Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2018, 10:26 PM   #2541

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

Hello.... I am a Noob. I live in the general Vancouver BC Canada area. Seb's RC is my local RC Shop. I just bought my first RC Truck a TRX-4. and for the past two days at home and at work I have been reading this forum so thanks for the knowledge I have gained, and the confusion you have added. I have taken great notes to bounce off of Sen when I stop in again.
bob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2018, 11:13 PM   #2542
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_b View Post
Hello.... I am a Noob. I live in the general Vancouver BC Canada area. Seb's RC is my local RC Shop. I just bought my first RC Truck a TRX-4. and for the past two days at home and at work I have been reading this forum so thanks for the knowledge I have gained, and the confusion you have added. I have taken great notes to bounce off of Sen when I stop in again.
Welcome Bob! Great to have another Canuck on here; love you guys, beautiful BC, and ice hockey!

Let us know how you like your trx-4 and if you need help finding anything. Some helpful sub-forums might be:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxxas-trx-4/

... and

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/canada/
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 08:42 AM   #2543

First post on RC Crawler forums, just thought I'd say hi to everybody. I'm from southeast Wisconsin and I'm new to crawling but not new to rc. There's a ton of great info on here and can't wait to play on the rocks!
Carbonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 09:59 PM   #2544
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbonman View Post
First post on RC Crawler forums, just thought I'd say hi to everybody. I'm from southeast Wisconsin and I'm new to crawling but not new to rc. There's a ton of great info on here and can't wait to play on the rocks!
Welcome to the crawling addiction! What rig are you driving? I hope you can find some peeps to run with here: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/wisconsin/
Old 02-01-2018, 08:29 AM   #2545

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Welcome to the crawling addiction! What rig are you driving? I hope you can find some peeps to run with here: Midwest - Wisconsin at RCCrawler.com
I picked up a Traxxas TRX 4 and a SCX10 II kit...
I will be attending my first event this weekend so hopefully I'll meet some people too crawl with...
Attached Images

Carbonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:34 AM   #2546

Who you are? Jeremy

What kind of rig you have? Axial 1/10 SCX10 Deadbolt

Where you live? Evansville, IN

So a bit of info on me. I am 46, not much of a newbie to R/Cs, but to a crawler r/c. I used to race when I was 9 till I was 16 (Tamiya Big Foot and Hot Shot). I owned a hobby store from 89 to 92. I have many r/c toys, 2 HPI savages, Tiger nitro Ducati, Tamiya cars of all kind, Losi 1/16 and now I got the Axial crawler. I want to fix it up, the last guy ( a person that posted this on FB for sale says it has upgraded diff, trans and 4 link. I am about to get into it soon and see. I know I want brushless and spent the past hour looking here and google. I have now joined here, joined Holmes Hobbie site and following Holmes on FB. I will have a lot to ask and learn on the crawler. Looking forawrd to everyone input and showing off the build as it happens.

Last edited by WerxRacing; 02-03-2018 at 03:08 PM.
WerxRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 08:27 PM   #2547
RCC Addict

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;l t;

Quote:
Originally Posted by WerxRacing View Post
Who you are? Jeremy

What kind of rig you have? Axial 1/10 SCX10 Deadbolt

Where you live? Evansville, IN

So a bit of info on me. I am 46, not much of a newbie to R/Cs, but to a crawler r/c. I used to race when I was 9 till I was 16 (Tamiya Big Foot and Hot Shot). I owned a hobby store from 89 to 92. I have many r/c toys, 2 HPI savages, Tiger nitro Ducati, Tamiya cars of all kind, Losi 1/16 and now I got the Axial crawler. I want to fix it up, the last guy ( a person that posted this on FB for sale says it has upgraded diff, trans and 4 link. I am about to get into it soon and see. I know I want brushless and spent the past hour looking here and google. I have now joined here, joined Holmes Hobbie site and following Holmes on FB. I will have a lot to ask and learn on the crawler. Looking forawrd to everyone input and showing off the build as it happens.
Welcome Jeremy! I'm sure you'll enjoy the Scx10 OG. Does it have the green body and stock electronics? You could start a rebuild thread here if you wanted to show us your progress and get input:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/

Before you drop the dime on a brushless system, I recommend you consider going 3s lipo and 21-turn 550-size brushed motor first as it will likely be more than enough speed and torque. Brushless systems generally have issues with low speeds, as well as making the rig unstable at higher speeds.

