Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Newbie General

Notices

Thread: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2018, 08:04 PM   #2561
RCC Addict

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE&amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;&amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;&amp;a mp;amp;amp;l t;&amp;amp;amp;amp;l t;&amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;&amp;amp;amp;amp;l t;

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCJP View Post
Hi all, I'm Luke from MD. I'm looking to get into RC crawling. I've been into full scale trail and rock crawling for years with my 92 YJ.

Unfortunately there aren't trails very close by and it takes a lot of time and money so I only get out about once a year. I recently came across a magazine article about the TRX-4 and it got me curious what else is out there. I've been bingeing YouTube and review sites for days. Being a total RC newb, I want something reasonably priced and easy to work on and get parts for. Seems like axial is the obvious go-to but I've been looking at Ascender lately too and I'm leaning towards the RTR K10. It did well in the Big Squid shootout , particularly in the rock crawling category. Every video I watch changes my mind though so we'll see. Seems like a good way to get outside and drive over stuff in between wheeling trips.
Welcome Luke! Love your Jeep BTW. There are lots of 1/10 crawler options out there ATM with more arriving each month: Hobao "DC-1" whenever they're released, Redcat Gen7 Pro, Vaterra "Ascender" v1.0, ECX Barrage, MST CFX, Carisma SCA-1E, Axial Scx10 ii, HPI "Venture", Traxxas TRX-4, Cross RC DemonSG4C, Gmade, and Rc4wd TF2, Gelande, or the new Terrain!

Choosing the right one depends on your priorities really: your local club's class (1.9, 2.2, C1, C2, C3) popularity (check here: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/maryland/), parts availability (local and online, in-country and out), scale-ness, design, durability, performance, looks, etc.

Our family has an Axial Ax10 mutt, Scx10 OG Honcho, and Scx10 ii Cherokee. The Ascender v2.0 (whenever it comes out) and 3Racing "Ex Real" are both on my short list.

I'm waiting for the next version of the excellently-performing Vaterra Ascender that addresses the minor issue of torque twist, although it can be either dealt with or ignored in the v1.0. For a ready to run (RTR) vehicle, the Ascender v1.0 is a great choice and is currently on $40 off (with coupon HHSS40) during February here: https://www.rpphobby.com/Articles.asp?ID=247 You'll still need at least batteries and a charger (depending on which Ascender you choose), so look at the list below for ideas on those.

If the Ascender ii doesn't release before I've saved my pennies, I'll probably go with the $200 (shipped on eBay) "Ex Real" body-less kit by 3Racing that includes 2-speed tranny, forward-mounted motor, beadlock wheels, stealth body mounts, big bore metal shocks, CMS, adjustable wheelbase, 7mm metal links, front universals, and 35t motor:

http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...3#.Wn57NSNRU0P

You said you wanted good parts availability, so maybe this isn't for you since it was just released, but 3Racing should be able to keep up with parts support as they've been around for years.. There's a build thread here if you're interested: 3Racing Crawler Ex (EX Real)

To complete the kit, I'll likely use:

$4 Xt60 connectors for ESC and motor
$5 qty 100 of M2x6mm button head Hex silver bolts (can't stand the gold beadlock hardware!)
$11 lipo 3s 2200mah Turnigy batteries from Hobbyking x2 ~90 minutes of runtime
$12 JX 6621 20KG metal gear servo (not 360) from Banggood high torque
$14 body from Banggood $1.50 shipping
$15 power supply 15v 7a from Hobbyking for charger
$16/40 WP-1060/1080 ESC from eBay depending on whether I go cheap or more drag brake options and stronger BEC
$32 Accucel-6 charger 80w from Hobbyking brand that I've used for years
$50 Flysky GT3C radio from eBay that's hackable to 8 channels and 99-model memory, just like my GT3B

Total including batteries and charger: $359

If you need a tool set to work on your rig, I recommend:
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/kxst0051.htm

If you get a rig that doesn't include beadlock wheels, search eBay for Austar beadlock; a set of 4 will run you $15, or $22 with fake Super Swamper tires.

