Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #2521

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

New member from VA here. Used to be into the RC world back in the 90s as a teenager. Got out of it in the late 90s and into the full size crawlers and rock racing until I messed up my back and had kids. Now the kids are old enough to play with the rc crawlers and my full size buggy is sitting parked by the barn.

Started out with a couple cheap 1/18th scale crawlers as Christmas presents for the kids. They broke both in a week. Upgraded them both to the Everest 10 crawlers and then picked up a wraith for the wife and a yeti for myself. I had forgotten how fun this stuff can be. As a bonus when i break the 1/10 scale ride it doesn't cost 1k to fix it every time like the full size ones do.
VA4WD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2018, 08:29 PM   #2522
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonper View Post
Hi, I am Gonzalo from Spain. I am new to the forum but not to the hobby. I have been designing, constructing and piloting RC cars, planes and helicopters. I designed my first RC car when I was 13 years old and that was 35 years ago...

I lately come interested on Rock-Crawlers, mainly on the superclass, because I think it is the more technically advanced.

Already started a design/building thread here: Crazy axles idea design

My mother tong is not English, so please forgive me if you find errors on my posts, hope they are understandable.

One question for administrators/moderators, I tried to post a reply at this thread that I started http://www.rccrawler.com/forum...6-c...ea-design.html but my new reply does not apear.

Did I missed something?
Welcome Gonper! Glad you could join us. For many of us English is a second language; no worries. For some of us (@ferp420) it is our mother tongue but we still struggle with spelling mistakes, punctuation, and capitalization.

Give the moderators some time and I'm sure they'll approve your post (right @EeePee?).
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #2523
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA4WD View Post
New member from VA here. Used to be into the RC world back in the 90s as a teenager. Got out of it in the late 90s and into the full size crawlers and rock racing until I messed up my back and had kids. Now the kids are old enough to play with the rc crawlers and my full size buggy is sitting parked by the barn.

Started out with a couple cheap 1/18th scale crawlers as Christmas presents for the kids. They broke both in a week. Upgraded them both to the Everest 10 crawlers and then picked up a wraith for the wife and a yeti for myself. I had forgotten how fun this stuff can be. As a bonus when i break the 1/10 scale ride it doesn't cost 1k to fix it every time like the full size ones do.
Welcome to the party, VA4WD! Sorry to hear about your back. :( Is it better now? I too have kids with crawlers, but I haven't been able to get the wife interested like you; kudos.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:55 AM   #2524

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Welcome to the party, VA4WD! Sorry to hear about your back. :( Is it better now? I too have kids with crawlers, but I haven't been able to get the wife interested like you; kudos.
Back is better than it was. I think she is into just to get the family time.
VA4WD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:27 PM   #2525
Quarry Creeper

