Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: which vehicle fits my purpose

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #1

Default which vehicle fits my purpose

Hello all,

New to crawling/trailing many decades in RC though. My conundrum is that I want a vehicle that has 2 speeds which are 1st extremely slow ( high torque ) and second which is still quite slow with the ability to change gearing with pinion/spur etc options. I have a lot of woodland on the doorstep with some very long steep inclines so want something that will cope with this plus a odd rock/tree root etc, some inclines are extremely steep and long so quite a challenge. I really like the RC4WD 6x6 beast but not sure what gearing I can get down to. Also looked at Axial wraith/scx10 etc but just like the beast but if its not upto it then its a no. Not interested in RTR as building is half the fun. Any other makes out there something scale like preferred but need to purchase options etc. Any thoughts welcomed. I did also look at the exceed 1/8 models but not sure upgradeable they are etc. Any opinions welcomed.
incline1914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2018, 01:28 PM   #2

Default Re: which vehicle fits my purpose

For steep hill climbs you need wheel speed. The 6x6 won't give you that.

I would suggest the Bomber and a good brushless system (Mamba X and Tekin ROC412 3100kv or Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro 3500kv) and you won't need the 2-speed. But you can surely make the Bomber a 2-speed if you desire.

It has a long wheelbase which is good for hillclimbs and it's a great trailer. It makes easy work of small obstacles though.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

scx10II or Bomber would be more than good and the parts support are great for them, both stock and aftermarket.
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 01:34 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Check out the Gmade GOM. Seems to meet your main wants as I understood them:
2 speed
low first gear
kit form
scale appearance
TooOldForThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

also the twin hammers from vaterra with 2 speed option.
or slap the same 2 speed trans into the ascender with choice of body.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #6

Thanks all,

I didn't see the Gmade but it looks spot on, I will do some research on it tomorrow to see what hop ups are available do you think the GOM would handle a brushless setup ?. In terms of speed to get up steep long inclines I was thinking of something that could slowly plod its way up using torque at a snail pace ? maybe my lack of experience in this field or wishful thinking.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:26 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Depends on the hill but in my experience you need good tires and then lots of wheel speed. Good tires first and foremost because if your tires grip then you won't need as much wheel speed, but then when you have the extra wheel speed it'll help even more. It really varies depending on the terrain but unless the hill is pure rock and requires careful maneuvering, you're probably just going to be using full throttle bursts to blast up the hill.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 04:11 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

I would suggest an SCX10 II or a Gelande II because they both allow a 2 speed option, and the SCX10 II allows for a wide range of spurs and pinions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ThatJeeper2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 08:08 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I would stay away from GOM mine breaks in my back yard and it ain’t to brushless friendly. Maybe eventually vanquish will make quality parts for it, until then I stick with my axials.
PileDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 09:24 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

TRX-4... 2-speed/ can handle more power then you need...
Lanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:39 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Brushless stink for low speed crawling because they "cog" (start-stop); go Holmes brushed 45t for slow crawling.

As for a kit rig, Ascender or Scx10 ii; there are 2-speed upgrades and huge aftermarket support for both.

However, before dropping the dime on expensive 2-speed upgrades, try 3s lipo and a good remote like the GT3C (hackable, $50 with lipo battery and USB charger on eBay). It'll go as slow as you want but still outrun you on the trail.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 04:37 AM   #12

Thanks for the quick replies all, quite a puzzle to solve. I will do a lot more surfing and see how much more I can confuse myslef
Old 01-19-2018, 05:50 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by incline1914 View Post
Thanks for the quick replies all, quite a puzzle to solve. I will do a lot more surfing and see how much more I can confuse myslef
Good job taking the initiative and researching it yourself. Let us know if you have any additional questions. BTW if you didn't care whether it was a kit, I would have suggested the TRX-4 as it comes stock with remote 2-speed and OTF un/locking differentials.
Old 01-19-2018, 06:42 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by incline1914 View Post
Checkout YouTube videos on the trucks you're interested in. That'll give you an idea of what you're getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Good job taking the initiative and researching it yourself. Let us know if you have any additional questions. BTW if you didn't care whether it was a kit, I would have suggested the TRX-4 as it comes stock with remote 2-speed and OTF un/locking differentials.
The TRX-4 Bronco kit is supposed to be coming soon.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 09:52 AM   #15

ok looked at far too many youtube videos, i still have an eye for the beast and have seen some trail videos where it looks nice and slow with quite some climbing potential but as mentioned not sure on ultimate long incline potential but i guess that could be a challenge (looks fun to drive) i.e. its 2 speed so i guess gearing down the motor spur and pinion would reduce both gears ? . i will park that for now .......urring now on the axial bomber with 2-speed, i see the axial hi/lo transmission provides a transmission ratio of 1st 2:1 and second 1.08: or 0.93:1 does anyone know how these relate to the overal motor to wheel ratio with stock motor spur/pinion, again i belive with the bomber i could gear down even further by going down on the motor spur/pinion do axial supply different motor spur/pinion sets for the bomber. i have found a yeti pinion steel ax31160 68t and ax30725 11t pinion both 32p ( i guess these could also apply to the beast ), i guess what im trying to find out is are there plenty of available pinion/spur options to swap and change to experiment with along with motor voltage ( 3s lipo preferred ).
Old 01-19-2018, 09:59 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

On a Bomber there's multiple spur and pinion options, and you can also underdrive or overdrive the differentials. There are guys that run 4S LiPo batteries as well. Loads of options!
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:23 AM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
On a Bomber there's multiple spur and pinion options, and you can also underdrive or overdrive the differentials. There are guys that run 4S LiPo batteries as well. Loads of options!
Will brushed motors last very long on 4s, or are we talking about sensored brushless now?

Also, isn't the Bomber more of a rock racer hybrid than a crawler? As I understand it, it's better than the Twin Hammers at crawling, but nothing like an Ascender or Scx10; right?
Old 01-19-2018, 10:45 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

If you like the beast then get a beast you can always adjust the wheel speed with ether diferent motors or pinnions and spur gears and having 6 tires bitting would have more traction than 4 most of these rigs are just the starting point anyway so get something you like then make it what you want it to be
ferp420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 10:49 AM   #19

great feedback all, can i ask what underdrive on the axles is ? is it changing the ratios in the axles ?
Old 01-19-2018, 10:50 AM   #20
RCC Addict

The bomber is a 2.2 rig, much easier to climb with since it has huge wheels compared to a 1.9 scx10.2

For the motor, if you stay brushed like i did, go for a cheap sealed can with low turn count (titan 21T or Holmes trail Master) and 3s.
Should crawl well and still have wheelspeed and at 20$ you can live with a shorter motor life.

If you want to unleash the bomber beast mode, the you need to step up to sensored brushless and mucho $$

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote

which vehicle fits my purpose - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
WIDE 1.9......they could have purpose. 808DA6 Tires and Wheels 7 06-01-2011 10:01 PM
purpose of a BEC??? russp Electronics 3 02-28-2011 12:30 AM
Purpose of Lockouts? aggierc Newbie General 2 11-25-2009 07:24 PM