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 02-11-2018 at 08:23 PM.
StomperCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-2018, 09:01 AM   #2562
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE<<<<<<

Freddie the Newbie here from the B.C. coast. I have a Yeti i converted to a Rob MacCachren trophy truck, a RR10 Bomber kit I'm collecting parts for a wicked build and a Wraith kit on its way. Lurked on RRCrawler for a couple years now have learned lots its a great site and thought i should get in on the action.
BACK40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 08:03 PM   #2563
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BACK40 View Post
Freddie the Newbie here from the B.C. coast. I have a Yeti i converted to a Rob MacCachren trophy truck, a RR10 Bomber kit I'm collecting parts for a wicked build and a Wraith kit on its way. Lurked on RRCrawler for a couple years now have learned lots its a great site and thought i should get in on the action.
Welcome Freddie! Glad you joined up. Wish I lived where you do; is gorgeous there in British Columbia! We look forward to seeing some pics of the land... with your rigs on it of course. ;)
Old 02-18-2018, 11:26 AM   #2564

Hey fellow enthusiast.

GarneauSCX10 here, currently in Afghanistan. Will be heading to Italy next for a few years.

I have a SCX10 II Honcho on order. I drive a Tacoma so it is natural for me to want a similar looking rig.

My wife wasn't too thrilled with me spending so much on a toy but as they say its easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Looking forward getting into this new hobby.

GarneauSCX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #2565

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE&amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;&amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;&amp;a mp;amp;amp;l t;&amp;amp;amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by StomperCrawler View Post
Sorry you missed the Ascender deal. :( If you have a local hobby shop, give em a call and see how much an Ascender will cost you. There's a $40 off manufacturer coupon available through February, plus n'online BnM stores can sell for less. Here's a set of RC size hex tools: http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/kxst0051.htm and if you scroll up to the post before yours you'll find some more good deals on various parts to complete your kit. Make sure you get a lipo charger that does balancing and storage mode; to keep your batteries healthy you have to use both. ;)
Thanks. I went to Motorama at the Harrisburg Farm Show and a vendor had a bunch of different Horizon cars. Of course I looked closely at the Ascenders but I also looked at the Losi Night Crawler and ultimately decided to jump in the shallow end and picked up an 1/18 ECX Temper. For the price, I think it will be a good starter. I haven't gotten out on the trail yet but played with some rocks around the house and it's been fun. The torque twist can be pretty bad and the tires could be softer but if I get into it I'm sure it won't take long to move up. But for $140 including battery it was hard to pass up. Of course I added a 2000mAh LiPo and multi chemistry charger...
LCJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 08:01 PM   #2566
RCC Addict

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE&amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;&amp;amp;amp;amp;lt;&amp;a mp;amp;amp;l t;&amp;amp;amp

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCJP View Post
Thanks. I went to Motorama at the Harrisburg Farm Show and a vendor had a bunch of different Horizon cars. Of course I looked closely at the Ascenders but I also looked at the Losi Night Crawler and ultimately decided to jump in the shallow end and picked up an 1/18 ECX Temper. For the price, I think it will be a good starter. I haven't gotten out on the trail yet but played with some rocks around the house and it's been fun. The torque twist can be pretty bad and the tires could be softer but if I get into it I'm sure it won't take long to move up. But for $140 including battery it was hard to pass up. Of course I added a 2000mAh LiPo and multi chemistry charger...
Sounds like a good deal. I've been studying the 10th scale ECX Barrage a bit myself; looks well-made. 18th scale will make larger objects more challenging, which can be half the fun! To help you with yours, here are some threads:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ECX+...Arccrawler.com
Old 02-19-2018, 01:19 PM   #2567

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarneauSCX10 View Post
Hey fellow enthusiast.

GarneauSCX10 here, currently in Afghanistan. Will be heading to Italy next for a few years.

I have a SCX10 II Honcho on order. I drive a Tacoma so it is natural for me to want a similar looking rig.

My wife wasn't too thrilled with me spending so much on a toy but as they say its easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

Welcome. It sure is fun hobby to be in. It seems like you're never really done as you always seem to find something else you want to do to it. Enjoy it. Honcho 2 is really cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
PounceTheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 10:11 PM   #2568
RCC Addict

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarneauSCX10 View Post
Hey fellow enthusiast.

Welcome Garneau! I think you'll like the Scx10 ii, except for the leaky shocks. I recommend picking up some Associated Green Slime and the silicone shock oil (some peeps just use ATF for full-size vehicles instead) weight of your choice to rebuild your shocks with in order to help them leak less, or just upgrade to trx-4 shocks.

If the wife complains, just tell her it's less expensive than buying and maintaining a 1:1 rig. ;)

So, Afghanistan huh? Then Italy? Military or state?

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 02-21-2018 at 09:53 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #2569

Another FNG checking in. I'm in Iowa, so there's a distinct lack of rocks around here, although judging by a Facebook group I'm in, we've got a small, active community of crawlers. I'm a plane guy mostly, and I've got two Slashes, one converted to a Backslash, and two Granites, that my stepkids and I (mostly I) bash with. I modifed the Granites with some Associated CVDs, since they seem to love eating dogbones.

