Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: SCX10 ii build for young kid and father

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2018, 11:05 AM   #1

Default SCX10 ii build for young kid and father

So I’m not completely new to RC but have been out of it for over 15 years.
I just built a Tamiya XV-01 and quickly learned that my 3 year old wants to play with it but it is way to fast and our yard does not have many places it can be driven. That’s where the Scx10 ii come in, at least I think. I know the scx10 ii is great on trails and rocks but does it also do okay in grass?

So I want to build some thing that we both can enjoy and I think the scx10 would be able to conquer the back yard and be slow enough that the 3 year old can full throttle it without getting into too much trouble.

I’m looking at the kit version as I have a tendency to upgrade quick anyway and I’m looking at the mamba x slate combo. I have never used the castle link so correct me if I’m worng, I can adjust the power/throttle to only have 50% power for my kid right? Also I plan on letting him run with 2s Lipo and me with 3s. Will this work? If this is something I can do, what Kv motor do you guys recommend?

Also what do you guys recommend for servo? I like savox but I’m open to anything.
Thanks

Last edited by Awallspdx; 02-13-2018 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Adding questions
Awallspdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2018, 01:26 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SCX10 ii build for young kid and father

Welcome to RCC and yes SCX10ii will be ok as long as the grass is not really deep, if the Tamiya can handle it then crawler will be fine. Kit's are more fun imo, but I've got a mix of both and don't have as much free time as I used to. Also check out the Vaterra Ascender a very high quality and capable truck right out of the box with very little mods needed compared to others. IIRC Castle link will allow you to set throttle, been awhile since I messed with mine. Can always put a small plastic block behind the throttle if needed. 2s or 3s is fine with that ESC, around 2200kv-2700kv motor would be good.

Servos I like Hitec HS7950TH, kinda depends on how much you want to spend and brand preference, don't forget a BEC with the servo.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:45 PM   #3

Thank you Natedog.
Do I still need a BEC with the Mamba X? It has an internal one I think, 6v? I might be wrong, this is still new to me. Yeah the XV-01 does not handle grass to well due to how low it is. That’s why I want to get an trail/crawler rig, so I can play around in the back yard and I am drawn to scale rc.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #4
RCC Addict

You still need a BEC if you’re using high torque digital servo like 7.4 or 8.4Volt to maximise its performance. Cheers

Sorry I just check the mamba X spec. The build in BEC is 8Volt. So the build in bec is suffice. I am sorry for the mistake.

BEC Specifications: Adjustable: 5.5V, 6.0V, 7.5V. or 8.0V (8A Peak), default 5.5V

Last edited by Teng; 02-13-2018 at 04:55 PM.
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:09 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I would recommend you take a look at the TRX4 or if you really want to build your truck wait till the TRX4 kit is released. For general fun driving the TRX4 is extremely capable and has proven to be exceptionally durable. There is an ever growing aftermarket parts supply and it has features that no other model has. In your case the 2 speed transmission would be a definite plus as well as the training mode which would be perfect for a young driver.

Last edited by Inspector86; 02-13-2018 at 05:24 PM.
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:18 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Mamba X does not need separate BEC.
It’s got the amps needed, not just volts.

Last edited by Natedog; 02-13-2018 at 06:13 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:12 PM   #7
Gold Star Baby!

There are transmitters out there you can use to limit your throttle too. The spektrum dx2e even has a switch for low, medium, and high. A little more conventient to do on the fly.

The castle field card itself is super easy to use though and can adjust the throttle and more without needing to have your computer around.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:36 PM   #8

I looked at the TRX4 and I like it but it has too many features for me. I don’t want to have to think about when to lock the diferential.

I didn’t know the castle field card could limit the power. I didn’t see it as one of the features on the front of the card, only punch control. But I think you can do it on the computer.

I already have the dx4c controller and was planing on using that for now but if the kiddo loves it I may have to build two and get another controller and the dx2e could be the ticket.

Thanks guys for all the info
Old 02-13-2018, 06:42 PM   #9
Gold Star Baby!

You’re totally right, it is only Punch control and not full throttle control. My mistake.
Topher Builds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 07:01 PM   #10

Is the Savox 1256TG a good servo to use? I saw a good deal for one. Or is there a better savox? Also what’s the difference on the black edition? I was it has a shorter cable, 200mm or something, is this long enough to run in the scx10?
Old 02-14-2018, 05:39 PM   #11

Thanks for all your help guys. One more question, I saw the castle slate motor can come with different size shaft. Do you guys know off the top of your head what size I need?
Old 02-22-2018, 10:01 PM   #12
RCC Addict

3mm motor shaft is the most common. I wasn't aware that any of the Slate series came with anything else.