Hi all my name is Tod I’ve been into rc truggies for a long time . My first real rc was a brand new losi xxt and I pimpped the heck out of her all the best stuff as there was a hobby shop with an indoor track close to my home town. Well said shop went belly up so I decided to sell my truck. Years past and I had purchased a few diff trucks ,cars and buggys but none made me happy as the xxt I mean the thing drove like a dream, and of course I spent a lot of money on her. Well recently I had been helping a friend work on his house here and there . Unexpectedly he got me a vintage losi xxt I was ecstatic as the thoughts of my youth were starting to rekindle but low and behold the “winter “ thing had to happen. So I’ve been messing with it a bunch , my friend says “ we should get crawlers for in the winter time.” I thought to myself that it seemed a little stupid and tacky. So one day we were supposed to work on his house instead he detours and takes us to a local hobby shop and says “ what crawler are you getting?” I really didn’t have the money for that right then and there so I said I was just going to browse for stuff for my xxt he just got me., well we split up while we were lookin at all the neat stuff and he went and got me a losi night crawler 2.0 and took it to the car when I couldn’t see him. So bla bla bla I fell in total love with the rig it’s great it does exactly what it says it is “ it crawls” . But me being me I can’t leave well enough alone , but I am saddened by the lack of parts upgrade / replacement alike so if anyone can help an old guy out in this sport I’ll take any tips advice and parts you want to throw at me. As of right now I have about 500 pieces of a LNC on my bench awaiting a few items I could find.
Thanx for now ,
Tod Robinson
Ps
I’m not a mooch I’ll pay for any items I’m just saying I can’t find s#|t on the net for the LNC OR LCC
Rattzo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 10:59 PM   #2526
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattzo1 View Post
Hi all my name is Tod I’ve been into rc truggies for a long time . My first real rc was a brand new losi xxt and I pimpped the heck out of her all the best stuff as there was a hobby shop with an indoor track close to my home town. Well said shop went belly up so I decided to sell my truck. Years past and I had purchased a few diff trucks ,cars and buggys but none made me happy as the xxt I mean the thing drove like a dream, and of course I spent a lot of money on her. Well recently I had been helping a friend work on his house here and there . Unexpectedly he got me a vintage losi xxt I was ecstatic as the thoughts of my youth were starting to rekindle but low and behold the “winter “ thing had to happen. So I’ve been messing with it a bunch , my friend says “ we should get crawlers for in the winter time.” I thought to myself that it seemed a little stupid and tacky. So one day we were supposed to work on his house instead he detours and takes us to a local hobby shop and says “ what crawler are you getting?” I really didn’t have the money for that right then and there so I said I was just going to browse for stuff for my xxt he just got me., well we split up while we were lookin at all the neat stuff and he went and got me a losi night crawler 2.0 and took it to the car when I couldn’t see him. So bla bla bla I fell in total love with the rig it’s great it does exactly what it says it is “ it crawls” . But me being me I can’t leave well enough alone , but I am saddened by the lack of parts upgrade / replacement alike so if anyone can help an old guy out in this sport I’ll take any tips advice and parts you want to throw at me. As of right now I have about 500 pieces of a LNC on my bench awaiting a few items I could find.
Thanx for now ,
Tod Robinson
Ps
I’m not a mooch I’ll pay for any items I’m just saying I can’t find s#|t on the net for the LNC OR LCC
Hey Todd, welcome to the end of having money in your bank account! LOL Seriously though, it depends on what you want to do. If crawling really slow is ok, then the Losi should be fine. Here's some more info on them including parts availability: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/team-losi-comp-crawler/

If you want to go trailing (walking behind your Crawler on a trail), the Losi may prove slow due to the worm gears, which making the rig go fast using a speedy motor or high voltage battery would overheat the gears. In that case, you may want to consider selling the Losi and getting a $350 Vaterra Ascender or $200 Redcat Gen7; the latter includes a battery and charger.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:17 AM   #2527

Hello All,

Just getting back into RC after 20 years out of it. I like these new radios that allow a seemingly unlimited number of people to run at the same time. Back in 1977 when I first started you had a limited number of channels. You had to have a colored frequency flag on your antenna, yes, an antenna!

I purchased the Axial SCX10 v2 2017 Jeep Wrangler RTR. After installing the battery and firing it up the first time I watched as the tires wobbled left and right as they turned round and round. Are all these RTR's like this or was my kit built on a Monday? ;)

Are these tires easy to get mounted so they turn uniformly?

I did notice when squeezing them that they let air out so they are not glued on from the factory.

I have an Amazon order ready to be purchased with 4 new beadlock wheels and some KO2's for that scale look. I'll also purchase some more useful tires and mount them on the stock rims or beadlocks at a later time. First I'll try to get these tires mounted a little better. that wobble is very annoying.

Last edited by SmileyOr; 01-17-2018 at 12:52 PM.
SmileyOr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 08:00 PM   #2528
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyOr View Post
Hello All,

Just getting back into RC after 20 years out of it. I like these new radios that allow a seemingly unlimited number of people to run at the same time. Back in 1977 when I first started you had a limited number of channels. You had to have a colored frequency flag on your antenna, yes, an antenna!

I purchased the Axial SCX10 v2 2017 Jeep Wrangler RTR. After installing the battery and firing it up the first time I watched as the tires wobbled left and right as they turned round and round. Are all these RTR's like this or was my kit built on a Monday? ;)

Are these tires easy to get mounted so they turn uniformly?

I did notice when squeezing them that they let air out so they are not glued on from the factory.

