Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #2481

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

Joe here from South Carolina, moved to the US from Europe. Took me over 40 yrs to get a 'real' RC. As a matter of fact, it is still on its way being shipped.
Got myself the Vaterra Ascender for starters, RTR. Looking forward to learn from this forum as I 'climb'. Thx!

PS: No, never been to Alabama.
Crawl_Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2017, 01:42 AM   #2482
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawl_Tide View Post
Joe here from South Carolina, moved to the US from Europe. Took me over 40 yrs to get a 'real' RC. As a matter of fact, it is still on its way being shipped.
Got myself the Vaterra Ascender for starters, RTR. Looking forward to learn from this forum as I 'climb'. Thx!

PS: No, never been to Alabama.
Welcome Joe! I'm sure you'll enjoy the Ascender as it's easily one of the top crawlers.

You can make your servo last a lot longer by replacing the stock servo's bushing with a 6x10x2.5mm bearing from AvidRC:

http://www.rcbearings.com/products/m...5-bearing.html

... or eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ftr...aring&_sacat=0

... and be sure to check out Natedogz Ascender build when you have a chance:

Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:21 AM   #2483

Hey everyone, Im Jake, I currently own 2 HB p1001 1:10 crawlers, i use to own a scx-10 but just recently got back into crawling , Im from cincinnati
JM-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 04:20 PM   #2484

Thanks a ton, will look into it!
Already love this forum!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Welcome Joe! I'm sure you'll enjoy the Ascender as it's easily one of the top crawlers.

You can make your servo last a lot longer by replacing the stock servo's bushing with a 6x10x2.5mm bearing from AvidRC:

MR106 Bearing, 6mm x10mm x2mm Ball Bearing, 6x10x2 Bearings

... or eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_ftr...aring&_sacat=0

... and be sure to check out Natedogz Ascender build when you have a chance:

Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER
Crawl_Tide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #2485

Hi all,

Of course another newbie here. I got my RC feet wet with a couple of traxxas models, which were pretty good offroad but "way too fast" to be much fun except when racing or doing stunt jumps. Rock crawling, though, more closely resembles offroad driving, which you do at low speed for safety and controllability. So after a few years off, and a move across the country from Seattle to Indiana*, I made the switch to rock crawling. (* me = Purdue engineering PhD student.)

The guys down at the local hobby store seemed pretty uninterested in rock crawling, saying it was "boring" and that they didn't sell many crawlers. Customers here like "fast" stuff. Hey, that makes sense, we're somewhat close to Indianapolis after all. I, for one, am interested not only in rock crawling by itself--as a substitute for offroad 4x4 driving** --but wish to eventually build a somewhat autonomous planetary rover, and what better platform than something that doesn't roll easily and can get over obstacles? (** I'm too chicken to drive my Land Rover Disco II offroad. It's my daily driver and needs constant TLC.)

From lurking I see this world is highly technical and mechanical. My engineering background doesn't help me much here; I've so much to learn about steering setups, shock and spring locations, why links are where they are, etc. Fortunately I do know a little about NiMH batteries (LiPo kind of scares me) and ESC's. (Those little boxes that make the whining sound as you drive.) But optimum weight distributions for rock crawling? How about where to put the barbie doll? I am clueless.

Obligatory list!
- Bought a Traxxas Buggy (used, craigslist) and Slash about 7 years ago, just before the 4wd Slash came out. I liked 2wd fine but it couldn't get over complex terrain and wasn't as fast around corners compared to 4wd racers.
- I gave these away, gratis, to local friends before moving from the west coast. (*Karma!*)
- I have two little (not micro) drones that take truly terrible videos.
- Have one slightly better drone that shoots first-person video and displays it on my smartphone. But this one is easily blown by the wind, which pretty much blows constantly around here. (We are downwind of a major windfarm.)

Oh, almost forgot:
- Just bought a Redcat Gen7 (Everest Pro). My first mod: remove the spare tire off the roof. Battery is charging in my office as we speak. But it's about 0 degrees F out, no country for old men.

