Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2017, 01:41 AM   #2401

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

Hello everyone,

As my forum name says, i am from The Netherlands, 47 years young, and i am completely new to the rc world. About two months ago i saw some spectacular video's of the Traxxas X-Maxx and made the mistake of buying one in "impulsmode". Two weeks later i realized that driving for a few seconds to the left aaaaaand a few seconds to the right gets really boring really quick. So, i returned the X-Maxx and bought the Traxxas TRX-4 instead. I was hooked the first time i took it out. I am having a lot of fun with it for six weeks now and it is still in one piece.......that's when i came up with the idea of buying a second car because i want to learn how to work on them. I chose the Gmade R1 RTR. I did go for the RTR version because there are a lot of things that can be replaced to make it a better crawler. I knew that it is not the best crawler but my goal is to tinker with it, drive it and just have fun with it. I ordered some parts that are currently on the way. Of course i have a lot of questions wich i will post in the beginners section.
CrawlingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2017, 08:06 PM   #2402

Another new guy here. Just bought an SCX10-II, currently in the building process...
Jeece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:46 PM   #2403

Whats up guys, just got on here a few days ago
just finished a full VP scx10 with the 4runner body and am working on a custom tube chasis U4 rock bouncer. Love this hobby and san antonio is a gret city for it
jag119105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:44 AM   #2404
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

So I'm about to embark on this journey with an SCX10ii kit build in the very near future. My shopping list has already passed the RRP of the TRX4 but hey, no price on the learning experience right?

Running an FTX Outlaw brushless which tho half decent does have a habit of approaching trails and obstacles like an over eager puppy.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 02:38 PM   #2405

Hey, posting in the right thread now haha, damn newbies. Anyways just thought I would say hi, have an ECX temper 1/18th scale, rc18b, and a losi micro.
Cheers all!

Last edited by THX_138; 09-01-2017 at 10:35 PM.
Shiftykapone22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 09:33 AM   #2406
RCC Addict

Hello everyone. Just curious how many posts or how long you have to view/post in classifieds?
Inspector86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 10:01 AM   #2407

Hello everyone!

Just got back into RC a month ago as my son was finally old enough not to randomly break his radio. So, back into everything with him! He currently has a basher, but I'm going to get him a crawler either this spring or winter. Going with a Redcat Everest 10 for him (might make it a pair so I can have one too lol). Currently I have an Axial Wraith and slowly getting back into the crawling world. Bashing is fun but given that my son likes to walk and follow his RC, I think crawling/trail running would be right up his alley.
ren.dnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:59 PM   #2408
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren.dnb View Post
Hello everyone!

Just got back into RC a month ago as my son was finally old enough not to randomly break his radio. So, back into everything with him! He currently has a basher, but I'm going to get him a crawler either this spring or winter. Going with a Redcat Everest 10 for him (might make it a pair so I can have one too lol). Currently I have an Axial Wraith and slowly getting back into the crawling world. Bashing is fun but given that my son likes to walk and follow his RC, I think crawling/trail running would be right up his alley.
Good deal. My boy loves crawling and trail running.

You mighy want to consider something that moves the same speed as the wraith. My son gets a lot less frustrated when we run rigs of equal speed and capablities.

If you like redcat or the price they have a scaler on pre-order right now. Never seen one in person but from the pictures it looks like a nice entry level rig.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 04:39 PM   #2409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Good deal. My boy loves crawling and trail running.

You mighy want to consider something that moves the same speed as the wraith. My son gets a lot less frustrated when we run rigs of equal speed and capablities.

If you like redcat or the price they have a scaler on pre-order right now. Never seen one in person but from the pictures it looks like a nice entry level rig.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestion. We've been bashing a bunch of times together, but we've never been crawling/trail running together. Thats part of the reason I'm more than likely going to buy a pair of Everest 10's. I have seen the new Everest 10 Gen 7. Looks pretty sweet; they were doing a giveaway on facebook which I of course didn't win lol.

I'm going with Redcat because of the price... can't beat the price factor. I'd love to go all Axial, but can't afford that route yet. Also, we want to convert the wraith into a solid axle monster truck lol. So, 2 new crawlers will work out. We're not doing this until winter or tax time, so we'll see how much those new Everest 10's cost then... Most of the shops near me sell them for nice prices.
ren.dnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 11:31 AM   #2410

Hey I'm Logan. I'm pretty new to the nitro rc world and I have myself a warhead evo that I blew up a while back. I'm going to try and rebuild it but I dont have the connector rod for the piston. If anyone could point me to where I could order one that would be super helpful!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
loganFuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 10:35 AM   #2411

Hello! My name is Mike and I am making the jump from 2wd stadium truck racing to crawling. I am running a Wraith PS and am looking at following along with Harley's budget build. But the first thing learning to keep the wheels on the ground hints the name. Thanks to all for all the knowledge that has already help me this far along.
RightSideUpPlease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #2412

Hi fellow rock crawlers..... name is craig, 46yo.... been into rc on and off since about 1989.....picked up an old 80s radio shack offroader a few years back and recently wanted to get it going.... didnt have the $$ to do it right away, so I picked up a new bright rat buggy (JUNK!!) a few weeks ago I picked up a maisto rock crawler ( I work for walmart so I get them at a discount) really is a fun toy grade rc, its only downfall is the AA alkaline batteries....runs awesome for about 10-15 mins before they start to slowly run down....... yesterday I picked up the new bright crawler to try out as it has a built in rechargeable battery and a cool bronco body.... will post up a rock crawler challenge between the 2 soon....money is tight, so a hobby grade is not in the cards at the moment.....
toyrockcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #2413

Good evening and how y'all are?