A friend of mine and I were discussing long range FPV ground rigs the other day, and I stumbled face-first into crawlers. As the old saying goes, "Hook, line and sinker..." I started looking for budget crawlers and eventually stumbled across the Exceed stuff that seems to have a love/hate relationship in the crawler world. Ordered a 1/8 Mad Torque, since it was cheap and I could use it to gauge my interest. The aforementioned friend went for the 1/5 Maxstone. He's more interested in cruising around trails and such. We'll see how it goes. I also got the rear steering kit with the MT, and have a pair of Hitec 645MGs to use with it, that were laying around from another project. I've trawled some of the threads about this truck and will probably steal plenty of ideas I found in there.
wraith0078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 09:43 PM   #2570
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wraith0078 View Post
Another FNG checking in. I'm in Iowa, so there's a distinct lack of rocks around here, although judging by a Facebook group I'm in, we've got a small, active community of crawlers. I'm a plane guy mostly, and I've got two Slashes, one converted to a Backslash, and two Granites, that my stepkids and I (mostly I) bash with. I modifed the Granites with some Associated CVDs, since they seem to love eating dogbones.

A friend of mine and I were discussing long range FPV ground rigs the other day, and I stumbled face-first into crawlers. As the old saying goes, "Hook, line and sinker..." I started looking for budget crawlers and eventually stumbled across the Exceed stuff that seems to have a love/hate relationship in the crawler world. Ordered a 1/8 Mad Torque, since it was cheap and I could use it to gauge my interest. The aforementioned friend went for the 1/5 Maxstone. He's more interested in cruising around trails and such. We'll see how it goes. I also got the rear steering kit with the MT, and have a pair of Hitec 645MGs to use with it, that were laying around from another project. I've trawled some of the threads about this truck and will probably steal plenty of ideas I found in there.
Welcome 0078! Let us know how you like the Mad Torque. Here's a fun thread if you haven't read it yet:

Exceed mad torque 1/8 to 1/10 scale budget build!

... and you probably already found this, but in case you didn't:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/iowa/
Old 02-21-2018, 08:48 AM   #2571
Pebble Pounder

We'll add another new to crawler member number to the ranks. I've been into Nitro in the past but kind of fell away from it. My love of RC has always been there buy I just never considered scale truck or rock crawlers and I certainly never considered electric before now. I bought the RC4WD 1/18 D90 but once I got onto youtube watching crawling videos and competitions I knew I was hooked. The only thing I wish is that there was a stroger following here in NB Canada where I am from.

The crawling here would be amazing with multiple different terrain options just out the back door. The Canadian section on here seems a bit stagnant so hopefully people will read this and know there's one more Canadian out there.

I just just received my Trx4 in a shiny red although not for long. I plan on tearing it apart and adding my own twist to it and making it as capable as possible. Although I know the insane heavy body will pose some issues. But I'm raring to go.
FANATICRC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:32 AM   #2572

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;l t;

I'm still relatively new to the hobby about one year in.
My favorite thing about this hobby is creativity and customizing/personalising.
In the year I have learned to work with styrene where I've created my own fender flares, front and rear bumper, and other things Like surf boards, gopros, little accessories.
But before I get into all that I will introduce myself my name is Andrew out of LV, I have an MST cmx with a Tamiya FJ Cruiser body. RC4wd gladiator tires. 1.9 kmc machetes by vanquish. RC4wd kings 80mm front 70 mm rear.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Last edited by andygperez88; 02-21-2018 at 11:42 AM.
andygperez88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 05:26 PM   #2573
Rock Stacker

Who you are? Rob
What kind of rig you have? SCX-10 II
Where you live? Shawnee, OK

Noob to RC and I hadn't done any kind of modeling since I was a kid. Now in my early 40's and doing a scale build on the Jeep here. Been working on it since just before the holidays and I've got a rolling chassis. Still waiting on scissors, reamer and paint to do up the body. The local hobby shops are ok, been using the power of the Internet to do this build.
retro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:28 PM   #2574

Adam from Portland Oregon. I have been in and out of RC since I was a kid. I’ve had team associated buggies to HPI super nitro Rs4s. But I had been out of the hobby for 10 or so years till I got a Tamiya XV-01 last year. Love it but not super capable of taking on my back yard. I’ve been snooping on here for a bit and have decided to get a SCX10 ii. I’m just waiting for the local hobby shop to have one in stock. I might end up getting two and seeing if the kiddo is interested. He’s young but I think his interest will only grow. He wants to play with my XV-01 but it’s way too fast for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Awallspdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 09:19 PM   #2575
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANATICRC View Post
We'll add another new to crawler member number to the ranks. I've been into Nitro in the past but kind of fell away from it. My love of RC has always been there buy I just never considered scale truck or rock crawlers and I certainly never considered electric before now. I bought the RC4WD 1/18 D90 but once I got onto youtube watching crawling videos and competitions I knew I was hooked. The only thing I wish is that there was a stroger following here in NB Canada where I am from.