You will most definitely need a quality servo horn such as VP's 25t 24mm long servo horn for any good servo. A couple others that are good choices are the Hitec 7955, the Pro Modeler, and the Holmes Hobbies servo. Those are a good bit cheaper. I run a few 7955s and if you put 7.4V through them they have a good bit of torque.

Last edited by Col_Sanders; 02-22-2018 at 10:04 PM. Reason: Wrong servo
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:52 PM   #13

So I pulled the trigger today and got the kit. Not a fan of the Cherokee body but that’s just me so I pick up the proline Hilux. After talking through esc with the local hobby shop guy I ended up with a Tekin FXR. I have no experience with Tekin but have read good things and decided to stay brushed. I went with the Savox 1230 and a castle bec. The local shop was out of aluminum servo horns for the Savox Col_Sanders but it is definitely on the list now. Also picked up some cheap bead lock wheels as I am not a fan of glueing tires. Any good tips before I begin? Or a good thread to read?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2018, 12:45 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Tekin makes good stuff and the FXR is a nice small ESC.

The kits go together pretty well. A couple pictures are a little hard to decipher exactly what way a rod end or gear is facing, but if you get lost there is a ton of help available here. I too hate gluing tires so I put beadlocks on all my crawlers. Some tire/wheel combos can be a bit tricky to mount. I have always had a horrible time with wagon wheels.

Axial's shocks are notorious for leaking. There are quite a few threads here to help with that, but to sum it up, the Traxxas X rings and green slime has been able to stop leaking for some people. Some folks prefer to run with no shock oil (except for a few drops to keep the piston lubricated) anyway.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 02:43 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

A $40 GoolRC brushed combo does fine for a crawler for a kid, wasn't the whole point to keep it slow?
I'm currently upgrading all my crawlers from wp1060 to wp1080 escs, also a great, affordable option.
zanthrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 07:16 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Hobbywing 1080 and traxxas 21T 550 or holmes Hobbies trailmaster sport 21T 550

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:26 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

I have a fantastic PARENT TIP:....... I recently purchased the new RTR 10.2 JK for my 2.5 year old son. I attempted to teach him how to drive it but his focus wasn't there. 2 nights ago an idea came to me. I placed his favorite stuffed animal on top of the JK. Bam....... intense focus. He didn't like the thought of Chase (Paw Patrol) falling off while he was driving. This worked fantastic for my little man....
doubler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:27 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanthrax View Post
A $40 GoolRC brushed combo does fine for a crawler for a kid, wasn't the whole point to keep it slow?
I'm currently upgrading all my crawlers from wp1060 to wp1080 escs, also a great, affordable option.

Agree, but to be honest I’m building it for both of us and I like to only buy electronics once so that I don’t have to upgrade later. (I have a bad habit of upgrading) I’m also sold on the ability for the hot link on the Tekin to adjust the throttle and such to help with the kiddos tendencies to full throttle it right away, then be able to adjust back for me.

Old 02-23-2018, 04:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post

Axial's shocks are notorious for leaking. There are quite a few threads here to help with that, but to sum it up, the Traxxas X rings and green slime has been able to stop leaking for some people. Some folks prefer to run with no shock oil (except for a few drops to keep the piston lubricated) anyway.

I’ll stop back by the shop on the way home to pick up some green slime and Traxxas rebuild kits. That’s the only way to get the x-rings right? Thanks for the tip

Old 02-23-2018, 04:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubler View Post
I have a fantastic PARENT TIP:....... I recently purchased the new RTR 10.2 JK for my 2.5 year old son. I attempted to teach him how to drive it but his focus wasn't there. 2 nights ago an idea came to me. I placed his favorite stuffed animal on top of the JK. Bam....... intense focus. He didn't like the thought of Chase (Paw Patrol) falling off while he was driving. This worked fantastic for my little man....

Great idea! Maybe I can get him attached to an action figure so it can have a scale driver. At this moment it would be grumpy bear from Care Bears, riding around in the back of the Hilux

SCX10 ii build for young kid and father - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Father and Son build of a pair of Yeti XLs Tx12No1 Axial Yeti XL 53 01-03-2016 01:48 PM
Father and Sons Crawler Build rockseeker Axial XR10 29 11-16-2014 11:35 AM
Another Father Son Crawler build phritchey General Crawlers 0 06-06-2012 02:08 AM
Father Son Crawler Build phritchey General Crawlers 25 06-06-2012 02:02 AM