I have an Amazon order ready to be purchased with 4 new beadlock wheels and some KO2's for that scale look. I'll also purchase some more useful tires and mount them on the stock rims or beadlocks at a later time. First I'll try to get these tires mounted a little better. that wobble is very annoying.
Welcome back Smiley! Yes I remember those flags, crystals, and colored pvc batons at the track; times have sure changed! I have an Scx10 ii as well and upgrading to beadlocks instead of glue-on rims; I like being able to adjust the foams, drain water, and change tires at will. I still need to shim the differentials for a tighter fit. Anyway, let us know if you need anything; most of us are pretty helpful.
Old 01-19-2018, 08:21 PM   #2529

New here, just got my first crawler (rc anyway). I had some fun in the snow today

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
redsand723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 11:16 PM   #2530
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsand723 View Post
New here, just got my first crawler (rc anyway). I had some fun in the snow today

Welcome aboard RS! If you haven't found it yet, here's the Redcat forum: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redcat-crawlers/ and the most informative thread on the E10 is probably this one: A deeper look within the Redcat Everest 10 crawler
Old 01-20-2018, 01:12 AM   #2531
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsand723 View Post

Welcome and great choice for your first crawler. I have many happy memories and seemingly endless crawl days with the E10.
Recommend you replace the wheels and tires as your first upgrade, it's make a world of difference.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
Crawler Cads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:13 AM   #2532

I'm new to the group and a little new to the crawling, I have a modded 1/16 scale Summit, and just recently purchased a TRX4, live in North Olmsted, Oh with a pretty good sized backyard. I have been looking around on here for some track building ideas and can't seem to find much with that. Could someone guide me to some backyard ideas if there are any on here? Thanks!
GWTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 07:44 AM   #2533
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWTony View Post
I'm new to the group and a little new to the crawling, I have a modded 1/16 scale Summit, and just recently purchased a TRX4, live in North Olmsted, Oh with a pretty good sized backyard. I have been looking around on here for some track building ideas and can't seem to find much with that. Could someone guide me to some backyard ideas if there are any on here? Thanks!
welcome
here you can find a thread for backyard crawler courses:
Backyard Crawler Course
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #2534

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
welcome
here you can find a thread for backyard crawler courses:
Backyard Crawler Course
Thanks for the link.
GWTony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 10:19 PM   #2535

Wazzup! I am from Oregon, just recently got back into RC. I have a nitro car i recently rebuilt (curb accident) LOL
But today decided to order me a Redcat Everest 10 and plan on modding it out pretty hard. Im so glad to have found this forum. I have been lurking for a while and have learned a lot already from here. I look forward to hopefully sharing and learning even more.
Psychobunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:48 PM   #2536
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychobunny View Post
Wazzup! I am from Oregon, just recently got back into RC. I have a nitro car i recently rebuilt (curb accident) LOL
But today decided to order me a Redcat Everest 10 and plan on modding it out pretty hard. Im so glad to have found this forum. I have been lurking for a while and have learned a lot already from here. I look forward to hopefully sharing and learning even more.
Welcome PB! I'm sure you will enjoy rebuilding the E10 into a comp crawler or monster truck. If you are looking for something more scale then the $200 Gen7 Sport is a cheap option. Either way, here's the forum section that you'll probably spend most of your time in: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/redcat-crawlers/
Old 01-23-2018, 04:27 PM   #2537

I'm Bill in Montgomery,Al waiting on my Honcho to be delivered. I've been lurking for about a week. Ready to do some crawling.
BAMA JAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:25 PM   #2538
RCC Addict

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAMA JAMA View Post
I'm Bill in Montgomery,Al waiting on my Honcho to be delivered. I've been lurking for about a week. Ready to do some crawling.
Welcome Bill! You've probably already found the Scx10 ii section, but in case you haven't it's here: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx10-ii/ For that Honcho I'd recommend some cheap beadlocks from eBay so you don't kick yourself l8er for gluing them to the included rims. Many people around here run CVDs, upgraded high-torque metal-geared servos, wp-1080 or wp-1060 ESCs, and 3s 2200mah batteries. Let us know if you need help finding something. Myself I run these (the beadlocks come with a set of fake Super Swamper tires, or you can find them even cheaper without the tires):
PS Here's an ongoing Honcho build you may want to follow: SVT's Budget Honcho Build Off Entry

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 01-23-2018 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:30 PM   #2539

Hi all, new to crawling...love it...but would like to go and watch an event or go to a camp out in California but it seams most events listed are very old. Where can you find current events in California...northern if possible
Thanks
Trevor
ts55dlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 09:35 PM   #2540
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts55dlx View Post
Hi all, new to crawling...love it...but would like to go and watch an event or go to a camp out in California but it seams most events listed are very old. Where can you find current events in California...northern if possible
Thanks
Trevor
Welcome to the club!

Take a look here and see if you find what you're looking for.
West - California at RCCrawler.com
EZCompany is offline   Reply With Quote