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 02-03-2018 at 08:30 PM.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:03 AM   #2548
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Who you are?
I like to keep my real life and my online names seperate, 'C6' works fine.

Quote:
What kind of rig you have?
Tons of fun models, but nothing scale or trail. Yet. But I'll prolly have a Kong RC CA-10 when my tax return drops. Most of my hobby grade experience is with glow powered stuff so this thing'll be pretty much day one all over again, but I'm already positive I want a BL power system and 2s 7400mAh lipos to push it along for literal hours on end. And one of my dreams is to build a glow powered crawler, a glow powered 1/14-1/12 truck, basically challenge the notion that you can't wheel with an engine.

Quote:
Where you live?
Rural Nowhere, TN
JennyC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:25 AM   #2549
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyC6 View Post
I like to keep my real life and my online names seperate, 'C6' works fine.

Tons of fun models, but nothing scale or trail. Yet. But I'll prolly have a Kong RC CA-10 when my tax return drops. Most of my hobby grade experience is with glow powered stuff so this thing'll be pretty much day one all over again, but I'm already positive I want a BL power system and 2s 7400mAh lipos to push it along for literal hours on end. And one of my dreams is to build a glow powered crawler, a glow powered 1/14-1/12 truck, basically challenge the notion that you can't wheel with an engine.

Rural Nowhere, TN
Hey C6, welcome to RCC! Glad you found us. That's certainly a unique vehicle to run; I'd never heard of it before until you mentioned it and I Googled it. If you don't mind me asking, what's the history behind your infatuation with it?

https://www.asiatees.com/display?bra...=All&id=147954

Old 02-05-2018, 04:45 AM   #2550
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Hey C6, welcome to RCC! Glad you found us. That's certainly a unique vehicle to run; I'd never heard of it before until you mentioned it and I Googled it. If you don't mind me asking, what's the history behind your infatuation with it?

https://www.asiatees.com/display?bra...=All&id=147954

Yup, that's the one. Pretty thing. As for why I want it? Mmm, A few things come to mind:

* I wanted a rig with open diffs. I find it will give me more of a challenge with less backbreaking trail design necessary when I'm puttering around in the mud(Doubly so since it's not even AWD!), and I feel itt'l give me more predictable/forgiving handling when I finally get out of the mud and dig into the meaty end of the throttle for some 'highway driving'.

* I've been salivating over Tamiya's 1/14th semi trucks for over 15 years but those damned things might as well be made of solid 24 karat gold for how affordable they are. I can get a CA-10 + BL motor(Prolly 5400-5700kv, I want a top speed of ~20MPH and on 2s that comes out to 5400kv BL motor or 13t brushed) + ESC + lipo(Planning on 2s 7400mAh so I can drive the thing literally all day long on a single charge) + Spectrum AR600 receiver + steering servo for roughly the base price of a Tamiya Globe Liner. And god help you if you want a King Hauler, damn things cost nearly 700 bucks. I didn't even pay that much for my 1:1 daily driver! This truck will scratch that itch nicely as well. yet it won't break the bank.

* It looks like something one might actually be able to drive on public roads. I find that appealing in a scale/trail rig. The ones that can twist themselves into pretzels and just about climb a vertical wall are impressive as hell, but I'd much rather have one that can barely climb a 35 degree slope and look like something one might be able to drive every day.

* It looks awesome.

* The options to customize it are nearly endless, too, as I'm sure I could adapt the myriad of 1/14th semi parts to make it my own. 4wd conversion, in particular, looks pretty easy, and I can always swap the rear axle out with one of the many aftermarket semi axles that has a cable-operated diff lock. Wheel and tire options are also pretty good, and in fact, I've already found some rather nice looking tires that I might put on it if I don't much care for the milspec tread the stock tires have.

* I've also never built a kit before. Not an RC kit, anyway. I've come close, my rally-modded NTC3 was sold as a rolling chassis, my aircraft was sold as an ARF, and I've converted some static /35th tank models to RC, but I've never had a legit RC kit before.

I just gotta wait on the IRS To give me back some money so I can grab it and the electronics ittl need. Thankfully I don't need a full radio, I'll use the same DX-6i I use with my NTC3, my aircraft, and soon(Once I overhaul its electronics) my OG Tamiya Hornet.