Anyone from the Purdue U. area have recommendations on where to run a rock crawler, please let me know! Else I'll just bring it with me on the trails. At least it can drive faster than I walk. ;)

See ya around!
RoverTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 10:11 PM   #2486
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM-RC View Post
Hey everyone, Im Jake, I currently own 2 HB p1001 1:10 crawlers, i use to own a scx-10 but just recently got back into crawling , Im from cincinnati
Hey Jake, welcome to RCC. I couldn't find much on the p1001 online, but it looks like a MOA (motor on axle) with 1.9 inch tires. How do you like them compared to your old Scx10?
Old 12-27-2017, 10:33 PM   #2487
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoverTom View Post
Hi all,

Of course another newbie here. I got my RC feet wet with a couple of traxxas models, which were pretty good offroad but "way too fast" to be much fun except when racing or doing stunt jumps. Rock crawling, though, more closely resembles offroad driving, which you do at low speed for safety and controllability. So after a few years off, and a move across the country from Seattle to Indiana*, I made the switch to rock crawling. (* me = Purdue engineering PhD student.)

The guys down at the local hobby store seemed pretty uninterested in rock crawling, saying it was "boring" and that they didn't sell many crawlers. Customers here like "fast" stuff. Hey, that makes sense, we're somewhat close to Indianapolis after all. I, for one, am interested not only in rock crawling by itself--as a substitute for offroad 4x4 driving** --but wish to eventually build a somewhat autonomous planetary rover, and what better platform than something that doesn't roll easily and can get over obstacles? (** I'm too chicken to drive my Land Rover Disco II offroad. It's my daily driver and needs constant TLC.)

From lurking I see this world is highly technical and mechanical. My engineering background doesn't help me much here; I've so much to learn about steering setups, shock and spring locations, why links are where they are, etc. Fortunately I do know a little about NiMH batteries (LiPo kind of scares me) and ESC's. (Those little boxes that make the whining sound as you drive.) But optimum weight distributions for rock crawling? How about where to put the barbie doll? I am clueless.

Obligatory list!
- Bought a Traxxas Buggy (used, craigslist) and Slash about 7 years ago, just before the 4wd Slash came out. I liked 2wd fine but it couldn't get over complex terrain and wasn't as fast around corners compared to 4wd racers.
- I gave these away, gratis, to local friends before moving from the west coast. (*Karma!*)
- I have two little (not micro) drones that take truly terrible videos.
- Have one slightly better drone that shoots first-person video and displays it on my smartphone. But this one is easily blown by the wind, which pretty much blows constantly around here. (We are downwind of a major windfarm.)

Oh, almost forgot:
- Just bought a Redcat Gen7 (Everest Pro). My first mod: remove the spare tire off the roof. Battery is charging in my office as we speak. But it's about 0 degrees F out, no country for old men.

Anyone from the Purdue U. area have recommendations on where to run a rock crawler, please let me know! Else I'll just bring it with me on the trails. At least it can drive faster than I walk. ;)

See ya around!
Welcome Tom! I'm sure you'll enjoy your Gen7. You can find some more info including increasing steering mods here:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redcat-crawlers/

... and maybe find some peeps to crawl with here:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/indiana/

Are you much of a college basketball fan? Will you attend the Purdue home games?
Old 12-28-2017, 07:05 AM   #2488

Quote:
Welcome Tom! I'm sure you'll enjoy your Gen7. You can find some more info including increasing steering mods here:

RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech - Redcat Crawlers at RCCrawler.com

... and maybe find some peeps to crawl with here:

Midwest - Indiana at RCCrawler.com

Are you much of a college basketball fan? Will you attend the Purdue home games?
Thanks for the links Stomper!

I'm more a football guy...which is unfortunate given Purdue...but I follow the Badgers!
RoverTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:35 AM   #2489

Quote:
Hey Jake, welcome to RCC. I couldn't find much on the p1001 online, but it looks like a MOA (motor on axle) with 1.9 inch tires. How do you like them compared to your old Scx10?
Honestly I love my SCX compared to these, they are definitely a sub par base to start with , I bought two of them for under $80. I already have everything to make it less sub par. switching out to a Flysky FS-GT3B tx/rx to add proportionate steering paired with a Power HD 20kg servo . Adding a Tritonic (esc-1060wp) for proportionate throttle also . In the process of designing my own adapter plate for the servo along with custom offset and designed 3d printed wheels .
JM-RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:59 AM   #2490

What’s up everyone. Decided to finally get myself my first rig. I decided on a Axial Yeti 1/10 rock racer on advice from a friend. I ordered a couple extra batteries and got a charger. I was wondering what upgrades are worth while if I decide to go that route. Any info would be appreciated!

