has to would require 2/4WD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAnguish View Post
The Tamiya Bruiser/Mountain Rider transmission can do 2/4 wheel drive. It's not a separate transfer case, but the effect is the same.

There are a good number of ways to skin this cat, especially if the OP is looking for 1:1 transfer case functionality, but not necessary arranged like a 1:1 truck would be. I am pretty sure you could do this with a LCC transmission by modifying the shifting a little bit, and setting it up to free-wheel instead of dig. But, it is really up to the OP and what he is after on this project.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:37 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I think this is what your looking for.
Bullet 3 Speed Transfer Case
First Gear is 4WD (1:1 Gear Ratio)
2nd Gear is 4WD (1.9:1 Gear Ratio)
3rd Gear is 2WD (1:1 Gear Ratio)
I've never seen one mounted in a rig. Good Luck with your build.
Dezertdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:09 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I've tried this years ago before, with a Vanquish dig system on an SCX10. I just mounted the whole transmission skid 180 from stock and reversed the motor rotation. RWD, 4WD, and "line lock" (i.e. rear wheel burnouts).

This was quick and dirty, but I had to relocated the receiver box and possibly may have trimmed/mounted the shift servo a bit different to get it to fit without interference from the chassis and/or plastic braces. Kind of fun, but it needed more development. Would need to change the weight distribution to bias at least 60% rear to get it to be any "fun" to drive around in 2WD, but then having a rearward weight bias screws up the climbing ability of the truck.
K.O.M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I took a Wraith trans, bought the dig, modified the dig unit by grinding off the locking nubs so it would always freewheel, flipped it around, put the spur/input shaft up front and used it as a transfer case. Boom, 2/4wd drive.

It's hooked to a Tamiya semi trans, so it has 3 speeds as well.

Only issue is the entire setup is pretty large. Mine's in a 1/6 rig so I had the room. For a 1/10, you'd just need a front mounted motor/trans like the Venture, CMX, Trailfinder etc.

So bottom line - it can be done!
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:35 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I think the Traction Hobby Cragsman has the selectable transfer case.
tuanies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:00 PM   #11

Yes the idea was to see what the truck could do in 2 wheel drive and then switch over to 4 wheel drive when absolutely necessary. Also it would be cool just to be able to blow some donuts and stuff like that every now and then. This is all new to me and I don't want to go too far down the rabbit hole, but it seems like this will be enjoyable......... especially once the weather warms up!
Old 01-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyAnguish View Post

Wow I just checked out that site that Toyota truck would look awesome with a set of regular tires on it. But what makes it worth $1,200?
Old 01-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Gunnah View Post
Wow I just checked out that site that Toyota truck would look awesome with a set of regular tires on it. But what makes it worth $1,200?
It's not. That's just Tamiya's price as the distributor. They charge more than the retailers that they sell to so that they are not competing with their own customers for sales.

You can buy a new Tamiya Bruiser for about $750 from retailers.
makya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 06:47 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

I like 2/4wd myself. Wouldn't do it to every rig, but it's a cool scale feature on the right rig.

Really have to have a balanced truck, if it's a front heavy rig, 2WD is totally useless. Mine is set up about 50/50 weight-wise, so 2WD works ok on the trail. As soon as I hit some hills or a rocky section, I go as far as I can, then shift into 4W and continue.

I'd like to mix my channels together so that I have 2H, 2L, and then creeper gear with 4WD. Just never got around to it.
OSRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:40 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSRC View Post
I like 2/4wd myself. Wouldn't do it to every rig, but it's a cool scale feature on the right rig.

Really have to have a balanced truck, if it's a front heavy rig, 2WD is totally useless. Mine is set up about 50/50 weight-wise, so 2WD works ok on the trail. As soon as I hit some hills or a rocky section, I go as far as I can, then shift into 4W and continue.

I'd like to mix my channels together so that I have 2H, 2L, and then creeper gear with 4WD. Just never got around to it.
This is exactly what I am looking for. It does appear that I'm going to need to definitely improve my skills and knowledge before I am able to tackle something like that.
Old 01-18-2018, 08:52 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

This does everything you're asking for - high/low and rwd/4wd

https://www.asiatees.com/display?Tra...d=147193&pid=1
tuanies is offline   Reply With Quote

4x4 with functioning transfer case? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
GIVEAWAY-Cold Case, CRT 1.5 Transfer Case Crawln Coles Scale Accessories 215 02-02-2009 03:31 PM