Last edited by JennyC6; 02-05-2018 at 04:53 AM.
JennyC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 06:48 PM   #2551
Rock Stacker

Hello there,

My name is Adam From Raleigh, NC. I have only recently got in to the crawling portion of RC. I have recently bought the Vaterra Ascender Bronco. So far I have found it to be alot of fun! Of course there are some quirks I found and hope to find answers here. Thanks!
BroNCo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 07:31 PM   #2552
Rock Stacker

Hey everyone Im Bobby from Metro Detroit Michigan. Been into crawlers for a while and finally joined the forum to be apart of the fun. I got into crawling with a SCX10 years ago and had to sell it, now Ive got a Vaterra Ascender K10 and Im digging it. Hope to learn from all of you and share the knowledge. See you in the threads!
BrokeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 08:12 PM   #2553
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroNCo85 View Post
Hello there,

My name is Adam From Raleigh, NC. I have only recently got in to the crawling portion of RC. I have recently bought the Vaterra Ascender Bronco. So far I have found it to be alot of fun! Of course there are some quirks I found and hope to find answers here. Thanks!
Welcome Adam! The Vaterra Ascender is a great choice. There are some excellent threads on here to help you make the most of yours:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-ascender/

...and help you find some ppl to run with:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/north-carolina/
Old 02-05-2018, 08:15 PM   #2554
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokeBob View Post
Hey everyone Im Bobby from Metro Detroit Michigan. Been into crawlers for a while and finally joined the forum to be apart of the fun. I got into crawling with a SCX10 years ago and had to sell it, now Ive got a Vaterra Ascender K10 and Im digging it. Hope to learn from all of you and share the knowledge. See you in the threads!
Welcome to RCC Bobby! I think you'll like it here. Peeps are generally friendly and helpful, for example, here are some Ascender ideas:

Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER

...and people in your area to crawl with:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/michigan/
Old 02-05-2018, 08:18 PM   #2555
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Welcome to RCC Bobby! I think you'll like it here. Peeps are generally friendly and helpful, for example, here are some Ascender ideas:

Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER

...and people in your area to crawl with:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/michigan/

Thank you! Much appreciated. I’ve been all over natedogs build since I bought my Ascender lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BrokeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 01:29 PM   #2556
Rock Stacker

Thanks!

I have found things that are useful but onward to more searches!

Quote:
Welcome Adam! The Vaterra Ascender is a great choice. There are some excellent threads on here to help you make the most of yours:

Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech - Vaterra Ascender at RCCrawler.com

...and help you find some ppl to run with:

Southeast - North Carolina at RCCrawler.com
BroNCo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #2557

New to the forum, but not new to rc crawling

Hey I’m justin, I’m from south jordan Utah. I first got into crawling back in 2009. Currently I only have one crawler. It is an axial scx10 ii. Hoping to learn from a lot of you and share my knowledge when available.
Laloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 08:09 PM   #2558
RCC Addict

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laloyd View Post
New to the forum, but not new to rc crawling

Hey I’m justin, I’m from south jordan Utah. I first got into crawling back in 2009. Currently I only have one crawler. It is an axial scx10 ii. Hoping to learn from a lot of you and share my knowledge when available.
Welcome Justin! I'm sure you'll enjoy scouring RCC. I have learned so much here about my Scx10 ii as well as other rigs. Here are a couple of links to get you started:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx10-ii/

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/utah/
Old 02-07-2018, 04:07 PM   #2559

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;l t;

Quote:
Welcome Jeremy! I'm sure you'll enjoy the Scx10 OG. Does it have the green body and stock electronics? You could start a rebuild thread here if you wanted to show us your progress and get input:
Yep, green body ( I was looking at how to post pics or even one for my profile pic). The guy claims the diffs have been upgraded. the electronics are stock. Looks like the 4 links are upgraded or just changed.

I think I will do a build thread once I decide on my parts, great suggestion. Than you
WerxRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 05:22 PM   #2560

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Hi all, I'm Luke from MD. I'm looking to get into RC crawling. I've been into full scale trail and rock crawling for years with my 92 YJ.

Unfortunately there aren't trails very close by and it takes a lot of time and money so I only get out about once a year. I recently came across a magazine article about the TRX-4 and it got me curious what else is out there. I've been bingeing YouTube and review sites for days. Being a total RC newb, I want something reasonably priced and easy to work on and get parts for. Seems like axial is the obvious go-to but I've been looking at Ascender lately too and I'm leaning towards the RTR K10. It did well in the Big Squid shootout , particularly in the rock crawling category. Every video I watch changes my mind though so we'll see. Seems like a good way to get outside and drive over stuff in between wheeling trips.

Last edited by LCJP; 02-11-2018 at 05:27 PM.
LCJP is offline   Reply With Quote