The crawling here would be amazing with multiple different terrain options just out the back door. The Canadian section on here seems a bit stagnant so hopefully people will read this and know there's one more Canadian out there.

I just just received my Trx4 in a shiny red although not for long. I plan on tearing it apart and adding my own twist to it and making it as capable as possible. Although I know the insane heavy body will pose some issues. But I'm raring to go.
Welcome to RCC Fanatic! I'm sure you'll like it here. Congrats on your trx-4 purchase. Please make a new build thread in the Traxxas TRX-4 section; we'd love to watch your progress. Also, you may find some more Canada crawlers on Facebook; here's what showed up for me:
Old 02-21-2018, 09:26 PM   #2576
RCC Addict

Default Re: Attn: NEWBIES POST HERE&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;lt;&amp;l t;

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygperez88 View Post
I'm still relatively new to the hobby about one year in.
My favorite thing about this hobby is creativity and customizing/personalising.
In the year I have learned to work with styrene where I've created my own fender flares, front and rear bumper, and other things Like surf boards, gopros, little accessories.
But before I get into all that I will introduce myself my name is Andrew out of LV, I have an MST cmx with a Tamiya FJ Cruiser body. RC4wd gladiator tires. 1.9 kmc machetes by vanquish. RC4wd kings 80mm front 70 mm rear.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Hey Andy, nice CMX; love the FJ body! Welcome to the end of having any money. LOLZ Actually, a few of us do manage to stick to a budget. ;) So how do you like your rig? Any pics under the body? Does it run a 540 brushed motor? Where is LV?
Old 02-21-2018, 09:33 PM   #2577
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by retro77 View Post
Who you are? Rob
What kind of rig you have? SCX-10 II
Where you live? Shawnee, OK

Noob to RC and I hadn't done any kind of modeling since I was a kid. Now in my early 40's and doing a scale build on the Jeep here. Been working on it since just before the holidays and I've got a rolling chassis. Still waiting on scissors, reamer and paint to do up the body. The local hobby shops are ok, been using the power of the Internet to do this build.
Welcome Rob! You're pretty adventurous to attempt a build after so many years off; keep up the good work. If you want some cheerleaders and advice, just start a new build thread in the scx10ii section here. What are you thinking about for electronics? What's your budget (if you have one)?

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 02-21-2018 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Just discovered the Honcho tires come glued
Old 02-21-2018, 09:47 PM   #2578
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awallspdx View Post
Adam from Portland Oregon. I have been in and out of RC since I was a kid. I’ve had team associated buggies to HPI super nitro Rs4s. But I had been out of the hobby for 10 or so years till I got a Tamiya XV-01 last year. Love it but not super capable of taking on my back yard. I’ve been snooping on here for a bit and have decided to get a SCX10 ii. I’m just waiting for the local hobby shop to have one in stock. I might end up getting two and seeing if the kiddo is interested. He’s young but I think his interest will only grow. He wants to play with my XV-01 but it’s way too fast for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Welcome back to the addiction Adam! The Scx10 ii is very capable with a few adjustments. Will you build it or get a RTR? I hear the new Honcho has metal transmission gears and stronger plastic links. At any rate, I recommend either rebuilding the shocks with Associated Green Slime and thicker silicone oil, or going with the Traxxas TRX-4 shocks. Maybe one of these will help you find some peeps to crawl with:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/oregon/

Last edited by StomperCrawler; 02-21-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 03:33 PM   #2579

Hi guys. Anthony is here. And this is my Wraith
Bought it on Ebay and I have some questions, can I ask here?
koaxoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:49 PM   #2580
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by koaxoal View Post
Hi guys. Anthony is here. And this is my Wraith
Bought it on Ebay and I have some questions, can I ask here?
Welcome Anthony! Best place to ask n00b questions is:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/newbie-general/

... and once you get the basics, you can go more in depth with the Wraith here:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-wraith/

BTW I couldn't see your pic; what service did you use?