Ryan from Washington state.
Swapmeetlouie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #2491
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapmeetlouie View Post
What’s up everyone. Decided to finally get myself my first rig. I decided on a Axial Yeti 1/10 rock racer on advice from a friend. I ordered a couple extra batteries and got a charger. I was wondering what upgrades are worth while if I decide to go that route. Any info would be appreciated!

Ryan from Washington state.
Hi and gratz to the yeti.you will find many infos in the yeti section.
lot of build threads
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:35 PM   #2492

Hey all,
I got my first crawler 2 weeks ago (vaterra ascender) lightly used and almost box stock. I really like it. im about to put some money into it. ive got a few buddies that are way more involved in crawling and im mostly a street car guy so ive got a lot of catching up to do
were In southeastern Massachusetts.
3 x a charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 03:32 PM   #2493

Tye from Washington. I have several Crawlers. I just started competing. I have a V2.5 Toyzuki as my class 2 rig. In the process of building a class 1. Anyway I'm glad to be here!
KreepNcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:46 PM   #2494

G'day from Queensland Australia,
Have just picked up a crawler king so I'll be scouring the hpi section for tips and info.
Cheers,
Billy.
Bi11y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:54 PM   #2495
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 x a charm View Post
Hey all,
I got my first crawler 2 weeks ago (vaterra ascender) lightly used and almost box stock. I really like it. im about to put some money into it. ive got a few buddies that are way more involved in crawling and im mostly a street car guy so ive got a lot of catching up to do
were In southeastern Massachusetts.
Welcome 3x! What will you do first to your Ascender? Did you find Natedog's build: Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER
Old 12-31-2017, 01:01 AM   #2496
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bi11y View Post
G'day from Queensland Australia,
Have just picked up a crawler king so I'll be scouring the hpi section for tips and info.
Cheers,
Billy.
Welcome Billy! How are things in the land down under? I have good memories of my visit with friends there, including marveling at the koalas and other wildlife. Where'd you find your Crawler King; I thought they were extinct? Are parts still made for them? http://www.hpiracing.com/en/kit/102115
Old 12-31-2017, 01:04 AM   #2497
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KreepNcrawl View Post
Tye from Washington. I have several Crawlers. I just started competing. I have a V2.5 Toyzuki as my class 2 rig. In the process of building a class 1. Anyway I'm glad to be here!
Hey Tye, glad you found us! Post up a pic of your Toyzuki, and do a build thread on your class 1 so we can cheer you on!
Old 01-03-2018, 09:40 PM   #2498

Hay new here , my name is Troy and i am in Salem Oregon. Just picked up an Axial Wraith 2 days ago and luvin it....will do some scale mods and upgrades. When I bought it i got the metal steering link and servo arm , seams everyone everywhere recommended that out of the box... Just installed a roof rack and lights today but as luck would have it one LED was bad.... New to crawlers but do have other RCs . We have a Traxxas slash platinum, Traxxas Bigfoot , a hobby king SCT for bashing and must say for $100 buck it is great. also have 2 old tamiya M3 chassis cars one Mini Cooper and one I converted to RWD for a Datsun Sunny 1200

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7mn8UWWAMPjo71G13 could not post pic so here is a link to my rc cars and trucks
ctmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 11:44 PM   #2499
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctmandu View Post
Hay new here , my name is Troy and i am in Salem Oregon. Just picked up an Axial Wraith 2 days ago and luvin it....will do some scale mods and upgrades. When I bought it i got the metal steering link and servo arm , seams everyone everywhere recommended that out of the box... Just installed a roof rack and lights today but as luck would have it one LED was bad.... New to crawlers but do have other RCs . We have a Traxxas slash platinum, Traxxas Bigfoot , a hobby king SCT for bashing and must say for $100 buck it is great. also have 2 old tamiya M3 chassis cars one Mini Cooper and one I converted to RWD for a Datsun Sunny 1200

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7mn8UWWAMPjo71G13 could not post pic so here is a link to my rc cars and trucks
Loving that Mini
The Wraith section here is crammed full of advice which you'll get practically every question answered you could think of.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:25 AM   #2500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawler Cads View Post
Loving that Mini
The Wraith section here is crammed full of advice which you'll get practically every question answered you could think of.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Thank you. I love the old minis as I have had 3 of them in my life time and old warbirds so it was an obvious choice to paint it that way for me. Everyone seams to like it.
ctmandu is offline   Reply With Quote