I've recently been bitten by the R/C bug again after a looong hiatus. How long? Well, the last R/Cing I did was about 5-6 years before this site was created. Still have the Traxxas Stampede that I was bashing around with then. I'm in the process of updating it a bit and putting it back on the road. Or more accurately the yard and woods. There isn't a track within 100 miles of here that I know of, so bashing, crawling and trail running is all there really is.

It's been in the process of internet research for it that I discovered just how big crawling has become. When I dropped out of the R/C world, crawlers were pretty rare and mostly "home grown", and I LOVED them! My absolute favorite truck has always been the truck that a lot of the crawlers I saw back then borrowed parts from: the Tamiya Bruiser. The scale look has always been awesome. However, that beast has always been, and still is, way out of my budget.

However, in the course of my internet surfing, I also came across the Everest 10 by Redcat. I really love the look of that machine! And the price is excellent considering the mostly positive reviews and it's ease of upgrading. I can't swing several hundred dollars at one clip as I'm a thoroughly blue collar family guy with a wife and 3 year old daughter. But, I think come Christmas or maybe tax time I should be able to give it a go.

In the meantime, I'm going to spend some time here searching, reading, and maybe asking a few questions. Thank y'all for the great site!
JawjaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:41 AM   #2414

Just a quick post to say hello. I am Jon from Liverpool in the UK.
New to crawling/ scaling but raced 1/10 off road for years. Really looking forward to learning a new discipline with my Maverick Scout.
Plans are to turn it into a proper scaler and just develop it over the years. I have been viewing the forum as a guest for ages but now that my truck has arrived I wanted to join up properly.
First mod to the truck will be chassis rails and Brazin Scale will be getting a p.m. very soon I reckon!
Anyway, that is me, look forward to speaking with you all.
Jon.
JonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:24 AM   #2415

G'day from South Australia.
I used to race buggies in the 80s, Tamiya Falcon and Boomerang, Mugen Mercury and a brief and abusive relationship with an Optima.

Last year I bought an Arrma Raider and soon found vids on YouTube about crawling. Now I have just ordered an Axial Bomber. I wanted something I can get speed with or gear down for crawling.
Fiendrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:14 AM   #2416

Greetings All, total Noob here. from North Florida. I am new to RC crawling and currently building a scx10 w/ the Older New Bright Jeep JKU Body. I am building it as a complete replica of my actual JKU. I have been working on it a few months now and getting fairly close to completion. I can't wait till it is all finished and ready for the trails! Just wanted to say hi.
Jeepguy_77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 08:56 AM   #2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyrockcrawlers View Post
Hi fellow rock crawlers..... name is craig, 46yo.... been into rc on and off since about 1989.....picked up an old 80s radio shack offroader a few years back and recently wanted to get it going.... didnt have the $$ to do it right away, so I picked up a new bright rat buggy (JUNK!!) a few weeks ago I picked up a maisto rock crawler ( I work for walmart so I get them at a discount) really is a fun toy grade rc, its only downfall is the AA alkaline batteries....runs awesome for about 10-15 mins before they start to slowly run down....... yesterday I picked up the new bright crawler to try out as it has a built in rechargeable battery and a cool bronco body.... will post up a rock crawler challenge between the 2 soon....money is tight, so a hobby grade is not in the cards at the moment.....
If you have a way to charge them, it's extremely easy to upgrade the Maisto to run on 2S lipo. Not only does it last a TON longer, but it has a lot more torque. I soldered a JST connector with pigtail to the backside of the AA battery tray, and cut out the dividers between the battery positions. I can still run AAs if I want to, or I can drop in a 1.0 or 1.2maH 2S lipo.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:33 PM   #2418

Hello, just joined.

I'm David, from Southeast Michigan. I'm an engineer in the electronic component industry and have always had a fascination with RC. Recently got into the crawlers, but have been into other areas of RC for the last 18 years.

Picked up a Vaterra Ascender a while back and now doing some upgrades. Just added some RC4WD wagon beadlocks and Pitbull Rock Beast 1.9s. Light bar and front tough armor bumper is going on next.

Looking forward to being a part of the community here.

https://ibb.co/j1qVdk
Hokogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 06:33 PM   #2419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
If you have a way to charge them, it's extremely easy to upgrade the Maisto to run on 2S lipo. Not only does it last a TON longer, but it has a lot more torque. I soldered a JST connector with pigtail to the backside of the AA battery tray, and cut out the dividers between the battery positions. I can still run AAs if I want to, or I can drop in a 1.0 or 1.2maH 2S lipo.
yeah I dont have a means to charge a lipo.... looking at some good rechargeable AA's.... the new bright crawler had front axle gear carnage after about a week of running it on my backyard rock course.....need to do something soon
toyrockcrawlers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:18 PM   #2420
Rock Stacker

Hello, name is Ken, I am new to crawling in general, but not to RC. I have build several fast electric boats and am now working on a 45" gas boat. Get tired of charging batteries to jsut run 3 minutes before the lipos are depleted. I've got a fleet of short course trucks that my boys play with and a drift car.

My oldest son has been wanting a crawler, but I've also got my eye on a RR10 bomber.
TAMELESSTGR is offline   Reply With Quote