Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Buying my first Crawler Kit.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2018, 05:43 PM   #1

Default Buying my first Crawler Kit.

Im a long time RC guy. Nitro, Electric, Bashing , Racing, you name it and I have tried it to some extent. The last few years I abandoned cars for Helis, but Ive got the itch for a Crawler. Ive always wanted to build one but never got around to it.
Ive done some research and watched videos and read through a bunch or threads. Things sure have changed in the 3-4 years Ive been away. Seems like RockRacers are IN,,,, and the SloMo dedicated Crawlers I was familiar with are sort of on the fringe now. Thats a pity, since I really liked those hardcore Crawlers.
I want a kit that is relatively recent and has good aftermarket support. Id like a shafty for my first try.... (It seems like Losi is no longer supporting the LCC?) Im leaning towards the Axial Bomber. Seems like a kit that has potential to be built a number of different ways. I plan to go with a high turn brushed motor for a more traditional crawler build. I think Ill enjoy that the most. If I change my mind, I can always throw in a sensored brushless Motor and get some Speed.
The only other kit that has temped me is the Gmade R1. It looks very similar in concept to the Bomber and is even a $100 cheaper. Im not sure if the after market support is as good as the Axial though. Any thoughts or opinions on these kits,,,, or any others would be welcomed...
Redharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2018, 09:43 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Buying my first Crawler Kit.

Welcome to RCC and crawling. The scene has changed in the last few years with a big shift away from comp crawlers toward scalers and, to a lesser extent, rock racers. The Bomber is a good start and a better choice than the R1 if for no other reason than much more extensive aftermarket support. Lack of aftermarket support was a big reason I chose to put an R1 cage on AR60 axles with an AX10 tranny to get the look of an R1 with the durability and performance of Axial running gear (I have a build thread on here somewhere detailing the build) rather than building an R1 with Gmade running gear.

With all that said, keep in mind that any solid axle vehicle with locked diffs is going to be very limited in its high speed capabilities. I run sensored brushless motors in my Bomber and Wraith (3500 kV on 3S), and they both have way more speed than the truck could ever handle in anything other than a straight line. My R1 Frankenstein does better at speed then either of those due to much lighter weight and lower CG, but it's still nothing like a well-built Yeti or SC truck at speed.

Hope that helps...good luck!
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:32 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Default Re: Buying my first Crawler Kit.

Between the R1 and Bomber, I'd definitely go with the latter for aftermarket parts support. Another option might be the TRX-4 except that it doesn't come in a kit; maybe disassemble and build it how you like with upgrades including servos, lighter body for lower CoG, etc. The Scx10 ii and Ascender both come in kits, have amazing aftermarket support, and excellent steering (among other positives). I'll probably get flamed for mentioning, but for a cheap good rock racer, I might recommend the RTR (with lipo battery and charger) $72 FY03 1/12 scale from eBay.
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=Fy03&sm=3
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote

Buying my first Crawler Kit. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is one SCX10 kit worth buying over the others? svt923 Axial SCX-10 10 04-26-2014 09:26 PM
buying a honcho kit tomorrow- go brushless? muddinscx Axial SCX-10 16 09-03-2011 05:26 PM
Buying the XR10 Kit Q's crawlwhat Axial XR10 4 03-11-2011 03:10 PM
Possible to build an XR10 without buying the kit?? NVUS Axial XR10 25 01-18-2011 07:26 PM
Cheapest place for buying a Honcho Kit? Desert Rc Axial SCX-10 10 02-22-2010 08:29 PM